I dont know if im in the right forum but it seems the most appropriate to me.

I want to be able to practice with my bandmates and I'm going to be the one taking the most initiative (we're all teenagers ). In a month I'm going to move to a new place and I'm going to hold it off until then. The idea is that I want to soundproof a garage in an apartment complex. I am willing to spend money, but I don't know how much. We are pretty loud, we have a drummer, 2 guitars, bass, 2 or 3 vocals, and keys. I run my 50 watt mesa, the other amps are of comparable volume, and we have a small PA (actually a monitor system), with 2 12's.

I may have to move again after, so I would like a solution that I can at one point tear it down and install it elsewhere. I was thinking of putting alot of insulation on the ceiling, don't know what though. Maybe I can find a way to stuff it with newspapers (lots and lots, then put something underneath so it wont be as much of a fire hazard. After that, put thick rugs all over the floor, and put acoustical foam all over the walls. But then again I don't know much on this subject.

So, some helpful advice on this matter would be appreciated, I would like to keep spending to a minimal, but I will spend if it's necessary to tame the volume.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

egg boxes are meant to work but ive never tried it so im not sure and youl need alot of them haha, or foam insulation board might work
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
cardboard egg crates on the windows are an easy cheap solution.^Like that guy said
Woot! New Zealand...
How effective are they? Those are totally doable. But they need to work, of course. and it's gonna be a garage, so no windows.. I would have to cover everything in this place, walls ceilings etc
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

The step up from eggboxes and curtains is probably foam panels. Those -can- get expensive depending on what you're looking at.
Soundproofing is much harder than making it sound good.

See the egg carton thing... that doesnt help a lot with soundproofing. It helps make the room sound nice and gets rid of annoying echoes and reverbs, like you would find in a concrete room.

Soundproofing requires special materials like Mass Loaded Vinyl barriers

Then on top of that stuff you would want corrugated foam or egg cartons and foam bass traps to help get rid of annoying frequencies trapped in the room.

Egg cartons alone probably wont be to succesfull at limiting the volume, and stopping sound from escaping the room.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
Soundproofing is much harder than making it sound good.

See the egg carton thing... that doesnt help a lot with soundproofing. It helps make the room sound nice and gets rid of annoying echoes and reverbs, like you would find in a concrete room.

Soundproofing requires special materials like Mass Loaded Vinyl barriers

Then on top of that stuff you would want corrugated foam or egg cartons and foam bass traps to help get rid of annoying frequencies trapped in the room.

Egg cartons alone probably wont be to succesfull at limiting the volume, and stopping sound from escaping the room.

That material seems like a good candidate for my soundproof solution, then id lay egg cartons on top of it. How much would it cost to cover a small-medium garage? Do I have to line the ceiling too?

Quote by Cullie
The step up from eggboxes and curtains is probably foam panels. Those -can- get expensive depending on what you're looking at.

Yes. I looked up Auralex foam pads on MF, very very expensive, nice color choice and im sure they work good, but a little too much, theres like a $700 foam pack for a room but its alot of money. Is there a cheaper foam i can use thats not necessarily made for music? maybe one with no jagged edges like the auralex ones have, but i can compensate for that with egg cartons..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Last edited by injected at Oct 12, 2009,
Bass and drums tends to go thru most materials. You feel it more than hear it. You might be able to reduce the volume some but sound "proof" is not easy or cheap.
Well I know i cant eliminate it all, but i'd like to get it as minimal as possible..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

