The screw that holds the guitar strap button on my Strat stripped the wood in the guitar and now won't stay in. This is on the end of the guitar, by the bridge. NOT the neck side.

I don't know what to do. Is there anything I can do besides drill another hole or am I going to have to do that?

Please help.

Thank you.

Edit: I use straplocks; I don't think this really changes anything though.
Whatever you don't get a bigger screw. It's seems like everyone says to do this, but they don't really think it through... it won't work.

Just take some toothpicks. Stick them in there and break them off at the top of the hole. Then re-screw. Easy fix. (You can add wood glue if you want to be more permanent .)
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by fonda cox
cum in it

Stop Spamming...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by Tom_Servo
Do toothpicks really work? Have you done/know someone that has done this? It doesn't sound very stable.
That would work fine, especially if you use a little wood glue or gorilla glue in there.

Or filler/water putty as mentioned before: http://www.waterputty.com/

http://www.waterputty.com/pages/repair.htm

"Fill Holes In Wood.

DURHAM'S Water Putty is ideal for filling knotholes, nail holes, oversized screw holes, and other defects in wood. Leave the putty uncolored if it is to be painted, or colored if it is to be matched with the wood"
Last edited by Commodor 64 at Oct 12, 2009,
Well I found some Gorilla Super Glue and tooth picks (only ones i found are all different colors :/ ) so i think I'm gonna try this method. Any tips or advice before I go about trying it? Do i just shove in as many toothpicks as possible, cut them so they're no longer than the guitar, and fill with Gorilla Glue?
Toothpicks will work but they're not the best method. For one, they're usually made of softwood not hardwood like your guitar body. Glue in of itself isn't terribly strong so if there are gaps between the toothpicks or whatever pieces of wood you use, it won't be as strong as solid wood glued into the hole. You can use epoxies to fil the hole and insert your screw, some are quite strong, but the screw may not be removable after. Another rmethod would be to buy a small length of hardwood dowel with a small diameter (say 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch) then using a drill the size of your dowel, drill out the screw hole cleanly. Then cut the dowel to length, apply glue and tap it into the hole and let dry overnite. You may want to score a line down the side of the dowel so excess glue can escape and the hydraulic pressure doesn' force the dowel back out. Then drill a small pilot hole and screw you starp screw back in (i'd recommend a longer screw the same thread & size for a better grip).
Moving on.....
Quote by biga29
Whatever you don't get a bigger screw. It's seems like everyone says to do this, but they don't really think it through... it won't work.

Just take some toothpicks. Stick them in there and break them off at the top of the hole. Then re-screw. Easy fix. (You can add wood glue if you want to be more permanent .)

can u explain why a bigger screw wont work? i just did that to my guitar and seems to be fine. iv pulled it out as hard as i can and it didnt budge, but if theres problems ahead id like to know. thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Tom_Servo
Do toothpicks really work? Have you done/know someone that has done this? It doesn't sound very stable.

i did it on a guitar. it works for a while, but its really just a quick fix. nothing wrong with drilling another hole or using wood filler. just make sure you dont rush into whatever you do.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
can u explain why a bigger screw wont work? i just did that to my guitar and seems to be fine. iv pulled it out as hard as i can and it didnt budge, but if theres problems ahead id like to know. thanks.

if you put a bigger screw into a smaller hole you can risk cracking the wood.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
If I'm trying the toothpick method, should I let the glue dry THEN screw the screw back in?

OR

Screw it in before the glue dries and have it glue the actual screw into place?
i had this prob on a few of my guitars. take a tooth pick, stick it in the hole, snap it in the hole, remove it, flip it (point facing out of hole), OPTIONAL a very small ammount of wood glue. u might need 2. good luck.
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

Because what happens when that screw strips? Are you gonna get another bigger screw? Eventually the screw won't fit inside the strap button...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
Because what happens when that screw strips? Are you gonna get another bigger screw? Eventually the screw won't fit inside the strap button...

well im hoping it doesnt strip all that often. i play standing up sometimes, in my bedroom, not on stage. the screw still fit in the peg, and i didnt have to force it that hard to crack the wood. if it does strip, id probably feel most comfortable make a new hole instead of doing some of these "fixes", or just not use it standing.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
well im hoping it doesnt strip all that often. i play standing up sometimes, in my bedroom, not on stage. the screw still fit in the peg, and i didnt have to force it that hard to crack the wood. if it does strip, id probably feel most comfortable make a new hole instead of doing some of these "fixes", or just not use it standing.

Well, strap button screws are gonna come unscrewed because of the force of the strap. And every time you re-tighten it, it strips the wood a little. The toothpick method actually works really well.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