I posted a thread a couple months ago, and I got a lot of good answers but I still couldn't decide, so I'm just posting one more thread to help me make a final decision.

I'm looking for an amp! I want to play psychedelic/classic rock/jam band stuff. Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Phish, Zeppelin, Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, etc. Budget is about $600-$700, probably buying used. My guitar is a Mexican Telecaster (used to have a USA strat, but sold it and bought a cheap Tele for food...).

No more than 2 channels, built in reverb would be nice so I have reverb until I can pick up a Malekko Spring Chicken. I'll mostly just be jamming with friends and recording, but I may be gigging at some point in time.

Not sure if I need anything else...if so, just ask. Thanks guys
Location?
Closest major city?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
This is just me, but I love the sound of Vox. I play some Phish and Pink floyd once in a while on my AC15 and get nice tones.
Yeah, I'm near Philly.

My only problem with the Blackhearts is the lack of FX loops since they break up pretty early.
No, I'm saying that because they break up early I would like an FX loop.

I'll consider the Classic 30, it seems nice. Thanks.
i still dont follow how having an effects loop can help solve an amp breaking up early. i'm not being sarcastic or "mean", just really curious as how to solve an overdriven tube with an effects loop. like, put an EQ set to below unity gain in the loop?
I think you're missing my point.

I'm not saying an FX loop helps tube break up, I'm saying that because the tubes break up early, I would want an FX loop on the amp.
Quote by black_waterpark
I think you're missing my point.

I'm not saying an FX loop helps tube break up, I'm saying that because the tubes break up early, I would want an FX loop on the amp.

I don't get it...

What isn't to get? You typically use an FX loops when an amp starts to overdrive. Because the Blackheart overdrives early, I'd want to have an FX loop so it doesn't sound like shit.
Guise,he need an amp with FX loop
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I see, I thought you were saying you wanted an effects loop to avoid ODing the amp. Classic 30 is a great recommendation. Another good amp for your needs might be Egnater Rebel 30, it is a bit out of your price range on the used market, but the variable tube and power knobs may help you reach the different tones of the bands you listed.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1416344697.html
Does it take pedals well?

Quote by fonda cox
get a ****ing deluxe reverb

those piece of **** blackhearts suck
Calm down big boy.

I would love a Deluxe Reverb, but can you find them for under $700?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Damn, thanks so much man.

I'm really interested in that Ampeg Gemini. Anything you know about it?
Ampegs like the Gemini (and reverberocket) are known for their super cleans, chimey like a fender with their own flavor. The reverb/trem circuit is one of the best sounding in any amp. The Ampeg guitar amps take pedals really well. I am not so sure the later 60's models are as desirable as the early-mid ones, they might sound great, but I have never played one.
Sorry for the double post, but would it be worth it to buy a Ceriatone JTM45 and save up for a cab?
I think it sounds like a good idea. It just comes down to whether you want American or British voicing.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
so you mean for using effects in the effects loop so they arent effected by the pre-amps distortion? is that what you mean by making it all sound like crap without an effects loop?

(yes, i'm still confused. i helped my mom hang some cabinets, thats why this response is so late)

addendum: the ceri JTM45 is a great amp for the price. nik is a good builder.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Oct 12, 2009,