Page 1 of 2
Volume knob....I may sound like a jerk but if you can, go out and play a 100 watt amp with a Master Volume knob and you can see that you can get it down to TV volumes. It may not sound as nice as when it is cranked, but it still wont sound as horrible as some people make it out to be.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
with a lot of complaints from the neighbours and an amp that is clearly making up for lack of something else.
Last edited by Airline-Olie at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
how the hell do you play without knocking down your walls?

loads of UGers have 100w amps - even 1x12", dosen't that blast your roof off?

May shock some people, but 100w amps also work with the master on 1 *gasp*

Who knew that knob actually had a purpose right?
WTLTL 2011
soundproof foam and middle of nowhere
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Well im not liked very much where i live the cops have been to the door a few times
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Everything past 50 watts is more about headroom anyway. 100w is not twice as loud as 50w. We've covered this so many times it really gets boring

+1
WTLTL 2011
a solid state 100w amp isnt that loud but as far as 100w tube amps go you need to have neighbors with a tolerance for shaking walls.
my 100watts in on our rehearshal room, like all 100w are supposed to be, in a place were you can crank it
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Plus you already made a post about this.......
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Airline-Olie
with a lot of complaints from the neighbours and an amp that is clearly making up for lack of something else.

Quite obviously this.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Everything past 50 watts is more about headroom anyway. 100w is not twice as loud as 50w. We've covered this so many times it really gets boring

Seriously. Someone should add something about the purpose of 100+ watters to the stickies or something.
Quote by Flying Couch
Seriously. Someone should add something about the purpose of 100+ watters to the stickies or something.

It would do about as much good as a sticky on common sense and personal hygiene.
WTLTL 2011
I have a very quiet 100 watt tube head... I dunno why but it is.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by LaidBack
Volume knob....I may sound like a jerk but if you can, go out and play a 100 watt amp with a Master Volume knob and you can see that you can get it down to TV volumes. It may not sound as nice as when it is cranked, but it still wont sound as horrible as some people make it out to be.

+1, a good master volume. of course, depends on the style of music you play, too.

EDIT: also it's a complete fallacy that those lower wattage amps are quiet, too. Even a valve junior through a 1x12 is too loud in a home environment.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 12, 2009,
And to add.... Anything can be to loud for a hand full of environments. Perfect example I got told by the Bus Driver that my ear buds where to loud. So over the loud coach bus in downtown traffic my earbuds were to loud..

So in that case what the hell isnt to loud ya know. Different strokes for different folks..
Any tube amp is gonna be loud as crap. That's what the volume knob is for. My amp is 60/100 watt switchable and theres hardly any noticable differance in volume. It's all about headroom
I hate my sig
I actually knock down my walls by hand before I start playing, makes things much easier to clean up.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
how the hell do you play without knocking down your walls?

loads of UGers have 100w amps - even 1x12", dosen't that blast your roof off?

My 180W (loaded with 6xKT88...so probably pushing 200W) Herbert sounds ****ing retardedly awesome at whisper volumes?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I use my 100 watter in my dorm room...its AWESOME
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
some of us like forcing people 5 town's over to hear our playing...in all seriousness. that's why there volume knob

if i put it on 60 watt mode i can get the volume up pretty well without it effecting anyone else...and it doesn't even sound bad when i have to keep it at say one
Last edited by camaross427 at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
get a hotplate or similar powerbrake

Due to the headroom of these amps and the genre in which most of these amps are made for in the first place a Hotplate wont do much at all to cure someones volume needs. Just and FYI.
yeah powerbreaks are pointless. metal is not about power tube saturation anyways. if yoou had heard of the searchbar you would know that
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Airline-Olie
U gots the smallest weiner!

Some people simply need 100 watts, **** I have 140 of them (solig state though). Even 50 watts, when cranked at concert level, may cream up a bit (power amp tubes working harder), therefor making it unsuitable for some of the more 'edgy' musical styles (I.E. death metal, hard rock). And with solid state amps, they get a really square clipping when the power amp distorts (versus a rounded tube signal), it does not sound good, so they automatically need tons of headroom for any serious playing,

Really, 100 watts isnt even that much louder than 30. Its all about headroom, volume is rarely an issue; especially with the invention of the PA.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
120 w + 2x12 + Bedroom = Good Times

Channel at 3 O Clock and the Master at 9, sounds good and is not an absolutely ridiculous volume.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Oct 12, 2009,
100 watts... twice as loud as a 10 watt. hmmm.

alright that is quite a bit louder, but if i play my 100 watt it's not cuz i wanna blow up my house, it's because i want a tighter sound that is less effected by power tube saturation.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by dfinch10
a solid state 100w amp isnt that loud but as far as 100w tube amps go you need to have neighbors with a tolerance for shaking walls.

Not really, maybe its just my house, but I play my XXX 5 or 6 hours a day (sometimes even at 10 or 11 at night) and I don't think anyone hears. I was talking with my neighbors the other day and they didn't even know I played guitar

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Some people simply need 100 watts, **** I have 140 of them (solig state though).

Your opinion is invalid because of this.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I run a 100watt and a 120watt in STEREO...both sound fine at bedroom volumes. Anything above 5 on both amps is just unnecessary at the house....unless I'm just trying to piss my asshole neighbors off...which I occasionally try to do
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by xwearesinking
I actually knock down my walls by hand before I start playing, makes things much easier to clean up.

Any amp with 100+ watts can just be turned down for bedroom playing. I've got an old Randall 300 watt 2x12 combo in my room and I can play it at practice levels without knocking down walls or causing my eardrums to explode.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
**** that, my Vetta is 300w

But really... volume knobs are there for a reason.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a 6505+ and my friend has a Tiny Terror

His amp is better suited for bedroom playing if you want saturation by being able to crank it more. If you're like me and play modern metal and alternative stuff you want the headroom. It's not always stupid to get a 100W amp. At bedroom volumes my 6505+ gets tones FAR greater than the Tiny Terror can get at any volume for what I play.

Nuff said.
My Mesa Mk V (90 watts) doesn't go above 3, where as my Krank Rev Jr Pro (20 watts) doesn't go above 4.

None of my neighbours make noise about my amp volume, altho that could also be because they're drowned out by my playing
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by LaidBack

This. You can't expect to play in your bedroom with volume knobs dimed.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Page 1 of 2