I'm lookin to buy a new bass, and am wanting one that would be good for funk rock, a lot of slapping and pops. What would you guys suggest? Budget is around $500
Maybe on of flea's new basses? He just started his own brand that manufactures inexpensive basses (compared to the $3000+ Modulus basses he plays). I haven't played one yet, but based on his style they would sound good played in a funky way.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
You really need two threads? i'm not sure about the price, they might be a little higher than you can afford, but the musicman SUB line is like a budget line. They've been discontinued, but you can find them used. Not sure about three pricing, like I said.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
If you add maybe $100 to your budget, you could get a Sterling by Musicman. It's pretty much a basswood version of a Stingray (the $600 model)

EDIT: keep in mind Sterling is a budget Musicman. More importantly, how could I forget to recommend the P bass ?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 12, 2009,
First bass to come to mind was the Music man Stingray, until I saw the budget. If you can get together another $100, you could get a Sterling by Music Man bass (≠Music Man Sterling). Otherwise, get a Standard Jazz or used Deluxe Active Jazz.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I see Warwick Corvettes for 500 all the time on craigslist.

that is really good for funk man. if you dont have a pointless aversion to used gear, look. might even find the ol stingray.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I second P-Basses and sterling by MM.

They would be the best to get in your price range atm. You can always save more and get a more worthy one =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P