I seem to have an acidic sweat, cuz my guitar strings get rusty in a week of playing with em. I used to clean them with isopropilic alcohol and some cotton, but I don't know if there's a better homemade way to keep your guitar strings top notch.
I've got the same thing when I play. I just wipe down my strings constantly. The nickel wears off like always but the strings stay smooth and playable.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I did clean them with a cloth, but they started getting rusty and gaining that texture all around em. So then I had to go with the alcohol.
Always wash your hands with soap before and after you play guitar.
It's easy, and sanitary!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Always wash your hands with soap before and after you play guitar.
It's easy, and sanitary!

this, and/or alcohol string wipes.

also, ive found the type of strings you get also affect how they deteriorate, for example, i have ernie balls on one of my guitar atm, and theyve already started to rust, where on my other i have dean markley blue steels, and they have yet to rust in the slightest (put on at the same time)
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
You can also get some silica gel packs and stick them in your guitar case and keep your guitar in there. It helps to control humidity and avoid corrosion.
Quote by TK1
this, and/or alcohol string wipes.

also, ive found the type of strings you get also affect how they deteriorate, for example, i have ernie balls on one of my guitar atm, and theyve already started to rust, where on my other i have dean markley blue steels, and they have yet to rust in the slightest (put on at the same time)

Weird, bro! I'm using now some reg Blue Steels, and the ones before them were Blue Steels as well, and they lasted no more than two months. They were playable, yes, but they started to sound double the higher the fret I played them.

However, the only time I used Ernie Ball, they really lasted. Don't remember how much though.
Quote by KillahSquirrel
You can also get some silica gel packs and stick them in your guitar case and keep your guitar in there. It helps to control humidity and avoid corrosion.

I have the ones that came with the case, but maybe they're expired...
if you don't mind spending money, it'd probably a better investment to buy some string coater to help up the durability.
I've yet to use one, but I plan to pick some up with my next set of strings since it makes sense to prolong the life of strings for a small cost instead of having to constantly replace strings.
otherwise, just wash your hands a lot and wipe down your strings, as was suggested.
Quote by _Xaos_
I seem to have an acidic sweat, cuz my guitar strings get rusty in a week of playing with em. I used to clean them with isopropilic alcohol and some cotton, but I don't know if there's a better homemade way to keep your guitar strings top notch.

It's not homemade, but I use a product called "Fingerease" which keeps the strings really slick and rust-free for the most part. I spray it liberally on a soft cotton rag and wipe each string down separately. If you do it right, you'll see little skid marks on your rag where the rust/dirt comes off. In addition, you can spray it directly on the strings, but it's time consuming getting it all wiped up afterwards...

That, combined with what the other people said (washing your hands every time you play, and wiping down the strings every time you're done) should keep your strings nice for several weeks, depending on how often you play.
Last edited by degradated at Oct 12, 2009,
Most of the ways have already been mentioned: washing your hands, wiping down the strings, etc. Basically, you just want to keep trying to clean them.

However, if they are still rusty, you might want to give coated strings a try. I use Elixir Strings, and while they are more expensive than your regular strings, they last a whole lot longer, take much longer to rust, and don't lose their tone or intonation as quick as regular strings. Try them out if you want.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
Most of the ways have already been mentioned: washing your hands, wiping down the strings, etc. Basically, you just want to keep trying to clean them.

However, if they are still rusty, you might want to give coated strings a try. I use Elixir Strings, and while they are more expensive than your regular strings, they last a whole lot longer, take much longer to rust, and don't lose their tone or intonation as quick as regular strings. Try them out if you want.
this entire post

Elixers ftw