Will the mics be able to tell a difference? I know it will be somewhat different if mics are used away from the cabs, but if all the mics are just inches from the speakers, can the mics tell a diff?
Probably nothing all that noticeable. The mic will pick up bits of the other speakers in the 4x12. However, you will be able to drive a single speaker into overdrive/compression more easily with the same amp. Something to keep in mind if you like to crank your amp. I personally like the sound of 1x12 and 2x12's much better than full size cabs.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
The difference in size between the 1x12 and the 4x12 will mean an obvious difference in tone coming from the speaker, regardless of where the mic is.

what two cabs are you comparing ?
Quote by TheDriller
The difference in size between the 1x12 and the 4x12 will mean an obvious difference in tone coming from the speaker, regardless of where the mic is.

what two cabs are you comparing ?

Fender Tweed Blues Jr. with a 12" Jensen ( Jensen sounds fabulous), and a Marshall 4x12 same amp section.
Quote by axuality
Fender Tweed Blues Jr. with a 12" Jensen ( Jensen sounds fabulous), and a Marshall 4x12 same amp section.

these two cabs are going to sound radically different. different size, different speakers, different construction, probably different woods used.

or maybe im missing the point of your original post?