Hey guys

Im about ready to shoot someone.

So my current setup is an Aerodyne J Bass>SansampBDDI>Markbass Little Mark III>Ampeg 410HLF

Now everything is new EXCEPT for the ampeg cab whch is used. It seems to crackle and sound farty when i play sometimes.

So the possibilities SEEM to be

-Tweeter is blown (crackles more when more power is sent to tweeter)?
-Speakers are broken?
-1/4 input isn't solid = crackle?
-Lack of rubber feet on cab = rattle?

Do any of you guys know what may be the problem?
Thanks
You could be pushing it to hard which generally leads to farting. The crackle could be coming before the cab maybe? your lead, a pot in the MB, or in your bass, a bad speaker cable. I double your speakers are blown though, not sure how to test the tweeter though. Try suggestions above, before doing anything radical.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
My speaker crackles a bit on my Peavey Vypyr 75, and the speaker is always on these threads... it sucks. I plan on getting another one as one of my first new additions of the year, but it's about $200 for a V30. Idk, but I'm saying it's the speaker.
Play, and put your hand on each speaker separately to stop the vibration. Start with the tweeter (not sure if you can touch it) since there's evidence pointing towards that. If the crackling stops when you touch it, you'll know that's the problem. As to fixing it, I don't know other than replacing it.
A speaker which is rubbing will crackle and piezo horns will crackle when over driven but most crackling is electronic, it may even be your lead or your guitar which just went wrong the same time as your new purchase out of sheer spite.

I would suspect your amp though, probably dirty or worn pots (the bits the knobs turn). Does the amp make a noise when you twiddle the knobs? Possibly it could be the capacitors or just a poor connection inside the amp (a dry joint)

Read the guide to intermittent faults in the columns
This happened to me yesterday. If your speaker cable has uncovered ends on it like this, it's possible for the cover to unscrew enough to rattle around and make noise. It can be tough to spot if you aren't looking for it.
Nope, no sig here.
I have a similar problem and don't feel like making a new thread.

I just bought an Eden 4x10 cabinet last night and it sounded great in the apartment where I bought it. This morning I plug all my gear in and one of the speakers has a rattle to it - I'm fairly certain it didn't rattle when I tested it before purchasing. I'm going to try swapping cables, then pull the grill off and see of the speaker is a little loose. Other than that, any ideas of what to check or how to remedy it?
Cables first. Could be dirty pots too. The HLF should have a knob on the back to control your tweeter. Turn it all the way clockwise to turn it off.
Changed cables and instruments, all with the tweeter off, and still getting a crackle in the lower right 10''. Searched through talkbass a bit and found a thread about long leads rubbing against the speaker cone... not sure if that's what I have going on, but as soon as I can find a screwdriver I'll pull the speaker out and hopefully see what's going on.
Took the speaker out, and applying even just a tiny bit of pressure to the spider makes the rattle stop. Not sure if I should just try putting a piece of tape on it and trying to gig tomorrow afternoon...

EDIT - My internet sleuthing shows that it suffers from voice coil rub - when I push gently on the cone I hear/feel a soft scrape. Now, heres my question - this needs to be fixed by either a recone or new speaker, yes? But, like i said earlier, I have a gig tomorrow that I really want to use it for and it seems like pressure on the spider removes the rattle. If the speaker is ****ed, and the spider solution works, should I just go ahead and see what happens?
Last edited by aguacateojos at Aug 13, 2010,
I just found this thread. I am experiencing the same problems only mine is in my ampeg 810. I have some more tinkering to do before I decide on anything.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
Quote by aguacateojos
Took the speaker out, and applying even just a tiny bit of pressure to the spider makes the rattle stop. Not sure if I should just try putting a piece of tape on it and trying to gig tomorrow afternoon...

EDIT - My internet sleuthing shows that it suffers from voice coil rub - when I push gently on the cone I hear/feel a soft scrape. Now, heres my question - this needs to be fixed by either a recone or new speaker, yes? But, like i said earlier, I have a gig tomorrow that I really want to use it for and it seems like pressure on the spider removes the rattle. If the speaker is ****ed, and the spider solution works, should I just go ahead and see what happens?

That's what I figured, something with the cone, if your in a large city you prolly can find a speaker shop who will recone it for you, much cheaper than buying a new speaker.

My dad had some old(by old I mean 1970's old) 2 4in high range and 2 8 inch mid range speakers re-foamed by a local shop for $40, then the foam on the 12 inch low range speaker disengerated, so it's rendered the towers useless for now.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Sep 28, 2010,
Don't live in a big city - my temporary fix for this is kind of odd. I noticed that if the cabinet was placed upside down or on it's side the speaker would stop rattling. So I took it out, flipped it upside down, and viola. Played about ten shows since then, probably going to have to buy a replacement speaker some time soon.