I started learning theory in it's whole recently. I'm now trying to learn chord notation, since there seems to be so many suffixes and all.

For the sake of things, I'll just use E. So I figured that a simple two-string power chord is an E5, because it basicly involves a fifth interval. And what if you add the 7th note, would that make an E5add7?

And hum I was wondering, what are some "suffixes" I should go about learning first? I can basicly understand power chords and simple major and minor chords now(I understand them with the scales and the intervals).
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

C = C E G
Cm = C Eb G
C+ = C E G#
C° = C Eb Gb

Cmaj7 = C E G B
Cm7 = C Eb G Bb
C7 = C E G Bb
C°7 = C Eb Gb Bbb
Cm7b5 = C Eb Gb Bb

Cadd9 = C E G D
Cmaj9 = C E G B D
Cm9 = C Eb G Bb D
C9 = C E G Bb D

Csus2 = C D G
Csus4 = C F G
C7sus4 = C F G Bb
Quote by Spike6sic6

For the sake of things, I'll just use E. So I figured that a simple two-string power chord is an E5, because it basicly involves a fifth interval. And what if you add the 7th note, would that make an E5add7?

That would usually just be named E7(no 3rd)

Quote by Spike6sic6

And hum I was wondering, what are some "suffixes" I should go about learning first? I can basicly understand power chords and simple major and minor chords now(I understand them with the scales and the intervals).

When you know the major, minor, diminished, augmented and suspended triads it's time to move onto 7th chords. Start out slow with minor, major and dominant chords.
The lessons on www.musictheory.net are good if you want thorough explanations.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by KoenDercksen
Esus7
It what you want, and how the context is.

Where are you getting that from?
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

- John Coltrane
Quote by KoenDercksen
You're not saying you thought you can only suspend to 2 or 4 right...
That's just the most used. Why not suspend to 7?

Because the 7th doesnt suspend the 3rd but just functions as 7th. The same counts for a sus4 when there's a 3rd; the 4th becomes 11th cause there's a 3rd.
Last edited by deHufter at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by KoenDercksen
You're not saying you thought you can only suspend to 2 or 4 right...
That's just the most used. Why not suspend to 7?

"sus" on its own is taken to mean sus4.

Therefore, sus7 would be read by most people as 7sus4.
just had to clarify,"E5" is NOT a chord. a chord by definition is three DIFFERENT notes or more.
"E5" is an interval,you`re playing intervals when you play "power chords".
Quote by becker89
just had to clarify,"E5" is NOT a chord. a chord by definition is three DIFFERENT notes or more.
"E5" is an interval,you`re playing intervals when you play "power chords".

E5 is not an interval it's a dyad. An interval is the distance between two notes.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
yeah thats what i meant,i`m just not familiar with the correct terminology in english,
its not my mother tongue.
No problem.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
its just funny how ignorant are people on that matter.
i teach guitar,and i`ve had some student that came to me and said he knows a lot of chords.
so i asked him to tell me some,and he`s like "well : D,Em,C,A5,G4,B5" lol..
the "G4" was actually a perfect fourth diad.. go figure