Page 1 of 3
My ENGL Thunder 50 'Drive' combo arrived today

Sounds amazing, it's my first tube amp aswell - massive step up from a vox valvetronix and an MG... lol

edit: Just turned it back on, and the clean channel is normal, ut the crunch/lead channels are really quiet on the same volume i had them on before... On 2 for master and lead channel volumes before they were really loud, and now they sound really quiet? help??
Quote by osXtiger
I cook children who are born out of wedlock on a spit.

CHICAGO BEARS - LA KINGS - USC - BURNLEY FC

GO KINGS!

‎'Senna não morreu, porque os deuses não morrem'

Bruno Senna
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Oct 12, 2009,
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Pic or its a Spider 3
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan

Sounds amazing, it's my first tube amp aswell - massive step up from a vox valvetronix and an MG... lol

Pics coming soon

edit: Just turned it back on, and the clean channel is normal, ut the crunch/lead channels are really quiet on the same volume i had them on before... On 2 for master and lead channel volumes before they were really loud, and now they sound really quiet? help??

First off, congrats, I've heard great things about those ENGLs. Second, your volume issue sounds like a loose or blown tube, possibly. I'm no tech and even if I was I wouldn't be able to know for sure without looking, but I'm guessing one of your preamp tubes is failing. I would carefully tighten them all down and see if that helps. If not I would swap them around in different positions or replace one at a time with spares (if you have spares.) Other than that, I'd say take it to a tech or start the warranty/return process if you bought new.

Edit: Also, the two posts above me are abominations and you two should be ashamed. You could at least say congrats.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I demand Pics and clips.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Can't help you there, but it's a great amp. I'd actually take it over the screamer combo.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Bostonrocks
I demand Pics and clips.

Dammit Brett. Why would you want clips of a broken amp?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Dammit Brett. Why would you want clips of a broken amp?

In fairness, broken ENGL > my MG. Still, wanna get it fixed, but as i said, i'm a tube noob.... So hopefully it won't be to hard.

And the pics are uploading to photobucket now
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan

the tubes probably havent warmed up enough yet. let it sit for a minute while on.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
the tubes probably havent warmed up enough yet. let it sit for a minute while on.

Ya, I wondered this, but that wouldn't explain the clean channel working. I think it definitely has to do with the preamp tubes associated with the gain channels.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Engl = Awesome.
Really nice, if I had the cash I'd get the Engl Special Edition Preamp and a good poweramp (maybe Mesa Boogie or something).

Congrats on the amp though.
Would be nice to get some feedback after you've used it for a while, cause it looks as if it only has one eq section for 2 Channels - that I don't particularly like so much. Post a review after a few months/weeks. No all 10's though. lol !

Cheers !
Congratz!!!
Quote by Charlie4
Engl = Awesome.
Really nice, if I had the cash I'd get the Engl Special Edition Preamp and a good poweramp (maybe Mesa Boogie or something).

Congrats on the amp though.
Would be nice to get some feedback after you've used it for a while, cause it looks as if it only has one eq section for 2 Channels - that I don't particularly like so much. Post a review after a few months/weeks. No all 10's though. lol !

Cheers !

Thanks

And yeah, the shared eq is the only thing i was bothered about in the store etc. but i loved the tone so i decided i would live with it But then i bought it off the internet because of the price
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Thanks

And yeah, the shared eq is the only thing i was bothered about in the store etc. but i loved the tone so i decided i would live with it But then i bought it off the internet because of the price

Any new development? Why are you not freaking out?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I am freaking out!

An no, no new developments. i'm gonna take the metal cagey thing off the back that is covering the tubes etc. and have a poke around inside. but i ahve no idea what i am doing/looking for. This can only go badly....
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
tubetime, I don't know how is an abomination ...he didn't post pics yet when I posted so I was just chillin' eating some popcorn til he did. Meh, no beef.

HNAD man. I hope you get your amp problem situated and you get to enjoy that Engl in all its glory!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
I am freaking out!

