Well i went to guitar center today to look at amps for my birthday. After researching i was pretty set on getting the acoustic B100 100w, but when i went there the guy said that it wouldn't be able to compete with a drummer and guitar. And he recommended the Ampeg BA115 100w. I would of got that but it was alot more money so i told him i would think about it, so i cam here. Now my question is do you think that the acoustic wont be able to compete with drums and for small gigs (hopefully in the future) and that the Ampeg is a better buy even thought it is more money. Thanks.
Here is the links
Acoustic
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo-104813779-i1399998.gc
Ampeg
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Combo-100471440-i1145715.gc
well they're both the same wattage.. so i dont see how one would or wouldn't be able to compete with guitar and drums... but I have a 100W guitar amp and its more than enough,,
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
you're better off buying the Acoustic B200 it roughly the same price as the Ampeg but with twice the watts and better quality.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
The Ampeg will not be able to heard over a loud drummer and a guitar. I have an Ampeg of 150W and that barely cuts above my drummer.

And guitar amps are louder than bass amps, btw. So while a 100w guitar amp will glide above the rhythm nation, a bass amp of the same wattage will not. You are going to need at least 200W. As I have said before, get the best tone and the highest wattage your budget will withstand.

Also, the Acoustic is a transparent amp, which means the tone of your bass will come through while the Ampeg will colour the tone with that distinctive Ampeg round tone.
look used (craiglist, buy and sell), you can get great deals for powerful amps.

i got my amp for $500 from craigslist (and its 320w and ****ing powerful!!) - the regular price was $900
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by XxRustInPeacexX
well they're both the same wattage.. so i dont see how one would or wouldn't be able to compete with guitar and drums... but I have a 100W guitar amp and its more than enough,,

bass speakers vary between roughly 94 and 102dB sound output per watt of input or about 8dB. Doubling the watts gives you a 3dB increase in output. So changing the speaker could be the same in terms of sound output as more than quadrupling the size of your amp.

Bass amps need to be more powerful than guitar amps because our ears are 6-12dB less sensitive to bass depending on which frequencies you are talking about. 6dB means four times more power and 12 dB 16x more.

100W is marginal, with good speakers in folk/semi acoustic bands or with a controlled drummer (ever met one?) they'll be fine but in many situations you'll just be a little short.
Good advice from Anarkee and Phil Starr. One more thing to consider when talking about an amplifier being heard over a drummer (and guitarist) is "heard where?" You may be able to hear yourself six feet from your amplifier and ten feet from your drummer, but you may be inaudible twenty feet from the stage. Low frequencies not only require more power to amplify; they also don't travel as far from the source and they get sucked up by things (like human bodies).

Oddly, the reverse is sometimes true as well. There have been times when playing through an 8x10 cabinet, I can't hear it very well from six feet away, but people twenty feet in front of it are practically knocked over.

Welcome to the strange and terrifying world of bass amplification.
I'm in pretty much the same boat here. However, I found an Ampeg BA115 for $265 on craigslist, would that be worth it?
...I like metal.
I've heard bad things about Ampegs lower end stuff such as the BA115, hopefully you'll get some better opinions. But the acoustic 200w amp seems fine. I have an ashdown 2x10 180w and it does fine against a hard drummer, and two guitarists. Also remember that most venues will probably have a PA system so if they do you can get away with a practice amp
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I myself have the same problem, I've been leaning more towards the B200 or the Acoustic 200 watt head w/ the B115 250 watt cab as a $400 half stack, but that sounds like a lot of power pushing out of one 15 inch speaker, can anyone help?
Quote by anarkee
Also, the Acoustic is a transparent amp, which means the tone of your bass will come through while the Ampeg will colour the tone with that distinctive Ampeg round tone.
Is it that way for all of Acoustics amps? Because I've seen the B200H highly recommended, and that's what I'm thinking I would get once given the chance.
So should i just get the acoustic 200w? Because i don't know if it is just because i don't know that much about bass amps, but it seams that a 200w that is cheaper would be better than a higher priced 100w right?
Quote by Shreddinator666
I myself have the same problem, I've been leaning more towards the B200 or the Acoustic 200 watt head w/ the B115 250 watt cab as a $400 half stack, but that sounds like a lot of power pushing out of one 15 inch speaker, can anyone help?

around 200w - 300w into a 15 is pretty much the norm for any combo or halfstack bass amp (though it's not uncommon to see 400w+ rigs with a single 15).

Watts aren't the measure of volume, merely a number which represents the power used to drive the speaker, higher wattage generally means higher volumes (as Phil Starr stated before) but speaker configuration and type have an equal part to play in the overall volume. However from my understanding (someone who knows for sure can correct me on this) as a speaker receives more watts the volume increase becomes incrementally less because you can only do so much with the amount of air you are pushing.

So to answer your question, no it isn't an issue to have a 200w 1x15, it's gonna be pretty loud, which of course is a good thing.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
The cheapest best sounding amp for less then 200 i have played that gets over a drummer was the behringer bx1800. Was quite fantastic i have to say.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^please tell me you're joking
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
No im not JK, apart from reliability there isnt much wrong with their tone, its standard and easy to work with. Well the ones with 12 and 15" speakers are. The smaller ones with 8" speakers are pretty bad.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
No im not JK, apart from reliability there isnt much wrong with their tone, its standard and easy to work with. Well the ones with 12 and 15" speakers are. The smaller ones with 8" speakers are pretty bad.

yea what i have right now is a 8" behringer 13w so you can see why i need a upgrade to play with drums, so do you guys think the 200w acoustic or 100w ampeg or something different in the same price range?
Quote by fatgoogle

I find them on the muddy side (even with an aluminium cone) of average, so i guess if you worked it you could get a good tone.....

However for the sheer number of problems with reliability that I've heard (and experienced) I would not let anyone I know touch a Behringer.
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Muddy tones i have not got with the bugger speakers, theyve been deep yes, but if your half decent with an eq you can get some good tones. Gain 2 sucks though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
100w will barely work. maybe with the drummer and you alone but if you add guitar or vocals to the mix you are gone forever. i remember when i had my 120W amp and there was drummer/vocals 2x guitarists...... i could hit any combination of notes, could even be playing a compleatly different song and nobody would notice.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
You know every company rates their wattage differently right? Well, I think the Ampeg kills the Acoustic in tone (the tone from the Acoustic series, in my opinion, is really bad). You can boost your mids and highs a bit and able able to cut through with the Ampeg or whatever else you can find. It's up to you though. Try em all out before buying.
Quote by spectorlegend
You know a few companies such as behringer rates their wattage differently right? They quote peak instead of RMS which is the industry norm in live sound amplification. Well, I think the Ampeg kills the Acoustic in tone (the tone from the Acoustic series, in my opinion, is really bad). You can boost your mids and highs a bit and able able to cut through with the Ampeg or whatever else you can find. It's up to you though. Try em all out before buying.

Fixed

At the end of the day tone is a very personal thing, a lot of people like 'the ampeg' tone while others want more versatility. Personally i think this being your first decent amp you should go with the most versatile you can find with the right wattage. Why? you'll learn more about tone and bass by finding the tone that suits a song.

Which leads me to my second point.....

Quote by fatgoogle
Muddy tones i have not got with the bugger speakers, theyve been deep yes, but if your half decent with an eq you can get some good tones. Gain 2 sucks though.

EQ'ing IMHO should be easy. All amps i beleive should have a good tone when set flat, it really is the best test of an amp because you shouldn't have to compromise in your EQ for the speakers or design of the amp.
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab