Alright Im starting to learn Chords and the like but there's one problem.

I can't barre for Sh**.

I do it as videos and stuff tell me but still some of the strings don't quite ring out clearly or are muted altogether. So Woe is me.

So Uhh just wondering, can someone like give a few tips maybe?

EDIT: And when I get them to all ring out clearly after a bit my wrist and sometimes fingers start to get like a 'sorish' hurt that goes away when I release the shape. Wtf is up with that?
Last edited by Kr0nic666 at Oct 12, 2009,
Just keep trying them and they will come. Eventually all of them will ring out and you'll apply the right amount of pressure.
Believe it or not, everyone has the exact same problems when they learn them. It just requires practice.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Oh alright then, Thanks guys.

EDIT: Wait like, is it wrong form or my hand getting used to it.
Last edited by Kr0nic666 at Oct 12, 2009,
Try playing about with the angle of your barring finger, and try rolling it slightly on its side. The play each string individually to see if any of them are muffled or muted. Its more likely to be technique with your barring finger than the amoutn of pressure which muffles strings, s don't just try pressing harder - you'll just wear your hand out quicker doing that.

Don't worry though - barre chords are a pig to start with, You'll get it, and in a few weeks you'll wonder what you were struggling with
As everyone else said, they will come eventually. Try to place your index finger on top of your Middle to increase pressure, helps alot to begin
Yamaha RGX-A2
Line 6 Spider
Need a new amp so much D:
Orange Stack or Marshall JCM 2000 Stack please.
Quote by Slash.vs.Bucket
As everyone else said, they will come eventually. Try to place your index finger on top of your Middle to increase pressure, helps alot to begin

Pardon me for being confused, but how does placing your index finger on your middle finger help? You're have to barre with your index finger, and surely that stops you from barring?

As for the OP, like everyone says. It takes time, just practice and you'll get there evetually. I've only been playing for about 6 months, and have just got it sussed. I've found that I'm not to use too much pressure, and also try and get my thumb, level with my middle finger. It is also worth mentioning, are you doing any scale or stretching exercises?
I don't know if I just have long fingers or what, but the tip of my index finger extends off the fretboard...like I have a full knuckle's worth extending off the fretboard when I barre. While this is the most "comfortable" for me, it also means the B and high E strings often get muted since they don't make good contact with the frets.

I also have trouble dropping the entire finger pattern for a barre at the same time..I usually have to like, lay the index down first and then bring in the other 3 fingers sort of like a rolling motion. Does anyone have any suggestions for developing the ability to just drop in on a barre? For example in Like a Hurricane, I have to go from open C to F and then in something like Down Under..the main chord progression is like Bm A Bm and I can't keep up with it using the "rolling" nature of fretting my barre chords.

Right now I just keep practicing hoping that someday it clicks...but is there a better way to practice?
Last edited by Commodor 64 at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
Try playing about with the angle of your barring finger, and try rolling it slightly on its side.

This.

I also use my thumb to pull my hand against the strings to ensure no string muting!
Been away, am back
when i first started learning barre chords, the higher srings would get muted because i have huge knuckles. like someone said before, try rolling your finger slightly and playing around with what angle youre barring with. eventually, youl find a position that works.
Quote by God
i lol'd
Quote by Commodor 64
I don't know if I just have long fingers or what, but the tip of my index finger extends off the fretboard...like I have a full knuckle's worth extending off the fretboard when I barre. While this is the most "comfortable" for me, it also means the B and high E strings often get muted since they don't make good contact with the frets.
I'd guess that your high strings are getting muted because you're putting your finger so far over. I'd try to find a way you can consistenly play all the strings clean, otherwise you are severely restricting your rhythm playing.

Quote by Commodor 64
I also have trouble dropping the entire finger pattern for a barre at the same time..I usually have to like, lay the index down first and then bring in the other 3 fingers sort of like a rolling motion. Does anyone have any suggestions for developing the ability to just drop in on a barre? For example in Like a Hurricane, I have to go from open C to F and then in something like Down Under..the main chord progression is like Bm A Bm and I can't keep up with it using the "rolling" nature of fretting my barre chords.

Right now I just keep practicing hoping that someday it clicks...but is there a better way to practice?
Slow down, and practice changing chords at a speed where you can place all your fingers at once - even if that means it takes 5 mins to change chords to start with. The more you do it cleanly the easier - and quicker - it will get.
Quote by Commodor 64

Make it into a shape and practice at it is all I can tell ya.