Can they greatly alter your sound?
Just wanna know exactly what they can do to your sound before i consider buying one, thanks!
They can change your tone. You can put them in the fx loop or in front of your amp. Its just a matter of taste. I like having an EQ in my recto all the time just in case i need it. Its very usefull, you should buy one. I don't like boss but i have the GE-7 and thats a damn good one.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
How do you want to alter your sound? They can make a big difference but they won't turn your amp into a Soldano.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I use my EQ pedal to help shape my soloing sound, and honestly with a lower end amp, its a lifesaver in that instance.

MetalGuitarest, your sig about killed me, btw.
If you have specific aims in sculpting your sound beyond the bass/mids/treble layout then yes go for one
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by Hobo69
I use my EQ pedal to help shape my soloing sound, and honestly with a lower end amp, its a lifesaver in that instance.

MetalGuitarest, your sig about killed me, btw.

+1
i love eq pedals, they can make a mediocre rig sound pretty decent and a good rig sound great
I put my eq in front of my distortion with a mid hump and cut bass and treble to get a nice tight tone
it all depends on how and where you use it on what you can achieve
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Wait so if you use an eq pedal you dont have to go all out and getta high end amp so u can getta good tone?
Quote by GuitarLGND
Wait so if you use an eq pedal you dont have to go all out and getta high end amp so u can getta good tone?

If you're inferring that the only way to get a good tone is with a high end amp, you are extremely wrong.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
good sirs, no quabbling at the table.

anywho - most of the important things are here. an EQ will, obviously, help shape your 'tone', but it wont turn poop into gold, but rather a more-visually-appealing alternative. it is great for a solo/leadwork or for helping achieve that little nuance that another boost pedal just couldnt give. however, i'm not a fan of any currently mass-produced EQ's. I'm a knob man myself, never could get into sliders. there are a couple of great 'boutique' EQ's out there, or if you are into etching your own PCB (or finding someone who is good at it and willing to etch for you..... >_> ) GGG has a good layout for a 6-band/5-band with gain knob if you want to give that a go.
Quote by GuitarLGND
l do not beleive i am trying to infer anything sir

I apologize then old chap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT