Hey guys,

I recently picked up an electric guitar so I can play some of the songs that I listen to. At the moment however, I'm being limited by the following difficulties and was wondering if anyone else had these same problems and could provide helpful tips and tricks.

1) Touching the wrong string

A lot of the times when I for example press the G string (standard tuning) on the 8th fret, my finger will press it correctly, however the fleshy bit under my finger (the part that doesn't get the callouses) touches the B string below it.
Even if it doesn't touch it initially, when i strum that B string, the string might then touch my finger and just mute itself.

2) Strumming the wrong strings in chords (especially the low E string)

Especially with power chords, when I don't want to strum the low E string, sometimes i accidentally do it, but I don't know how to upstrum without hitting that string.

3) String continues to reverberate after I let go

This is obviously just an issue with the physics of it, but whenever I play, for example the intro to Dammit by Blink-182, if i hit a note on the low e string, I need to let go of it to press the next one, but it'll keep going because the motion of letting go of the string causes the string to keep vibrating.

I'm sure to the experts out there, these problems seem like really easy fixes. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
All of those problems will naturally go away as you learn guitar

I've had the same exact problem, but as you learn guitar, you'll notice them disappearing.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
1. Curl your finger and maybe lower the action on your guitar.
2. Practice. I had the same problem when I bought my 7-string. I would hit the low B string sometime. But after a while, I learned to avoid it.
3. Muting. Palm muting would help a lot. And you can mute with your left hand by just lifting your fingers up a bit so that the string doesn't ring but your finger is still on it to stop extra ringing.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
1) Touching the wrong string - try and use the tip of your finger to fret, rather than the fleshy part. If you only have this problem higher on the neck, take a look at how you are holding your guitar - you might find it easier if you tilt it so the headstock is higher up, so you can reach higher notes without having to bend your wrist so much.

2) Strumming the wrong strings in chords (especially the low E string) - most of this is practice, but you can help yourself by muting the E string with your fretting hand - Just let the finger you're sing to fret the A string touch the E string enough to stop it ringing. You should still learn to hit only the strings you want, but learn to mute at the same time.

3) String continues to reverberate after I let go - thats just muting again. Slow down your playing, and instead of taking your finger straight off the string try and relax it so the note stops sounding, then move it. Don't worry if you need to play really slow to do it - you'll speed up over time.
Bottom line is practice.

Slow everything down and keep it slow, as in snail's pace slow, until your hands understand what it is you're asking them to do. Your problem at the moment is you're basically trying to do something at a certain speed before you've actually learned how to do it. Slowing right down allows you to tech your hands what it is you want them to do.

As a simple example, let's say you want to pick these two notes at x speed.

e|------
B|------
G|----7-
D|--5---
A|------
E|------

Now that looks like it should be simple doesn't it? but it's not, not if you don't know how to play yet. You've got loads of variables to consider...you need to pick the right string and not hit the others, you need to pick that string cleanly, you need to fret the right string in the right place in the right way and you need to do the two things together at the same time.

You need to have all those things in place before you even consider going above anything other than a crawl so that's where you need to start. It doesn't matter if it takes you 20 seconds to play those two notes, if that's how slow you need to go to get it right then that's where you have to start. Once you've taught yourself what's actually required to play those two notes, then you can look at speeding thigs up a little. That's something you should get into the habit of doing from now onwards because that's what's required to learn anything on guitar no matter how good you get.

The other thing to keep in mind is not to overstretch yourself, there's nothing more soul-destroying, frustrating and counter-productive than trying to learn stuff that's way out of your league. Concentrate on setting yourself realistic, short-term goals rather than spending too much time daydreaming about stuff that you may be in a position to tackle a year down the line.

Always focus on what it is you can do and how you can directly progress and improve from where you are, rather than worrying about what you can't do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just take everything slowly, and work on those one at a time ie. your fingering, your strumming technique.

Keep working on it, and as you progress you'll notice the problems start to disappear