Hi. I'm a beginner for guitar, and im hoping to get to an intermediate level within the next 1-2 years. All i want to know really is if im going with a good method to getting to this step,and if there's anything else i can do:

This is what i do:
    Play my guitar (obviously)
    Listen to the Rock/Metal Genre (MY musical influence)
    Go to Guitar lessons once a week for about 30-60 minutes
    Play different tabs on here
    Play the tabs i get given at practice

K, my teacher is a classical guitarist. Ive already been told that Metal/Rock music benefits from knowing classical style, so im not bothered about that.

Anything else people can help me with wud be appreciated
    Led Zeppelin
    Bands I've Seen

Robert Randolph and The Family Band
    Eric Clapton
    Letz Zep
    Arc Angels
    Eric Clapton (At the Royal Albert Hall ;D)
    Joe Bonamassa
    Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck (at the O2 arena ;D)
    The Bootleg Beatles
    Learning classical guitar is really good for building up fretting hand technique, that's why people like John Petrucci and Chris Broderick are as good as they are.
    get out to see some local talent, whatever genre (well, I'd forgive you for skipping out on the hip-hop/rappers, but even then, if they're popular locally, you can learn a thing or two.)
    performing in person isn't for every musician, but it still pays to get a feel for a live show as you become a better, and hopefully well-rounded, musician.
    I'd also recommend joining the choir at school. Yeah, it might sound lame, and you might not even aspire to vocals, but the voice is one of the simplest instruments to learn, and it'll help round out your musical knowledge. the more exposure to music in general, the more you'll benefit as a musician. and since you're just a beginner on guitar, I wouldn't imagine you'd want to try playing with others immediately, but collaboration will always be helpful.
    !. Practice until your fingers fall off
    2. Sew fingers back on.
    3. Practice more.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 until your reach Guitar God status.
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
    Line 6 Pod XT Live
    Randall G3 Series 75w Amplifier
    and Myself
    Quote by Jimmy Wade
    Led Zeppelin

How about contributing to the thread?

I think you're doing the right thing. Having a teacher is nice whenever you're in doubt. I suggest learning to read standard notation early on, as most guitarists never bother learning it. I think there's a lot of benefits from being able to read standard notation.
    Quote by thsrayas
    Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
    - John Coltrane
    All I wanna say to a beginner is "Learn with theory."

I hope your teacher is doing that. Looking at tabs and playing them note-to-note even with so much impression still, won't make you a decent guitarist. Even a performer needs to understand what he's playing. You know, it would be dull if someone's reading a story without understanding what he's reading.

Apart from that, do warm up exercises such as speed drills and stretches to improve your technical skills.
    A basic rond-off of my lessons are finger warm-ups, then just play songs through the whole lesson, but each of these songs has taught me a new technique, so its all good
    Quote by NearlyPrescient
    get out to see some local talent, whatever genre (well, I'd forgive you for skipping out on the hip-hop/rappers, but even then, if they're popular locally, you can learn a thing or two.)
    performing in person isn't for every musician, but it still pays to get a feel for a live show as you become a better, and hopefully well-rounded, musician.
    I'd also recommend joining the choir at school. Yeah, it might sound lame, and you might not even aspire to vocals, but the voice is one of the simplest instruments to learn, and it'll help round out your musical knowledge. the more exposure to music in general, the more you'll benefit as a musician. and since you're just a beginner on guitar, I wouldn't imagine you'd want to try playing with others immediately, but collaboration will always be helpful.

Also helps with being more comfortable on stage.
    learn classical pieces on the guitar. also i suggest you play with a classical guitar,
    the fretboard is thicker than in electric,it will make your left hand stronger.
    a great piece you can start with is "bach bouree". it involves counterpoint,
    meaning you play both low and high strings at the same time,it sounds very musical.
    I'd highly encourage you to work on your ear through transcribing or some other method (singing, trainers, etc).

You should also learn theory.

Is your teacher teaching you to sight-read music, or are you only using tab?
    Quote by o0oLiVEWiREo0o
    !. Practice until your fingers fall off
    2. Sew fingers back on.
    3. Practice more.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 until your reach Guitar God status.

yup, that's easily the best advice you'll ever be given
    Listen to many different genres of music.
    Analyze songs you find interesting or just anything.
    learn theory and how to apply it
    learn your scales
    improvise.
    I second the idea to join the school choir. It helps with all around musician ship.

Also, learn music through other ways than tabs. Get comfortable reading off chord charts (and playing different voicings of chords each time to make an interesting part, rather than just using the basic open chords beginners learn). Get comfortable sight reading. Learn songs by ear. Learn to improvise over a given chord progression. Analyze other people's music too see what makes it sound how it sounds. There's alot more than just tabs.