Ive heard this going both ways...but is it as simple as putting a tube screamer in front of your heads distortion to get a heavier tone? I have a multi effects pedal that has a bunch of different distortion choices and putting this in front of my heavy channel sounds like crap (kinda expected that without having the 'true' pedal). Will it be different with a real tube screamer or a different OD/ distortion pedal? I have a decently heavy gain channel and was looking to get a more metal tone out of it but wondering if this quick fix is fact or fiction....thanks for the help.
Schecter C-1+, Fender American HSS Strat
Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb Head, rectifier 4x12 cab

the MuiltiEffect should work ok...
Make sure you put the gain/dist/od setting at 0 and the volume level at 10 (or whatever level you want).

That's the way you use it with an actual OD pedal..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
uhhh if i'm thinking of the right amp, yours should be like the randall MTS correct? different modules i mean? what kinda module is your dirty channel?

the multi/FX should work ok, prolly not great, but half way decent i would assume. but yea, a true OD pedal would be what you want for sure.

and jonmo1 is correct for the most part, but it's not a set rule that you CAN'T have gain on your OD pedal, i usually have some gain added from my fulltone fulldrive to get more saturation, but then again my pedal is pretty transparent so the gain added doesn't really make it sound like a completely different amp, rather than just making it sound like what my amp WOULD sound like if that module had more gain on tap lol. hope that made sense...

anyway, the better OD pedals should be fine with you having their gain knob adjusted as well as the level on top of your dirty channel. it just all depends on how far away from that 'heavier' tone you are. full level and zero gain is going to fatten everything up a little bit, but not add much more saturation. the gain WILL give you that added saturation and some more thickness.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Try a Digitech Bad Monkey in front of your amp. They cost buttons and are a great effect pedal. I use mine on the dirty channels of my Marshall and it creates a heavier and tighter sounding distortion. I wouldn't be without it now. When I used multi-fx instead it didn't have half the effect the Bad Monkey does.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Tubescreamers don't make your tone heavier, they tighten it up by cutting out some of the low end and boosting the mids. It's better for when you are playing quick stuff.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
A tiny bit of delay might ''thicken'' your tone, give that a shot too. Make sure to set it pretty fast with a fast decay.
^while that may be true, it's not worth buying a delay just to use it to thicken up a sound. if you're never gonna use it past a fraction of a milisecond for that 'heavier' doubling sound, it's not really worth it.

and to Fisch,
TS's CAN make the tone sound heavier, cutting out bass doesn't necessarily mean losing heaviness, you can always dial more back in on your amp, or if you've got a bass knob like the BM (VERY handy on such a cheap pedal!!) you can compensate. i think when people are saying 'heavier' tone they're implying some more sustain and thickness to the midrange for the most part anyway, as well as a bit of gain added.

not trying to fight with anyone, just trying to help give as much info as possible lol. you can't go wrong with a bad monkey, it's not the best but it's definitely a great pedal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^while that may be true, it's not worth buying a delay just to use it to thicken up a sound. if you're never gonna use it past a fraction of a milisecond for that 'heavier' doubling sound, it's not really worth it.

and to Fisch,
TS's CAN make the tone sound heavier, cutting out bass doesn't necessarily mean losing heaviness, you can always dial more back in on your amp, or if you've got a bass knob like the BM (VERY handy on such a cheap pedal!!) you can compensate. i think when people are saying 'heavier' tone they're implying some more sustain and thickness to the midrange for the most part anyway, as well as a bit of gain added.

not trying to fight with anyone, just trying to help give as much info as possible lol. you can't go wrong with a bad monkey, it's not the best but it's definitely a great pedal.

I agree, but he has a multi-effects pedal, so he should try some delay before buying another pedal. It should thicken his tone a bit, maybe that is all he needs.
getting a thicker, heavier tone has little to do with pedals. all you need to do is eq your amp properly. and yes that can sometimes mean turning down the mids a bit. if you are playing rhythm, you would be surprised how much dynamics and punch improve by lowering the gain slightly.
Chet, while a multi/FX pedal can offer some decent OD samples, don't ya think they're still lacking significantly compared to the real deal? that's how i've felt every time i've heard them on multi/fx pedals... but to each their own, i still think a delay for what you're saying is like a bazooka for a fly lol...no hate though.

and to FunkyAvacado,
you've got a point, but some amps have more natural ability to get to a certain heavy sound than others i assume, and i think the TS has probably already tried different EQ combinations to get as close to the sound as he could. and when you've done that, where do you go from THERE to get heavier? i think the only ideal option from there is either a different sounding guitar (a difference but not as great of one as a pedal will do) or an OD/boost/EQ pedal to add to that overall sound. but what you're saying about dynamics and lowering gain is definitely true no doubt.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
TS, I've recently been using nothing but a GE7(modded) EQ to slightly shelf(boost) the highs and cut the lowest guitar frequencies. It really tightens up the sound if you have particularly hard hitting pickups and gives more saturation across the board while keeping the amp from getting flubby from too much low end. You might give it a try. Even on your multi effect. Just put it before the amp and try the frequencies out, you may find that you dont need an extra OD, just a little tweak of what you've got.

Good luck, bro.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Quote by slash_rocks2005
Chet, while a multi/FX pedal can offer some decent OD samples, don't ya think they're still lacking significantly compared to the real deal? that's how i've felt every time i've heard them on multi/fx pedals... but to each their own, i still think a delay for what you're saying is like a bazooka for a fly lol...no hate though

You are still not understanding me. The guy wants to thicken his tone, he owns a multi-effects pedal, he asked about good OD pedals. I simply suggested he ALSO try to dial up a little delay on his multi-effects pedal and see if that helped him achieve the sound he wanted. I didn't recommend an OD pedal because people already made good suggestions and I had nothing to add about OD.

I agree with your point about multi-effects pedals. I don't generally like multi-effects pedals either, but they a they are good way to experiment with different tones/effects. Dedicated pedals generally give you more options in each effect and way better sound.
Last edited by Chetbango at Oct 13, 2009,
thanks guys for the replies, that bad monkey doesn't look too bad for the price, and its good to clear up the confusion about the tube screamer. I recently tried throwing a 10 band EQ into the chain and it helped wonders, definitely adds that definition i was looking for, but could be a little 'dirtier' . The multi fx pedal i have is about as good as dog **** as far as distortion goes, even with the gain at 0 and boosting level and bottom it sounds crappy. I don't think the delay solution was exactly what i was looking for but good thoughts none the less. If i get my hands on a ts9 or some other kind of OD pedal ill re-post how it goes but for now im (semi) satisfied
Schecter C-1+, Fender American HSS Strat
Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb Head, rectifier 4x12 cab