ok so basicly i'm a bit confused here, messing around with my sound all the time :p
atm I'm playing a jackson rr3, the sound I'm looking for goes closest to this:

bass:4, low mid 5, high mid 4, high 6

I mainly play death metal and this way it is actually possible to hear what i'm playing :p (if anyone is gonna answer this: no i'm not gonna scoop my mids)

this I combine with massive distortion (max on my me50) and tone maxed out.

the problem with this is that if I stop playing for more then lets say 2 seconds, I get enormous amounts of feedback :p

so i'm wondering what to do now? I might have to "shield" my guitar and get a noise supressor, right? or is there an easier way to get rid of this?

thx in advance for my nooby question

oh ps: the amp i'm playing trough is a 60w laney, can't exactly say which one because i'm not at home atm :p

cheers!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Try to loose some of the gain. Use the lowest amount you can while still sounding nice and heavy.

Also, don't have your guitar's volume control fully open. Roll it down a tad.
Roll down the volume on the guitar a bit, lose some of the distortion in the pedal, and keep yourself away from the amp if possible. Also stay away from lights, computers, TVs etc. The thing is, you don't need a ton of distortion to get that death metal sound. It's largely in the eq.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
the volume of my pickups is 1/3 for neck and 2/3 for bridge atm, I tend to use both pickups instead of going to the bridge one, stuff just sounds more clear if the neck pickup has something to do as well :p

going to turn my gain down bit by bit but i'm not rlly a fan of that, when I use massive gain and throw it into my amp it just sounds so powerfull, without turning into a muddy mess, but when its lower, it sounds a bit weak (which totally makes sense but still :p)

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
You're using way too much gain. A lot of heavier music doesn't use as much gain as you think. They get their heavier sound by their play-style.
Quote by Butthead
Roll down the volume on the guitar a bit, lose some of the distortion in the pedal, and keep yourself away from the amp if possible. Also stay away from lights, computers, TVs etc. The thing is, you don't need a ton of distortion to get that death metal sound. It's largely in the eq.

the lights/computers/tvs is a bitch! I actually get noise from my amp if its turned on without anything plugged into it, I live in quite an old building and it just pisses me off, theres even some idiot with a radio station nearby I think and sometimes when I'm playing I have the joy of snoop dogg joining me :s

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
You're using too much gain in an attempt to compensate for a lack of volume and that never really works.

Ultimately volume is the component missing from your sound, that's what you're hearing in the tones you're trying to emulate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by numinis
the volume of my pickups is 1/3 for neck and 2/3 for bridge atm, I tend to use both pickups instead of going to the bridge one, stuff just sounds more clear if the neck pickup has something to do as well :p

going to turn my gain down bit by bit but i'm not rlly a fan of that, when I use massive gain and throw it into my amp it just sounds so powerfull, without turning into a muddy mess, but when its lower, it sounds a bit weak (which totally makes sense but still :p)

To make it powerful just push the volume a little harder and use less gain. I play with my gain at about 2 o'clock with a nice chunk of volume and it's powerful enough to suit metal.

Edit: ^Ah, beat me to it.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at Oct 12, 2009,
well, I wouldn't turn my volume up here, i'm at uni and studying ppl would kick my ass if I did :p anyway I think i'll have to learn to live with it XD

</td><h1>yay!</h1>