An no, no new developments. i'm gonna take the metal cagey thing off the back that is covering the tubes etc. and have a poke around inside. but i ahve no idea what i am doing/looking for. This can only go badly....

OK, first off, deep breath. DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT YOU ARE UNSURE OF! What I'm asking you to do is very routine, and will not put you in risk of electric shock, however if you don't follow my directions and get off course you may be at risk.

Ok, now that I've got that part out of the way. Open it up so you can see the tubes. You will see two big glass tubes exposed and several, probably 3 or 4, smaller ones most likely housed in metal cylinders. These smaller ones are the preamp tubes. To remove the metal housing you need to push in a little and turn about a quarter turn to release, then carefully pull off. Don't force it, if it doesn't feel right STOP IMMEDIATELY. Now you should have your preamp tubes exposed. First I would just push in firmly but carefully on each. Then test the amp, it is fine to start it up with the tubes exposed.

If this does not solve the problem I would start swapping the tubes out with a spare. I'm guessing you don't have a spare, so just swap their positions around a bit (just the little preamp tubes marked 12ax7.) They pull straight out and push straight in, just put the end in the socket, spin slowly while very gently pushing, and it will pop into place, then push firmly to seat the tube. If moving tubes around in this way makes the problem move channels or causes a change at all then it is a preamp tube gone bad.

If this has not changed anything, you are SOL, its time for a tech.

AGAIN TAKE YOUR TIME, AND IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT ANYTHING PLEASE POST BEFORE YOU ACT. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP. DO EXACTLY WHAT I SAID AND YOU WILL CAUSE NO DAMAGE TO YOU OR THE AMP, DEVIATE FROM MY DIRECTIONS AND AT ALL AND YOU WILL DIE!

LaidBack - Mostly a joke, I was just upset for him. NADs should never be spent trouble shooting.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
OK, first off, deep breath. DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT YOU ARE UNSURE OF! What I'm asking you to do is very routine, and will not put you in risk of electric shock, however if you don't follow my directions and get off course you may be at risk.

Ok, now that I've got that part out of the way. Open it up so you can see the tubes. You will see two big glass tubes exposed and several, probably 3 or 4, smaller ones most likely housed in metal cylinders. These smaller ones are the preamp tubes. To remove the metal housing you need to push in a little and turn about a quarter turn to release, then carefully pull off. Don't force it, if it doesn't feel right STOP IMMEDIATELY. Now you should have your preamp tubes exposed. First I would just push in firmly but carefully on each. Then test the amp, it is fine to start it up with the tubes exposed.

If this does not solve the problem I would start swapping the tubes out with a spare. I'm guessing you don't have a spare, so just swap their positions around a bit (just the little preamp tubes marked 12ax7.) They pull straight out and push straight in, just put the end in the socket, spin slowly while very gently pushing, and it will pop into place, then push firmly to seat the tube. If moving tubes around in this way makes the problem move channels or causes a change at all then it is a preamp tube gone bad.

AGAIN TAKE YOUR TIME, AND IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT ANYTHING PLEASE POST BEFORE YOU ACT. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP. DO EXACTLY WHAT I SAID AND YOU WILL CAUSE NO DAMAGE TO YOU OR THE AMP, DEVIATE FROM MY DIRECTIONS AND AT ALL AND YOU WILL DIE!

LaidBack - Mostly a joke, I was just upset for him. NADs should never be spent trouble shooting.

Thanks man, i'll be sure to try it as soon as i finish my geography essay - about 10 minutes or so... >_<
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Quote by tubetime86

First off, alright, we're cool . Second off, good advise. Was gonna say basically the same thing.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
make sure you dont touch the tube barehand
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Thanks man, i'll be sure to try it as soon as i finish my geography essay - about 10 minutes or so... >_<

Ya, give it a few minutes, I've got some reinforcements coming to double check my advice. Its pretty simple stuff and I'm 99.9% sure I've got it right, but I don't want to risk it. I am 100% sure you can do what I said with no risk of injury, the only thing I want to double check is that moving the preamp tubes will be OK. The only reason it wouldn't be is if they are a few different types... Which I doubt. If they all say 12ax7 then you're fine.

