Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me with a few tone issues...

my current gear set-up is:

Guitar - Gibson Les Paul Studio
Amp - Line 6 Spider III (30 Watt)

I don't really know a lot about how to get the tones i'm looking for, i just usually play with it like this:

Guitar - (Treble) & Full Treble pick-up volume & tone control, no volume for the rhythm control volume...

Amp - (Insane Mode)
Drive - about 6/10, but sometimes 5...
Bass - usually no more than 5/10
Mid - sometimes full, sometimes about 4 or 5/10
Treble - about 7/10
Chan. Volume - around 5/10
no effects, just a little reverb..

so basically, can anyone give me any advice on how to get some good tones?
Quote by Steven182

I don't really know a lot about how to get the tones i'm looking for, i just usually play with it like this:

Guitar - (Treble) & Full Treble pick-up volume & tone control, no volume for the rhythm control volume...

Amp - (Insane Mode)
Treble - about 7/10

wow, ''good'' tone is so subjective. Can you name some bands that you wish to sound like?
blame the spider
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by Steven182

Amp - (Insane Mode)
Treble - about 7/10

What is it you don't like about the settings you describe? 'Good tone' is completely subjective, so your guess is as good as mine. That being said, your amp is generally considered pretty terrible, and most people are going to tell you there are no useable tones to be had from that amp. These people are pompous, and unhelpful, however their claim is pretty well agreed upon by most here.

Basically, either find tones YOU like, or buy a new amp. UG will not give you an in-between.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Steven182

Amp - (Insane Mode)
Treble - about 7/10

there's your problem
What music do you play? Any specific examples of tones you are after? Also, clips are very much needed.

If you can make clips, visit the thread in my sig.
WTLTL 2011
just blow it up with C4 and buy a nice amp
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Well, since "good" is subjective, we'd need a few pointers to help you. Name a couple of bands whoose tones you enjoy, for example.

Also, you're not going to like this, but you're playing through a beginner's amp. While there's a lot of nice small amps out there, the Spider III 30 isn't one of them. Most people end up replacing it after a year or so.
hey guys, - sorry about not putting more on the message, i was typingit out & then my internet went off, so i just had to cut it off...

heres the rest! :

some bands i'm basing my tone/s around :

Sum 41 (Newer guitarist Tom, during 2007-09, his tone is quite different...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B80LVn8xXA (MASTER OF PUPPETS COVER)
Green Day (original GD Tone)
Avril Lavigne (Guitarists Jim McGorman & Steve Feteke during The Best Damn Tour 2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3M9y72esNM (tour trailer)

I always find that my tone sounds ok while i'm playing, but when i record & listen back, its way too distorted (too much gain)... i guess this could be because it's on 'Insane' , but i've not really taken a likening to the 'metal' or crunch' tones....

& yeah, i did read (after buying) a lot of bad reviews on my amp... but i've had it for about a year now, and as i'm not in need of an amp for live play, its ok for me 4 now...

one more note, - i have a G1 Effects Pedal that i got a while ago, never really used it much after getting a good electric guitar, but i wanted to have a good tone set up so i can do some singing over the top of electric gtr, rather than just acoustic all the time... so i set it up, & you can edit the guitar tone patch settings on it... so i set the 1st patch to a blank (took all effects off, no added extras, so i could get just what was coming through the amp..) , which was ok (but still a bit too over powering...), and the 2nd patch set to an acoustic simulator (so i can switch for the softer parts of my songs..). The problem was, because the amp was on 'insane', the acoustic effect wasnt any good....

(phew!) basically, can anyone help me find, (using the gear i have), 2 tones for singing with, where i can switch via foot pedal? ... i probably just need to buy new stuff, right?!

so yeah... any advice is great! thanks guys
Quote by Steven182
I always find that my tone sounds ok while i'm playing, but when i record & listen back, its way too distorted (too much gain)... i guess this could be because it's on 'Insane' , but i've not really taken a likening to the 'metal' or crunch' tones....

