Well what I mean by band / jamming theory is like I notice I, like many people, really get a lot of good compositions when thinking it through while sitting in my chair making up riffs/parts and writing what i play down and than making something to go behind it after i finish that certain part. This is because I have a good enough idea of theory to make music and such but if I am in a band setting and we say hey lets jam out a song it isnt no where near as good and this is to be expected I am sure but I've seen people jam out a very very potentially good song that only needs minor changes to be playable to an audience. I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how throw some theory into playing. Like kind of a planned jam? Like If I doing a chord progression and telling my lead guitarist to play based on that half the time alls he would do is make sure he starts on the root of the progression on each bar.. that doesnt really work out very well to say the least. How can I explain to the people I am jamming with what to do based on what I am doing and do so even if they have minimal knowledge of theory?

Sorry this is kinda vague and poorly explained but I am feeling weird up on my new adderall prescription haha so I am not sure if what I even said made any sense. Ask for clarification if needed. .
...what?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
i think i get what you're talking about. i write all the music for my band, and we never get anything really good out of jamming. the only sort of succesful jams were with only one guitarist, a drummer, and a bassist. even better when there's only a drummer and guitarist
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
um, i disagree strongly with your theory. if you have enough knowledge in music theory it shouldnt matter where you compose. a jam is just that, a jam. it isnt writing anything, its just playing music. if the others are lacking in music theory or skill, what you bring to it may SEEM to be diminished.

try this, to make sense of it. haveyour band play a simple 12 bar blues pattern (any key youre comfortable with), then solo over it. once you're done with your solo, switch off to another person to solo (rhythm guitar?), then bass, then drums, etc. see the quality of the solos? work on that.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
You can plan a jam of course, if you have a particular chord progression that sounds great and maybe you have some particular lead ideas that seem to work then that's pretty much the beginnings of a song right ?

Some songs have totally evolved just from a simple bassline.

Take ''Another one bites the dust'' for example bassline came first [it may not have but for arguments sake...] and the rest of the band fitted their respective parts around it.

Of course it all depends on what kind of style you are playing too. Styles like jazz / progressive music / instrumental are normally quite improvised whereas pop songs and rock songs etc have a set structure [verse chorus etc]

Jam the parts over and over and eventually you will start to get parts that keep recurring because you like them / they fit well
Last edited by Zanon at Oct 12, 2009,