So my band and I are ready to go to the studio. Were gonna book some time in november. We have at this point in time 6 orignals completed. 3 on the way but in need of lyrics and 1 more than needs alot of work. What I am asking is should we hold off just a little bit longer (though were aiming for x-mas... yeah I know, last minute but sush) and release a full length album? Personally I would buy one of those over an e.p.. Plus I will be able to get all our songs copywrighted easier. And it is out first c.d. so it is kind of special for us to release a Full length. But is it a good idea? I am asking for your input and please... let the smart ass answers come if they are gonna be helpful haha
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
I'd go with the E.P. If you guys want to get serious, labels would rather have a cd of 3 or 4 really well made songs, instead of a full album of mediocre songs.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
album album album
you'll work harder. you'll be more picky when it comes to songs. and you'll spend more time on production.
Well mate, my bands in the exact same problem - we dont know what to do, trying to find a promoter or something and maybe release a Single first/record a video etc. We're itching to get some stuff out into the void, but in the same boat as unsure what we're gonna do - we've recorded some stuff, but would redo it if we were gonna get serious about it. If you've got a big enough fanbase - from gigs/people you think would buy your record - i would do the album over the E.P, if you guys cant wait, and dont have a big enough crowd, do an ep and get some bigger/better gigs and try and hook people in, and wow them on the first album release.

I hope this is any help, we're in the process of doing as many higher profile gigs as we can (support slots at the bigger venues/headline slots at the clubs and that) and just trying to get as many people as possible to actually say, "aw, we really like them". Then we'll decide what we're gonna do. So, good luck with whatever ye choose, and i hope it all works out for ye. .
Partick Thistle - The Greater Glasgow Alternative

Gear List

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez V70 Acoustic
Boss ME-50 FX Pedal
Boss OD-1 Pedal
Zoom G2 FX Pedal
Vox AD15VT
Pro Tools 9
my band released an EP. we were planning on releasing more songs but we wanted to release it sooner so we went with the EP. doing this we were much more focused and we were able to do a much better job than if we had done too much in a shorter time. go for the EP. labels want to see your writing ability not how much you can spend in a studio

also once your songs are recorded they are copywritten. just by having a hard copy of the music makes them so
www.facebook.com/allbutimpossible

Live Arsenal

Guitars
ESP EC1000 FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ESP H1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RG7321

Amp
Line 6 Valve HD 100 Head
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 412 Cab

Misc
Shure PGX14 Wireless
Korg DTR-1000
Well the band has spent a year and a half getting to where we are so it is not a bunch of mediocure stuff spit out at last minute. Plus were getting the studio (up to 10 hours) free because of one of our shows. So the only thing were spending money on is the cd's. Regardless were gonna record them all. It has been alot of hard work and if something is not done to our liking we will wait. Yeah we want to release an album by x-mas but we also wanted to last year and waited, then we hoped for easter, then waited. Were good at waiting but getting ancy. I mean it is an acoustic blues rock band... were stoaked to show our style for only being 18 and white (no offense but blues just doesnt come easy to us)

Now I guess the other question I should ask is... if we release an E.P. is it wrong to throw 2-3 of those songs back into the Album?

I am not to sure what to do, I mean 2 e.p.'s could mean greater monatary potential but also would take more time between releases that we would be like ugh lets get it out. Album would make us less money (though were not in it completely for the money... gas from gig to gig is nice though) but get us out there all the way for people to tell us there favorites and know which way to pursue the rest of our music career.
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
If you have no prior experience in a studio, I'd go for the EP. It's going to take far more time than you think. Those 10hrs of studio time which is free would be enough to do 2-3 songs max.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
depends on how long it takes for you guys to write songs, if it takes forever go for the ep and if not go for the album
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Quote by Elusive

Now I guess the other question I should ask is... if we release an E.P. is it wrong to throw 2-3 of those songs back into the Album?

This is pretty common. I would say go for the EP, then just put those songs on a full release when ever the time comes.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
EP is def the way to go. less $ spent on studo time, and no last minute hammering songs together. it'll be great for press kits and such, and you'll be more likely to keep your x-mas release date. someone said earlier that you'll focus more on production quality if you go LP. I disagree. seeing as how this will be your first studio experience I thin you'd just wind up with more tracks at a lower production quality. also, know what you want, production-wise, going in. it'll make it easier for you to communicate with the engineer. otherwise, it's possible that he'll fall into his old habbits (every producer has them) and just record you the same way he would [whatever band]. spend a fair amount of time dialing in the right tones. the last thing you want is to listen to playback and think "man, we should've... whatever." now you're going to spend more valuable time trying to re-create that "perfect take." yes, a lot of things can be touched up in post-production, but you'll get a better sound by solving the problem at the source.
Quote by Elusive
So my band and I are ready to go to the studio. Were gonna book some time in november. We have at this point in time 6 orignals completed. 3 on the way but in need of lyrics and 1 more than needs alot of work. What I am asking is should we hold off just a little bit longer (though were aiming for x-mas... yeah I know, last minute but sush) and release a full length album? Personally I would buy one of those over an e.p.. Plus I will be able to get all our songs copywrighted easier. And it is out first c.d. so it is kind of special for us to release a Full length. But is it a good idea? I am asking for your input and please... let the smart ass answers come if they are gonna be helpful haha

I recommend writing a few more songs, and then taking the best 4 - 6 and recording an Ep/demo. Another thing you could do, is record all of them, then only place 4 - 6 of the best on the cd, and release the others later on myspace or whatever.
EP. That's easier to shop to labels. Atleast, that's what my band is working on. It really all depends on the band and where you want to go with it.
EP.