& yeah, i did read (after buying) a lot of bad reviews on my amp... but i've had it for about a year now, and as i'm not in need of an amp for live play, its ok for me 4 now...

If you find there's too much gain either change from Insane to something else or just turn down the drive. But honestly you're playing a good guitar through a sub-par amp, the Spider is the main part of your tone. The best thing you could do is replace it.
^ right... any amp suggestions? i've heard marshall is good... although, may have to wait til xmas, so if i could get good enough tone setting/settings for now...
Quote by Steven182
^ right... any amp suggestions? i've heard marshall is good... although, may have to wait til xmas, so if i could get good enough tone setting/settings for now...

Well if you're waiting til Christmas you've got plenty of time to work out what you want. I'd avoid the Marshalls like MGs which are around the price range of the Line 6 Spider, they won't be a step up from the Spider. Work with your spider to get some decent tones and you can look at other amps in the meantime. If you give me a rough budget I might be able to help. Someone else who knows your amp can help you with settings I guess.
yeah.. well budget wise... im not really sure (didnt really plan on getting a new one yet, as i'm only really practicing right now...) but when i do upgrade, i'd say i'll look around the £400.

yeah, hope so!
Quote by Steven182
yeah.. well budget wise... im not really sure (didnt really plan on getting a new one yet, as i'm only really practicing right now...) but when i do upgrade, i'd say i'll look around the £400.

yeah, hope so!

At £400 there should be plenty of amps to look at. You're in the range of plenty of small tube amps at that price.
cool... i guess i'll have a general browse also, can you tell me about theses amp heads and stack amps etc? i dont have a clue what i'm talking about... but i know that a lot of amps come in parts (the top bit, the bottom bit ) ....
Quote by Steven182
cool... i guess i'll have a general browse also, can you tell me about theses amp heads and stack amps etc? i dont have a clue what i'm talking about... but i know that a lot of amps come in parts (the top bit, the bottom bit ) ....

You can either have a stack, which consists of an amp head with an attached cab - the nice thing about this is that you can decide what cab to get, so you have more control over what your tone will be like. The downside is that this is a bit pricier than a combo.

Or you get a combo, which is an amp with a speaker (or several speakers) in one box. It's generally cheaper than a stack of the same quality. You can still hook it up to other cabs in most cases, but why buy a combo if you're going to use a cab anyway? Large combos are also a bitch to transport.

While stacks are nice, I generally don't recommend going for one unless you have at least 1000€ to spend (and that's talking about used stuff!) - sure there are stacks available for less, but most are pretty mediocre - you can have a mediocre stack for that money, or a good combo. I'd rather have something that is good. So I'd say stay away from stacks at the moment.

There's also mini-stacks, which combine a low powered amp head with a small (usually 1x12") cab, which are a little pricier than the combo versions of said stacks, but still good enough value for the money, so they might be worth a look.

My recommendations:
If you don't need much power, look at a Blackstar HT5, either combo or mini-stack:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht5_combo.htm
This'll be a good bit louder than your Spider, but will still struggle in band situations if the drummer gets a bit enthusiastic... but it's cheap, sounds nice and will do all sorts of rock tones just fine.

If you need more power, these two come to mind:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75481
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_edition_tube_25th_anniversary.htm
Both a bit over your budget, but well worth it! They're versatile and will be loud enough for band use. I prefer the H&K since it doesn't get too fizzy with a lot of gain like the Laney, but both are worth a try.

Now, the pinnacle of tone in your price range imo:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75485
This is a really really good sounding amp for anything blues or rock. The cleans beat the three amps mentioned above by far, and so do the blues and old school rock tones. Only problem: It doesn't have as much gain and therefore is less flexible. But that can easily be helped with a booster like this one:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/dbm-bad/13051
It also looks like the VC30 dropped in price, it used to be about as much as the LC30 until recently. I'd personally go for this, unless you need a lot more distortion.
How does the Spider Line 6 line compare to the Fender Stage 1000 line? The Stage 1000 is a SS amp with digital effects too.

