So my son was sick yesterday and when i was having him play on my guitar he threw-up in side the sound-hole!!!!

I cleaned out the vomit as best i possible could. I trying drying it out by a fan. Well today the smell coming out of the hole is horrid!!!

First what can i do to prevent mold. Combined with the dust already in the body and now the food source(vomit) and moisture. I have the perfect incubator for mold.

Second, what can i do about the horrible smell. I'm pretty sure the vomit soaked into the wood.

was the guitar nice enough that buying a new one is out of the question?
i can't think of a good way to clean it.
I think you may have to face facts, and buy yourself a new guitar. Like you said, you pretty much have the perfect incubator for mold, and I don't really think you will ever get the smell of puke out of the wood once it has soaked in. If your stuck for cash, then you may just have to carry on, and put up with the smell.
Quote by sashki
judging by these 'ranks', I guess you were looking at Gibson guitars.

In that case, it goes (worst --> best)
special --> studio --> standard --> custom

When Gibson calls something "special", it's special in the way a retarded kid is.
get something like a humidifier for accoustics, which should help bring the moisture level down, and for the smell you could put one of those airfreshner blocks that are in cages and have the back sealed for a few days
EEEwwwww! That's nasty. Pour a cup of dry plian uncooked white rice into the soundhole then add a couple tablespoons of baking soda. Tape the soundhole off and start shaking the guitar. Shake it until your arms are about to fall off. It might require a couple of these treatments to get rid of the smell. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the rice and powder.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Oct 12, 2009,
I guess there is pretty much nothing you can do about this.

You could try flushing the inside of the guitar with water and something, but this would seriously damage the the guitar's wood. So don't.

Hope the guitar wasn't expensive.
Quote by LeftyDave
EEEwwwww! That's nasty. Pour a cup of dry plian uncooked white rice into the soundhole then add a couple tablespoons of baking soda. Tape the soundhole off and start shaking the guitar. Shake it until your arms are about to fall off. It might require a couple of these treatments to get rid of the smell. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the rice and powder.

This and the air freshener suggestion. However, when using the air freshener, don't spray a whole lot. You could cause more water damage.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Baking soda gets puke smell out of pretty much anything.

Don't use Febreze or anything like that, it doesn't get rid of a smell, only masks it.

Then you get flowery-puke mixture. Yuck.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
I really appreciate all the replies. I'm going try the rice and baking soda solution. If after doing that a few time doesn't work i guess i know what i'm going to ask for for Christmas.

Its not going to kill me to have an excuse to get a new guitar.
Holy crap man, my condolences.

I'll agree with what LeftyDave said. Best solution I can think of.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The rice & BS combo might only work if the vomit isn't already dried. If it has, you may need to remoisturize it a bit. Consider a trace of water.

Also consider vinegar. The vinegar/BS combo is used to make erupting volcano models, so that may actually help foam the stuff out.

Look at it this way...

Try whatever you want to clean it out, its not like it can get any worse.

By that I mean that the axe already reeks and you're not going to play it until you can rid it of the stench, right? Essentially, its unplayable to you.

So it makes sense to try out a few inexpensive remedies- baking soda, lysol, bleach, what have you- before going to your favorite local music store and dropping $$$ on a new git.

And give it some time- sometimes (not always) bad smells on harder semi-permeable surfaces will fade over time.

If it doesn't work, get yourself a new guitar and donate the "Barflove" to a charity. Somebody out there may be able to use it...if not as a guitar, then firewood.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 12, 2009,
honestly, youre screwed. not just because of the smell, but because the sound of your guitar is going to be ruined.

If even a drop of water gets into the soundhole, the wood raises up where the drop landed and changes the sound drastically. So I cant even imagine the effects of someone throwing up into the guitar.
When I mentioned air fresheners I was thinking more of the ones you hang in your car
wood is very absorbent. there's no way you can get all the vomit out - and while perhaps you could cover the smell with air fresheners, that's a pretty gross situation AND not at all good for the guitar.
Quote by whocares09
honestly, youre screwed. not just because of the smell, but because the sound of your guitar is going to be ruined.

If even a drop of water gets into the soundhole, the wood raises up where the drop landed and changes the sound drastically. So I cant even imagine the effects of someone throwing up into the guitar.

?What? I dont thinks thats true at all, one drop of water affecting the sound of your guitar. I dont think so. Now, a bunch of barf, I can see how that might affect it.
I had to share this for it's sort of related to the topic. When my little girl was just a baby, I made the mistake of bouncing her over my head after just feeding her formula and she puked RIGHT IN MY MOUTH!!! You think a guitar is gross, try that.