3 separate 4 track EPs will keep you in the spotlight more than 1 12 track album.
***Short Sig***
I like Awsome Drummer and Toms answers and I think that is gonna be the way were gonna go. I mean we have the stuff done, Might as well record it and then Just decide from there what to do. I mean songs available over download somewhere else that you cannot find on the e.p. might be at our advatage to, if the ep is only a few bucks but the song you want is not there then the good old .99 cent download could help us recoup the cost of buying all the manufactured cd's

Thank you allf or your help cause I was really iffy on what to do... who knows e.p. for x-mas album for easter haha
Bring Back the Music

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
An album should have cohesion - a common theme or storyline that ties all the songs together.

An EP of your 3 or 4 best songs would be more useful for introducing yourself and building momentum for a full album once you've had some experience in the studio.
Think about it this way. You have 12 songs let's say. Cutting eight tracks for an EP of 3-4 is going to sound better than cutting two to make an album of 10. Even most professional band albums tend to have some 'low time' on them. That's why getting the best songs on one EP is going to seem better to record labels and makes better first impressions, unless you are positive that the quality of all of your songs is high enough.

Besides, have you ever recorded? Depend on how it's going, you may be sick of it after four songs, let alone ten.
what's your budget? because 10 hours of studio time, if that includes dialing everything in, micing, automations, editing, the engineer's smoke breaks, etc., then you'll barely have time left to track! if you're looking for a pro-sounding release, expect that ten free hours to buy you about half of a song.
If you're doing 10 hours of studio time, is that also 10 hours of mixing from the engineer or just 10 hours of tracking? Bc they may charge you for an engineer to mix the songs after the 10 hours.

I'd say DEFINITELY do an EP. You won't be able to record a full length album in 10 hours. I'd focus on the production quality of a 3-5 song cd. Aim for 3 songs, 5 if you have time, but make sure the 3 songs you have are the best. Studio prep Check that link for stuff you may need to know before going into it.

It's all about 1st impressions. For your 1st cd, I would make 3 QUALITY songs to give to your fans. It's also somewhat a teaser. If they like that cd, they will want to hear more. It will create a buzz and when your full-length cd (or a second ep) drops you will sell more records since the buzz has been made from that 1st quality recording.
I had a band come in and record a full ten song album (well... nine songs) in a six hour recording day. But consider.... the aesthetic of hardcore punk has an entirely different production value from, say, Def Leppard. Also consider, they did practically no overdubs. They were super prepared, and were happy enough to live with a few mistakes. Again, chalk that up to an entirely different aesthetic. Think Minor Threat.

OTOH, I generally advise two six-hour days for a good three song demo. That's tracking. I don't charge for mixing, but most studios do.

Going further.... our album took us six months... because it could.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Speaking from experience (we recorded a 6 track EP (even though i know 6 tracks isnt technically an EP)) over the last four days. It takes a lot longer than you think. For example, we started at 10am setting up and micing up and all that. Come 7.30 pm that evening we got the base tracks of the 6 songs down. then the next day was spent on overdubs and vocals. and trust me, we were down to the wire. Started again at 10am, this time with no setting up or micing, and were there until 7.45 pm finishing it off. Possibly would have spent a little longer at it, but we were supposed to finish at 6.30, but the recording engineer was really nice, and hung back as long as he could (he had a gig that night). Then the next two days were for mixing. I am quite happy with the result.

Basically what i am trying to get across is that it takes a very surprising amount of time to get tracks down. Like it took all day for us to get 6 base tracks down, and the engineer even commented that we were getting through them pretty quickly compared to a lot of the bands that come down to the studio. So if you plan on going into studio to record a full length, be prepared for it to take a long time, and be expensive.

And for the love of god, make sure you know your stuff before you go in. As in, not saying yeah we know that, Actually playing it, until you can get it three times in a row completely flawless
There was a very similar thread he other day, so I'm just going to repost my thoughts here:

The 'EP' has become a bullsh*t concept lately. Unless you're releasing it on a label or widely distributing it in some way it's just a bloody demo, okay?

So many bands these days are more concerned about looking and acting like they're in the music business than actually getting the music right. Bands like to talk the talk, and the most common phrase I hear is 'we're releasing an EP'.
But what does that really mean? You're not 'releasing' it anywhere, it's just a shoddy 4-6 track demo you might burn on CD-Rs and sell to a few mates, or put on Myspace.