I always see people saying things like...Eric Johnson could take the crappiest amp int he world and make it sound great....so why is it that these Spiders are so bad?
New Amp...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by Commodor 64
How does the Spider Line 6 line compare to the Fender Stage 1000 line? The Stage 1000 is a SS amp with digital effects too.

I always see people saying things like...Eric Johnson could take the crappiest amp int he world and make it sound great....so why is it that these Spiders are so bad?

Well, Eric Johnson sure would sound better playing through a Spider than me playing through a Spider, but Eric Johnson would sound even better through a good amp.

Look at it like this: Louis Hamilton in a Fiat Punto is still faster than me in a Ferrari on a racetrack, but does that make the Punto any better? Nah.
Marshall Class 5 would be good for you I think. I know GD & Sum 41 both use Marshall and this thing is Marshall tone in a small box BUT I'd advise that you try it first because you might not find it 100% what you're looking for.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

thanks for ur advice on amps guys i will be sure to look at some marshalls/blackstar/ etc.. and will prob. stick with a combo (now i know the difference!)

just 1 thing, out of the videos i put up, can anyone help me find a close tone to any of those with my current gear?

thanks
Quote by TheQuailman
You can either have a stack, which consists of an amp head with an attached cab - the nice thing about this is that you can decide what cab to get, so you have more control over what your tone will be like. The downside is that this is a bit pricier than a combo.

Or you get a combo, which is an amp with a speaker (or several speakers) in one box. It's generally cheaper than a stack of the same quality. You can still hook it up to other cabs in most cases, but why buy a combo if you're going to use a cab anyway? Large combos are also a bitch to transport.

While stacks are nice, I generally don't recommend going for one unless you have at least 1000€ to spend (and that's talking about used stuff!) - sure there are stacks available for less, but most are pretty mediocre - you can have a mediocre stack for that money, or a good combo. I'd rather have something that is good. So I'd say stay away from stacks at the moment.

There's also mini-stacks, which combine a low powered amp head with a small (usually 1x12") cab, which are a little pricier than the combo versions of said stacks, but still good enough value for the money, so they might be worth a look.

My recommendations:
If you don't need much power, look at a Blackstar HT5, either combo or mini-stack:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht5_combo.htm
This'll be a good bit louder than your Spider, but will still struggle in band situations if the drummer gets a bit enthusiastic... but it's cheap, sounds nice and will do all sorts of rock tones just fine.

If you need more power, these two come to mind:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75481
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_edition_tube_25th_anniversary.htm
Both a bit over your budget, but well worth it! They're versatile and will be loud enough for band use. I prefer the H&K since it doesn't get too fizzy with a lot of gain like the Laney, but both are worth a try.

Now, the pinnacle of tone in your price range imo:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75485
This is a really really good sounding amp for anything blues or rock. The cleans beat the three amps mentioned above by far, and so do the blues and old school rock tones. Only problem: It doesn't have as much gain and therefore is less flexible. But that can easily be helped with a booster like this one:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/dbm-bad/13051
It also looks like the VC30 dropped in price, it used to be about as much as the LC30 until recently. I'd personally go for this, unless you need a lot more distortion.

Duck, I admire your zeal!

(for better or worse )
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Steven182

Amp - (Insane Mode)
Treble - about 7/10

That's your problem.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I also recommend that you look at buying second hand - I got my AC15 60% off the normal shop price (according to Google, anywho). A few scratches on the side, but who's going to notice?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Kyose
i just stopped at line 6 spider III........
Yep, you certainly stopped alright.

I'd second what Quailman said... the Laney VC30 is a great amp.

A Peavey Valveking is also amp to look into, as is a Fender SuperChamp XD.

You've got the Blackheart Little Giant (which may need an extra overdrive to boost the gain to your tastes), Vox Night Train, Peavey Windsor Studio, Orange Tiny Terror, Kustom Defender, Line 6 Spider Valve 112, Randall RG 50 TC and Peavey Classic 30. Any of those could be ideal for you.