I am been playing guitar for 5 years now, the last year i have actually been playing quite a bit and improving instead of just retaining basic knowledge as i had the years before.

I am wondering how i get started teaching myself to be more creative when making up riffs and such. Everytime i make up new stuff it sounds very similar to something i have previously played. I also stuggle with knowing what and how to just begin playing and create new music.

If anyone has tips on how i should train myself in order to become more creative and able to create something new, that would be awesome. thanks
Try listening to something that has little or no guitar parts in it such as a keyboard or piano player is playing all of the lead stuff, same applies with brass instruments etc.

Try and take ideas from these instruments as they generally don't phrase like a guitar player does
Listen to more music.

Head over to Bands & Artists for some recommendations, and really sit down and listen to some good music. Find songs and albums that you like and learn how to play them. Then, when you're noodling on your guitar one day, you might hit a couple of notes that sound like a song you know. Then you'll know what someone before you has done with those two notes and will be able to come up with your own slant on it.

Music these days is less about innovation than about looking at the past, taking bits of it that you like and putting them together in your own way to create a new kind of music.
Quote by blue_strat
Music these days is less about innovation than about looking at the past, taking bits of it that you like and putting them together in your own way to create a new kind of music.
What a sad, sad reality.
Quote by burndttoast
What a sad, sad reality.

not to mention totally untrue. listen to any post-genre music and youll find originality, or listen to math music for a modern 12-tone movement. It's changing constantly.
Experience the fret board!

Yeah, play the scales, practice intervals and harmony, and get to know them pretty well. Learn new riffs and get experienced!

So, when you get to compose, lets say you want to come up with a solo for a specific theme, so your experience on scales,intervals, harmony and library of already-invented-riffs will show you patterns that will suit your need. Hopefully, and most probably, it will be original if you put your own mind to the theme.
Listen to other music, make yourself use different intervals, try singing and then play that - don't worry if at first you don't feel like you're coming up with anything original though. Most artists (not just music) start off copying things, and as they get confident and a bit more experience they start to be able to put more of themselves into it, and stop relying so much on stuff they already know, until their creations really are original.