My Mesa has a cooling fan, and it makes a lot of noise that my mic picks up when I record it. Would it be safe to remove the fan? Or is there a way to turn it off without taking it out? (I imagine it would come in handy at a gig where my volume is higher and the tubes get hotter)
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by nick11link
My Mesa has a cooling fan, and it makes a lot of noise that my mic picks up when I record it. Would it be safe to remove the fan? Or is there a way to turn it off without taking it out? (I imagine it would come in handy at a gig where my volume is higher and the tubes get hotter)

Why are you recording with the volume low?
You want to be LOUD when you record (well, most types of music that you would use a Mesa for anyway.)

You're amp should EASILY overpower the volume of the fan, and unless the mic is placed behind the amp, next to the tubes, you shouldn't hear it in a recording.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I don't play with it at high volumes because it is PAINFULLY loud when you go past 2.

I guess what I'm asking is, do I NEED the cooling fan?
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War

you could de-solder the wire from the power supply and re-solder it directly to ground temporarily
or if you're feeling ambitious you could install a switch that does this

i wouldn't just short the circuit though unless i knew it wouldn't cause any problems

also you don't need the fan, it just keeps the other components cool from the excess heat of tubes which usually isn't an issue unless they are millimeters apart from other components
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 12, 2009,
no
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
You could just take it out.
As in, desolder and isolate the wires (some come with wire clips you can unsnap, I added these to my MKIII).

Some Mesas have a fan on/off switch, specifically for recording (Lonestars, prolly others).
I don't think it's all that necessary, though, I agree that your amp should be plenty loud enough to drown it out.

They're usually pretty quiet, though, maybe something's up with your fan?
You could always install a 240v fan (I believe Mesa sells them) and run it at 120v (which I assume you have. USA, right?).

That quiets it down a lot, without losing much airflow.

Although it probably won't hurt it much, as long as you're not running for too long at a time, removing that heat is good for tube and component life.

Thus ends my opinion on Mesa amp fans.
I see. So if I cut one section of the wire that powers the fan an solder in an on-off switch, that won't cause any problems?
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War