My guitar has a string set that starts at .009 from the looks of it. I see more often than not that people use a set that's .010 - .046. If I ever changed strings, does anything other than re-tuning need to be done.

(I'm not planning on changing anytime soon, and I'd probably have my guitar shop change them first and show me at the same time...I was just wondering so I thought I'd ask here)
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
You will probably need to adjust your intonation, and possibly your bridge height. It doesn't take all that long and is fairly simple to do.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Thanks
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
It's also possible you'll need to adjust the truss rod. The nut should be able to accommodate 10s but if you have problems staying in tune with the heavier strings, then you may want a luthier to make the slots a little bigger.

If this is for a guitar other than your Tele, then if it has a floating bridge, you'd also need to adjust the trem springs. Obviously not an issue on 99.9999999% of all Telecasters.
If you think about it, .09 & .10 is only one 10th of a difference. Yet, the in my experience, i've found that .10s tend to be much more durable than .09s. Honestly, what it comes down to is personal preference. My favorite strings are D'addario XL .10s
you should check em out. Also, it is a VERY good idea to learn how to restring your own guitar because the shop will probably charge you for the service. If you do it yourself, its not only cheaper but you can customize the way you like your strings.

hope this helps

Ibanez Artcore -> my baby
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone SG
VOX AD100VTH
Digitech RP500 Effects Processor
Crybaby Classic Wah
Boss Flanger
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss 2 way Channel Switch
Quote by CRplaysguitar
If you think about it, .09 & .10 is only one 10th of a difference. Yet, the in my experience, i've found that .10s tend to be much more durable than .09s. Honestly, what it comes down to is personal preference. My favorite strings are D'addario XL .10s
you should check em out. Also, it is a VERY good idea to learn how to restring your own guitar because the shop will probably charge you for the service. If you do it yourself, its not only cheaper but you can customize the way you like your strings.

hope this helps

Along those lines, check out Seymour Duncan's string winding technique at 07:30 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgib50ROqRc
you should try 11's they last forever and sound great------ your fingers and hand will hurt for a week or two and then you will be in heaven
and on most guitars-- no adjustments are nec
9's feel like fishing line to me--- thicker strings sound better
like they said its possible you may need to adjust your bridge truss rod action inotation and everything but with the size difference it is also possible that you may have to change anything
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Intonation WILL be out when you change gauges unless your ears don't work! Diameter of the string matters. If it didn't then all the bridge saddles would be in the same position instead of staggered all over the place according to size. Truss rod may or may not need adjusting due to increased or decreased tension from the different gauge.
Moving on.....