Self-financing an album is very expensive, so don't do it 'just for fun'. Even an 'EP' is five or six tracks, so for good quality you'll need a few hundred dollars. You can maybe sell them to your mates and family for $4 a pop. But if you're not a great band and the recording quality is poor, the few you actually sell will never be listened to, except as a novelty.

Unless your band is either well known enough to recoup all the recording expenses selling CDs (we're talking a bare minimum of $1000 for an album worth listening to), just do a a cheap demo of two or three tracks.
Put a budget aside of about $100 - $200 for the recording focusing on high quality, not amount of songs, and sell the demo online (call it a maxi-single or an EP if you're really that pretentious) for $2.50.

Unless you're signed, or have a big following (we're talking hundreds of genuine fans here) concentrate on getting a few good songs, recorded well - not 60 minutes of badly-recorded sh*t no-one will ever listen to.
Quote by kyle62
There was a very similar thread he other day, so I'm just going to repost my thoughts here:

We have saved up 1200 on top of our 10 free hours of studio time. This does include mixing and they are charging us $100 for every 6 hours after our ten free hours. The recordings are not "holy **** amazing" but there radio ready and a few songs recorded there have been on local radio stations. I know this is a financial dissision that really could be a new guitar or a new car but were willing to take it and attempt a worlwide distribution. I have lined up deals with 5 record/music stores in teh area for distribution. This has really had alot of time and effort put into preperation and as for time consumption with 2 guys with there guitar singing. It is not gonna take a billion hours to mic everything like it would a full band. I am still gonna make sure we use every mic possible for an amazing recording (I mean telling them 3 mics per guitar to see how it sounds and pick the best 1 or 2 to mix together) I know what I want vocally. Really were ready to record it was just a matter of releasing everything at once or holding off to do a multi release

*Looks like it did not quote your quote, but whatever you get the point and all reading this do to... I hope... Also thank you and I hope it helps any other band with the same issue I have
Bring Back the Music

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
Last edited by Elusive at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by Elusive
were willing to take it and attempt a worlwide distribution. I have lined up deals with 5 record/music stores in teh area for distribution.

...and as for time consumption with 2 guys with there guitar singing. It is not gonna take a billion hours to mic everything like it would a full band.

deals with local music stores =/= world wide distribution. most record stores, even the big guys like best buy, have a section for local artists... that never gets looked at... especially considering that hard copy album sales have been in the toilet for the past couple'a years with no real turn-around in sight, but i digress.

point is, unless you're name is tim reynolds and you're doing another live album with dave matthews, your deal with the local stores won't amount to much. you'll get better results at shows than you will from all your local stores combined (if people like you, otherwise you'll be hurting all around)... which reminds me, would'a been nice to know you were a two-piece guitar duo from the get go. please tell me you're not trying to do a two-guitarist-plus-vocals-only thing with anything but acoustics.
Quote by GrisKy
jn: hey man, how did you do that mod on your avatar???

The avatar exchange thread, over in the new member forum
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I'd go with the E.P. If you guys want to get serious, labels would rather have a cd of 3 or 4 really well made songs, instead of a full album of mediocre songs.

This.

That way, if and when they sign you up, they'll put you with a music producer who will be able to help rewrite and arrange your songs for some more consistency. IMO that outweighs the drawback of having your artistic expression reduced somewhat, if that's an issue with which you're concerned.

From a fan point of view, I'd rather hear albums, because everyone and their grandma does an E.P. and being able to cut a full-length record does separate the men from the boys. Most bands really aren't that prolific or consistent to pull it off well.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
The avatar exchange thread, over in the new member forum

cool, thanks man.
writing a good album is difficult. besides the fact that you 9-15 songs written that are good, i think there's a greater demand for cohesiveness. honestly, on your first time in a studio you should aim to do, at most, 4 songs. if you have lots of songs, great. pick your best 4. it will be more useful. honestly, it will appeal to people a lot more. people will be more willing to pick up an ep for a few quid because they enjoyed the gig than an album for a tenner. furthermore, if you're wanting to send these things to promoters, its a lot more sensible to have a shorter EP; they're more likely to listen to it.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
WRITE MORE SONGS. If you write 6 songs, you can have an EP. But if you write 12 songs, half of those will be better than the other half and you can choose which songs to put in and you will have a better EP.

Seriously, don't rush your first release. But don't waste time either. Recording 6 mediocre songs will put a dent in your wallet and in your reputation. Also, CD's are dead as far as independant artists are concerned. Sign up to Bandcamp and use their service to distribute, its genuinely the best thing I've ever seen online for musicians. Give away what you can for free because people wont buy cd's of a band they've never heard of. They will however download a free album/ep if its well done and then maybe come to your shows.
Hey Grisky... Right now it is Just 2 guys and acoustic instrument. I have almost finished up 2 piano songs (something new for me so there not all to good) but it is a 2 man acoustic blues band. Were thinking of Expanding to One Drum and Guitar till we find some musicians we feel comfortable with taking on the other parts (So I can go back to guitar cause drums are just a side experiement) But right now were a Duo...

But I think it is pretty settled that were gonna Cut an E.P. for X-mas and then go from there.
Bring Back the Music

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster