I got a bass a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to get new strings, I haven't changed them since I got it and I really want some better ones. I played on my friend's bass and he has flatwounds; I'm not sure what kind, didn't think ask him. I really like the feel and sound to it and I want to get some for myself, but I don't know what kind to get. Can anyone recommend the best set to look for? I have an Ibanez SR500 if that matters. Thanks.
D'addario, DR, and Rotosound are well regarded.

only specific name I believe is the chromes.

I believe La Bella makes Deep Talkin flatwounds, which are well regarded on TB. then again, it's TB. but Jamerson used La Bella, they look to be alright strings.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ Don't get them. The only difference between those and regular heavy gauge roto flats is the silks are a different color and that they cost a few dollars more.

I have used they heavy gauge flat before, though, and they are quite nice.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Depends what you want out of them. I use Thomastik Infeld jazz flats, and I really like them. They have a very bright sound for flatwound strings, but retain the thump and don't get to clanky.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I like the Roto 77s and 88s, but to each his own. The La Bellas sound great but are not cheap.
^ But if you only buy new ones them every 5 years like Jamerson...

Anyway, I've heard Thomastic flats are very good too. Supposed to be very growly, almost as much as rounds, but with the thump of flatwounds.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.