there are soo many options, but what would you buy for $300? my rig consists of two ODs (TS9 and BD2), a Phaser (vintage Maestro mini phase) and a wah going into my Rebal 20 head.

i'e been looking at the DD7 and/or the EHX frequency analyzer. the reason i say and/or is because i want to fix up an old tube amp i have, and it'll cost me at least $100 for the PTs and OTs and various other parts. but if i find something that's really cool, i could put off fixing it for a while.

i play lots of old stuff, mostly blues and classic rock (Cream, Free, the Band, the Allman Brothers Band, the Grateful Dead).

i am an avid CL lurker, so don't suggest CL, because there's never anything good where i live (and i don't feel like driving 3 hrs to get to stuff in toronto).

TL;DR: what should i get for $300?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Oct 12, 2009,
There's prolly a Fender amp out there that you can get for $300....and the Line 6 Spider IV has excellent settings for....whatever you want to play metal, blues, classic, anything.
Zoom g9.2tt. Period. And sell all the rest and get an awesome guitar.

tube effects. end of story.
Quote by EvilAngel93
There's prolly a Fender amp out there that you can get for $300....and the Line 6 Spider IV has excellent settings for....whatever you want to play metal, blues, classic, anything.

i really hope you're trying to be funny.
Quote by ASJerrell
Zoom g9.2tt. Period. And sell all the rest and get an awesome guitar.

tube effects. end of story.

you too.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
You've got a nice little amp, a decent spread of ODs, a cool phaser, and a wah.

The only part of the equation you're missing is a delay.

Get a DD7, you'll have a ton of fun.

I suppose it's not all that applicable to the style/artists you mention, but unless you've played with a good one extensively and didn't like it, a delay will give you a boatload of new sounds.
2 OD's! that's hardcore
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Rutch
You've got a nice little amp, a decent spread of ODs, a cool phaser, and a wah.

The only part of the equation you're missing is a delay.

Get a DD7, you'll have a ton of fun.

I suppose it's not all that applicable to the style/artists you mention, but unless you've played with a good one extensively and didn't like it, a delay will give you a boatload of new sounds.

Does the Egnator have reverb?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Does the Egnator have reverb?

no, but i'm in the porcesss of building an outboard spring reverb unit
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
If I had $300 I'd buy a Small Clone, Phase 90 and perhaps a Super Comp.

For you... I'd suggest a delay and a chorus. Carbon Copy, DD7, etc for delay, and the Small Clone is an amazing Chorus pedal, as is the Clone Theory which is in stereo.
Quote by Dellinger1988
2 OD's! that's hardcore

3, bitch
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Well, what's this old tube amp you're thinking of fixing up?

That well may trump all else...
Quote by Rutch
Well, what's this old tube amp you're thinking of fixing up?

That well may trump all else...

it's nothing special. it's an old Gibson Thor bass amp. i'm guessing it could shell out some wild tones.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by stratman_13
3, bitch

I got 3 too.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I like buying cheap guitars for 300ish, then modding them. Something usually has decent wood, not dots inlays.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
I got 3 too.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I like buying cheap guitars for 300ish, then modding them. Something usually has decent wood, not dots inlays.

Same. It's always fun. I always mod up my friend's guitars...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Hey TS, I'll tell you what I'd get. Lovepedal Pickle Vibe for its awesome Univibe-esque sounds (a la Hendrix, Trower et al.), MXR Carbon Copy Delay (for your David Gilmour-esque tape delay sounds), and I'd be good to go with your current setup. All for the low price of about $240
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Quote by Roxor_Mc0wnage
Hey TS, I'll tell you what I'd get. Lovepedal Pickle Vibe for its awesome Univibe-esque sounds (a la Hendrix, Trower et al.), MXR Carbon Copy Delay (for your David Gilmour-esque tape delay sounds), and I'd be good to go with your current setup. All for the low price of about $240

the Maestro does a spot on Univibe sound, so the lovepedal is out.

i've never been a fan of analogue delays. i prefer to hear the repeats
i guess i never jumped onto the whole CC wagon
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
and its going to be the ekko 616 wagon now

addendum: i defined bandwagon/trend in another thread. yeah, not going there again.

but my recommendation of an envelope filter still holds. you can go pricey with a discumBOBulator from Emma or even the maxon unit, or go with a bare-bones pedal from EHX. hell, i want to build a DOD440 clone one of these days for $60 from GGG.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Oct 13, 2009,
If I had 300 bucks I would get a Looper, like an RC-20 or a Jamman.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
^Had a Jamman. Great pedal but sold it because it dosnt have the ability to dial in tempo, you have to do tap tempo, which makes it difficult to line up when you have a whole band going. For solo performance, its awesome, but I mainly play with a group so it was out.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Quote by Skierinanutshel
and its going to be the ekko 616 wagon now

addendum: i defined bandwagon/trend in another thread. yeah, not going there again.

but my recommendation of an envelope filter still holds. you can go pricey with a discumBOBulator from Emma or even the maxon unit, or go with a bare-bones pedal from EHX. hell, i want to build a DOD440 clone one of these days for $60 from GGG.

what's the best Enveloppe you can get today that sounds like a Mutron III? i got to try this old unit at my uncle's buddy's house, and it was awesome. i've heard the Q-tron sound like it, but are there better one's out there?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
what's the best Enveloppe you can get today that sounds like a Mutron III? i got to try this old unit at my uncle's buddy's house, and it was awesome. i've heard the Q-tron sound like it, but are there better one's out there?

the emma electronics discumBOBulator is pretty darn good.
Quote by nightraven
the q-tron is more mu-tron III-y than the discombobulator. tron was designed by mr mu-tron together with EHX. it's a really great filter. the pre-amp in the real q-tron is key to getting the mu-tron sound
personally i'd add $300 to my lovetone meatball fund

i prefer pedals i don't have to spend the weekend tweaking to get a decent sound out of
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
how about a decent fuzz and a delay? Big Muff w/ tone wicker and MXR Carbon Copy maybe
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The Dr. Quack schematic by Jack Orman looks interesting if you want a Mutron/Q-Tron type thing, although you'd have to build it. I figure that shouldn't be too hard if you're fixing up an amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Chorus+delay+straplocks or a nice strap or something like that.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.