I have a couple Ibanez S2170SE Prestige models I'm looking to swap pickups in as they're the main guitars I use on stage. My band's music can be heard in my profile or here: www.myspace.com/madorchid.

Basically, I'm looking for very hot passive pickups that have great clarity (strong note separation in big open chords, for example), but that sound aggressive - not "metal" aggressive as I'm playing alt/hard rock, but "you can hear the pick scraping the strings" aggressive. The last thing I want is a sound anything like what you would get from a Les Paul through a Marshall. I don't want that dirty, muddy rock sound; I want hot, aggressive clarity that really rings out.

I don't mind spending some decent money on the right pickups but obviously the big problem is most "aftermarket" pickups are hard to find installed on a guitar to test out. Sound clips online or in videos rarely give you an idea of what you want and often don't give specifics about what guitars they're in and what amps/effects they're running through.
les paul plugged into a marshall is muddy and dirty? this is news to me...i find my LP through my randall (which is set up to sound like a marshall right now mind you) sounds far from muddy...aside from a pup swap it's as far from what you described as can be.

buuuttttt, i can vouch for the SD hot rodded set (JB and Jazz), they're very hot, tight, and do great for that hard rock sound. i wouldn't get them again only b/c i do a lot of clean playing along with my overdriven sound, and while they can do cleans alright, i'd rather have something more tame. with them being so hot, it was just more than i wanted for my clean tones.

also, pups are gonna help in articulating all the notes better, but not as much as your amp will. if (while your gain channel is on) you can't hardly hear the notes separately when you're playing multiple strings as of now, new pups aren't going to pull a whole makeover on that. either your amp's not particularly great in that gain dept. or you've got way too much over the top gain covering your sound, but i would think the better of amps can have the gain knob on full with OD on top and STILL have pretty good note definition.

what's your amp?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I'm using a 6505+ and will probably be picking up an Orange Rockerverb 50 sometime soon. I play the 6505+ on channel 1 with the crunch setting activated and the pre set to about 7. Channel two is great for metal but gets pretty hairy sounding for the stuff I'm playing. The Orange kicks ass and has some great clarity. It very much has the sound I'm looking for.

I don't know what LP you've got, but my Standard Premium Plus and Studio are both very muddy sounding guitars. My The Paul II cleans up a big and has a bit more of a clear, hot modern tone, but still nothing compared to my Ibanez. They're great for that classic rock sound but not for a good modern tone. There's no clarity in the notes on big open chords or even power chords. I'm not saying I don't like LPs as I have a few of them, just that when compared with, for example the V8 pickup in most of my Ibanez guitars, they're not clear.
Last edited by PSM at Oct 12, 2009,
^interesting, i dunno why that is really, any model of any brand guitar should be able to attain 'modern' tones well and have the articulation of notes within full chords that you're looking for. i guess maybe the pups just don't mesh with your amp like you've stated.

welll i don't have experience with either of those amps unfortunately so i can't speak from personal experience on those amps, but my assumption is more in the pups than the guitar seeing that you have a great amp.

the hot rodded set is worth checking out, some people don't like that combo, but most do. that's the thing with pups...peoples' tastes vary greatly on them...so many different types out there man...it's hard to find the PERFECT set that covers everything.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^interesting, i dunno why that is really, any model of any brand guitar should be able to attain 'modern' tones well and have the articulation of notes within full chords that you're looking for. i guess maybe the pups just don't mesh with your amp like you've stated.

welll i don't have experience with either of those amps unfortunately so i can't speak from personal experience on those amps, but my assumption is more in the pups than the guitar seeing that you have a great amp.

the hot rodded set is worth checking out, some people don't like that combo, but most do. that's the thing with pups...peoples' tastes vary greatly on them...so many different types out there man...it's hard to find the PERFECT set that covers everything.

I agree. And I didn't mean to imply that it's necessarily the body of the LP that gives it that sound so much as the pickups that come with these guitars. Like I said, my The Paul II has a much more modern, clear, and aggressive sound than the Standard or Studio, and it's most likely because of the pickups.