How many of you have sat down and actually written/practiced lyrics before you ever picked up your instrument? I personally have always jammed instrumentally, picked a rhythm I liked, then went in and added the lyrics/voice last. I think I'm going to try and do the opposite a couple times, it might be good practice to try and find the right notes on the instrument to match my voice.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins
Drummer gives me the beat, then we think about the lyrics.
NRANNHLEILR
OETYSI LRNYS
TATOENYSGM
HLENEGMNRA
IL RENRAOET
NYSCOETTAT
GMAATATHLE

To me. Try, you know you want to^

Puberty
Quote by Will Swanson
I was surprised the first time I came. It shot two feet into the air. I couldn't stop laughing.
It's both ways for me. With my band, most of the time our singer writes the lyrics, and I write the riffs and whatnot, although lately we've been coming up with cool riffs and writing lyrics based off of that.

With my solo work, I usually think of a riff, organize it to be a full-length song, and then come up with lyrics based off of how many verses, bridges, post-choruses, etc.
This should be in the Techniques sub-forum. Please read the rules so you know what goes where.

Also, before you go starting a new thread in Techniques you should read around there first, specifically the stickied threads. This topic has been discussed in there already a number of times.

Thanks.