so I have been having issues with some string hopping with alternate picking and a friend who I don't mean to brag about but is extremely gifted with guitar suggested a circle motion when alternate picking...

I am confused what he meant, such as if i do a small circle while picking the string or a small circle while switching strings... to better explain heres what I am understanding for if he meant circle the string...

If I were to pound on the E, when I do downstrokes I do it normally but when I come backup with the upstroke I do it a very tiny bit back and then go back down in the normal spot making a small circle...

can someone tell me if theres something behind this or if I just misherd him all together?
There is, it's called Circle Picking. Essentially the goal is to move the tip of your pick as though you were drawing a circle on your string (with the string cutting through the center of the circle).
It has it's uses but I wouldn't suggest it for shred or metal playing... It could be used but it wouldn't be the optimal method to attain speed.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Ok I will experiment, I am a huge fan of legatos anyways so I probably wont have alot of pick runs.
Techniques to achieve legato are one thing but alternating picking is another. Legato fretting techniques are not a profession, so you will have to be able to use alternate picking and economy picking with string skipping to become a well rounded guitarist. Don't limit yourself so early!

I'm not too sure what circular picking is; I'm assuming it is what aleksi is talking about.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Quote by ehlert99
Ok I will experiment, I am a huge fan of legatos anyways so I probably wont have alot of pick runs.

A lot of players do use a legato style for speed, e.g. pick only the first note on each string and the rest is done legato.
However, I would still recommend learning to alternate pick, it opens up a ton more dynamic options. Also if you end up doing fast palm muted passages on open strings then you're pretty much going to have to alternate pick (not the only scenario that will require you to alternate pick but just one case where alternate picking is necessary).
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I hope this helps its a video of Eric Johnson explaining how he picks, he talks about circle picking at around 2:40
cheers
Straighten your thumb on downstrokes, bend your thumb on upstrokes. That's the essence of circle picking.
Quote by ehlert99

Alternate picking is the single most important technique on guitar, in my opinion. It's by far the most versatile.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
TS, I would recommend keeping your alternate picking motion as simple as you can for right now. Check your more basic things first before adapting in something that could just be more complicated.

When you pick a string, does your wrist move like you are shaking someones hand(kind of a hand shaking motion from the wrist) or is it more of a turning a door knob motion? There are other ways of course, so explain it to us if it doesn't fit into those to styles.

Now before making any changes to your picking try observing a few things first.
-How far is your pick traveling after striking a string?
-Odd movements during your picking.
-How much of your pick you are actually using to strike the strings.

A lot of people have never really watched their strumming hand in my experience. So just do a few practices and remind yourself to spend some time watching that picking/strumming hand.
epic7734
Well I would like to say first, I love legatos but I never said I would stop practicing alternate picking.. I just don't think I will use it as much in my playing... if that doesnt suit some of you.. that stinks lol but I never said I will never use it... so theres room for error..

Now on to the other question. I use jazz IIIs so I generally use the very tip of it... I try to just give enough for the tip to round over the string idk if that makes sense... Id say when I pick its more of a door knob motion... my only real studders when playing is when it comes to changing strings. Example I was doing an excersize from Jeff Loomis and it went such as

|--------------------------------------5---
|-----------------5----6-5-7-6-8-7----8
|-6-5-7-6-8-7----8---------------------

and so forth. It kind of becomes a studder when i go from 5 on the next string to the 8th of the last string. I use down stroke for 5, and up for the 8 so I would think it would work out fine... Thats a hang up I have been having.
Jazz 3
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
? If you were correcting my spelling no its actually called Jazz III. Roman numerals ftw.
Quote by ehlert99

It kind of becomes a studder when i go from 5 on the next string to the 8th of the last string. I use down stroke for 5, and up for the 8 so I would think it would work out fine... Thats a hang up I have been having.

Ah ha... don't worry yourself to much if that is the case. John Petrucci in his instructional video stated that that was a weak spot for him too(that is weak by his definition...lol).

Also, i used to pick using the method you use. I never really could get that style to work well for me so i changed to the up and down wrist style. I'm not recommending changing your technique, im just throwing that out there is all.

Either way its just a practice thing. You will get it in time.
epic7734
Pick from the wrist. Circle picking isn't very efficient in my opinion. Pivoting from the wrist is a natural movement and people like Paul Gilbert prove it's a great technique.