Anyway like I said, just check back in a few and you'll have some more pointers, I'm sure.

Quote by O.O Meow O.O
make sure you dont touch the tube barehand

This is a life of the tube thing, but ya its good advice. Also I should add; don't lick your fingers then touch anything while your in there.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86

1. As long as you don't stick your fingers in holes where they don't belong
2. My engl had a different system to take the casing off. Just squeeze and pull. If its cylinders you're correct though.
3. Can also take them out and put them back in to make sure you have a good connection
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
1. As long as you don't stick your fingers in holes where they don't belong
2. My engl had a different system to take the casing off. Just squeeze and pull. If its cylinders you're correct though.
3. Can also take them out and put them back in to make sure you have a good connection

Thanks Mark, I was hoping you'd come here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Haha no prob. I'm worried this may be a power tube issue though. Volume drops usually = power tube I think.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Haha no prob. I'm worried this may be a power tube issue though. Volume drops usually = power tube I think.

But then wouldn't it be on the clean as well as dirty channels? That's the only reason I'm thinking pre-amp. Preamp tubes are, usually, channel specific, whereas power amp tubes are always in use... At least if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
But then wouldn't it be on the clean as well as dirty channels? That's the only reason I'm thinking pre-amp. Preamp tubes are, usually, channel specific, whereas power amp tubes are always in use... At least if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure either. It could just be more apparent on the clean/crunch channel. Lets just hope its the preamp tubes though. Taking those out and putting them back in once or twice with contact cleaner should get the connections going.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I'm not sure either. It could just be more apparent on the clean/crunch channel. Lets just hope its the preamp tubes though. Taking those out and putting them back in once or twice with contact cleaner should get the connections going.

Agreed, to be completely honest this is the limit of my knowledge anyways. If it is anything more in depth than this, I will not be comfortable advising someone to tinker. So I'd say eliminate this possibility, then we are getting into tech territory.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
First off - thanks for the help guys

Secondly - i can't even get the back off, because one of the screws has rounded off and my screwdrivers don't fit properly D:
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
I'm just gonna give up and take it to a tech - i see lots of metal boxes etc. and i have no idea what i can and can't do, so i won't do anything....
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
I'm just gonna give up and take it to a tech - i see lots of metal boxes etc. and i have no idea what i can and can't do, so i won't do anything....

Probably for the best... Sorry man.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The fact that it was for my birthday, which was on the 1st of October makes it even worse lol. We ordered it like a week before my birthday and it arrived today. I played for about an hour, and then did my work. then it died D:
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
I'm sorry, mate. That's sadening.

If this has been covered already, forgive me, but why didn't you simply send it back for a replacement? I'm assuming you bought it new that is?
I was gonna ask you if it could do br00tz on its own, but then I scrolled down. Sorry dude.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hnad.. when you get it repaired
It's a sad day when an Engl dies.. even worse when it's the first day
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Ya, actually AG makes a good point. If you bought this new you need to get your money back, or a new amp. If you bought it from Craigslist or something similar, you should at least try for some money back, and hope for the best.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's being sent back to GAK.com....

Dunno how long until i get a new one though.. They took ages last time lol
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan

You should get your money back and buy off Thomann. Quite a bit cheaper for Engl.
Quote by tubetime86

Depends.

Most amps are, although there are a small minority of amps which feature a slightly different gain structure and make use of a cascading signal through more than 1 preamp tube (e.g. I think the channels of the Mark V run through a combination of a few different preamp tubes for each of the 3 channel). In this case, you'll need the tech sheet to figure out how the preamp tubes are linked.

Also. Sorry to hear the bad new TS. I'd feel gutted too if I had to wait 2 weeks for my birthday gift to arrive, and then be DOA.

Look on the bright side tho, at least you identified a lemon early on rather than after a month or later... at which point, you might have to handle the whole thing yourself.

Hope the replacement rwaks.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan

Just out of curiosity, why did you get it from GAK for £764 when you can get them for £664 on Thomann.de?
British prices for ENGL's are ridiculous.
Page 1 of 3