I guess that was my daughter's way of welcoming me to fatherhood.
^ Good story, hahaha.
Equipment:

Quote by Sokar1723
So my son was sick yesterday and when i was having him play on my guitar he threw-up in side the sound-hole!!!!

I cleaned out the vomit as best i possible could. I trying drying it out by a fan. Well today the smell coming out of the hole is horrid!!!

First what can i do to prevent mold. Combined with the dust already in the body and now the food source(vomit) and moisture. I have the perfect incubator for mold.

Second, what can i do about the horrible smell. I'm pretty sure the vomit soaked into the wood.

just wondering, how old is your son?
I think the only real solution is to wait until he grows up, buy him a guitar, and then throw up in it to get back at him.

I can't come up with any other productive advice...
This can't be the first guitar in history that ever got puked into...think of all the drunken rockers out there.

Somewhere, somebody has cleaned puke out of a guitar- probably on tour- and a lot more than a kid could produce.

The questions are obvious- who did it? Were the results positive? Is the guitar in question valuable enough to try cleaning?

Beyond this forum, you could try emailing various repair shops and guitar mags.

Someone knows how to do this.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by ethan_hanus
?What? I dont thinks thats true at all, one drop of water affecting the sound of your guitar. I dont think so. Now, a bunch of barf, I can see how that might affect it.

When water gets into the guitar, the wood where the water lands raises up, which changes the inside of the guitar. This happens when even a drop of water falls into the guitar. So the sound is ultimately changed.
****. I sweat on my guitar all the time. Those stage lights are so freaking hot. Does this mean I need to get a new one?

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
****. I sweat on my guitar all the time. Those stage lights are so freaking hot. Does this mean I need to get a new one?

Yep. It's ruined.
Just scrub it. If its a laminate it probably won't even warp. If its an all-solid wood guitar, make sure you rub a dry cloth in it several times to mop up as much water as possible. Let it dry in some warm sunshine. Properly store it after.

That's advice coming from someone who is completely unqualified....so here's more

Do we get a bit carried away with worrying about the humidity? Sure, wood warps and flexes, but high-end instruments that weren't exactly pampered have survived for decades. I pretty much spend all my free time in music shops at whatever city I happen to be in that day, yet I don't recall ever seeing an instrument damaged by minor and temporary moisture.

My house is filled with all-solid wood products (brother is a woodworker), some as thin as a guitar. I have yet to have any of my furniture explode. My picture frames are all square. My daughter's dollhouse is still in better shape than the rest of our house. I'm not saying guitars are bulletproof; it justs seems like we get carried away with labeling them precision instruments. It's still just a wood box.

Btw, following my advice has the potential to lead to severe heartache. Follow at your own risk
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

I don't know how much TLC it received over the years, but the oldest instrument I've ever played personally was a 400+ year old cello.

It had seen better days- you could see where it had been scratched or dinged or even attacked by wood-eating vermin.

And yet this cello with paper-thin wood had enough presence that it could vibrate objects in the room with an open C played with vigor.

So if you're careful, I'm sure you can salvage the instrument.

To answer a few of your questions.

My son is just over a year old.

My guitar is a Takamine EG341SC

I've tried the rice and baking soda trick and it has helped. There is still a smell, but it is fainter. The sound the guitar had improved also. I'm going to do more rice and baking soda baths and give it some time.

Thanks for all the help.
Quote by Sokar1723
I've tried the rice and baking soda trick and it has helped. There is still a smell, but it is fainter. The sound the guitar had improved also. I'm going to do more rice and baking soda baths and give it some time.

Its better than it was post-puke or better than it was pre-puke?

If its the latter, your son may have just invented a new way of seasoning guitars!

this scares me, I have a kid on the way 0_0

thank goodness I do not use acoustics.

may I suggest removing the strings first, you don't want vomit on the outside either.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Sokar1723
To answer a few of your questions.

My son is just over a year old.

My guitar is a Takamine EG341SC

Thanks for all the help.

Wow seriously?
^^^ I know what you're thinking. Go ahead, puke into your acoustic and see if the sound improves. I'll wait right here.....lol

But I have to wonder if he meant that it sounds better now that all the sloshing, wet sounds are gone?
I think he means puke compared to post-puke.
Equipment:

All this talk of sons and daughters is very strange to me. I thought UG is full of sexually frustrated teenagers (I hang out mostly in the pit BTW :P).

TS I really don't have any advice and I think the best advice has already been given so all I can say is all the best with your guitar
Quote by GC Shred Off
You just WAIT...

Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by innertom
sucks to be you

Don't you mean...it blows?