The ultimate way is to effectively build a room inside a room. It's a lot of work but what you end up with is basically the same thing as double glazing. Build some fake walls that place against the existing ones, if you are clever you can do it in a way that makes it easy to remove them afterwards. You can put some sort of insulation behind them like fibreglass batts but even then you will still want a bit of an air gap between them and the real wall - a simple air gap does the trick quite well with no extra insulation.
You can get away with a lot of things for the cladding but I've found canite (I don't know if it's called the same thing overseas, it's that soft board you see used on pinboards) works extremely well but that can get quite expensive. It doesn't really matter a lot because it's the air gap that's doing the real work.
For the sound deadening you can go a few ways. Heavy drapes work really well as said earlier and I've seen them used to great effect. Shag pile carpet works well too but can tend to introduce dust into the room and vacuuming it can be pretty hard once you've got all your gear in the room. The cheapest and easiest thing I've come across are the cardboard trays they use for packing apples. Egg trays are arguably better because they have deeper depressions/ridges but the apple trays are bigger and easier to work with.
I've actually seen quite small (approx 3'x3') squares of soft material stretched gently over a picture frame sort of arrangement placed in strategic places around the room instead of trying to cover the entire wall. This has the added advantage of being able to tune the room for different levels of ambience. Sometimes you don't want a completely dead room. This is a technique I saw at the prestigious Victorian School of Arts.
It all depends on how much effort you want to expend and how much money you want to spend.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry i havn't sound proofed anything before in my life, but i did some research for the future incase i do start soundproofing somthing. But on that webpage i linked or in Google shopping type Mass Loaded Vinyl barriers and you should come up with some prices. They come in 4 feet by however long 30 feet sometimes and they are about $200 for that roll. Make sure the material isnt just layed on the wall though. I think it needs to be not touching the wall to be fully effective. So like a little block every little while to keep it an inch off. Also all those things on MF, the foam things, they are mainly to make the inside of the room sound good. Like bass traps, they are supposed to help weaken ongoing bass waves in the room, but not completely destroy them, just tone them down a bit. and corrigated foam or egg cartons knock out reverbs and stuff as i think i already stated.

But yah so about $200 for 4'x30' rolls, then measure your garage and see how much of it you would need. For best effect yes you would probably have to do the ceiling and the floor. The floor is important but also difficult because chances are everything in that room that makes noice is gonna be on the floor... thus causing vibrations.

Good luck.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Sound escapes from a room in two ways, through air gaps and through the fabric of the walls. Youll need to address both if you are to be effective.

You'll be amazed at how effective sealing air leaks is just tape up any gaps with gaffer tape (duck tape) and place rolled up carpet at the base of doors.Remember your making the space airtight though and open the doors to let air in from time to time.

Stopping transmitted sound is mainly about adding mass. Brick and concrete walls don't transmit much sound and adding mass has to be substantial, doubling it for example. Look to reinforcing the insulation on the weak points; is the garage door just a metal up-and -over for example. Look for any cheap heavy material to hang here, old carpet or rubber underlay is good and cheap even heavy curtains help but remember to avoid air gaps. An air space is actually helpful too as it works like double glazing.

Good luck
I hate to be "that guy" but knowing how loud my band was with similar band and amp arrangements I doubt you'd be able to sufficiently deaden the sound in an apartment complex situation, but I suppose it depends on how far away the garages are. Regardless, you know there is going to be some whiny old lady that's going to complain. I think someone already said this, but egg crates will take away reverb and noise but they wont do squat to keep noise from pissing people off.

If it were me, I'd just look into getting a practice space. Here in Minneapolis I want to say they can be had as cheap as like $100 a month, split 5 ways isn't too bad.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
im actually in a weird situation right now, im on house arrest for another month and after that probation for a year. i wouldnt be allowed out of my house after 4pm i think. So im gonna have to make it at my place.

Im going to push for getting detached garages. Like, theres a complex for houses and a garage on the other side of the place. I think it would work good, I'd just have to glue tons of insulation onto the garage door stick a carpet underneath and put it on everytime i go in.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Another option could be to get the drummer some electronic drums and run everything into the mixer and rather than out through speakers you could run the sound out headphones. It might not be the same as a normal practice, plus you'd still hear the vocals and most electronic drums sets aren't the quietest things in the world, but I think it'll be your best bet for being quiet and playing over a drummer.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+