i don't mean chops wise cause obviously he is leauges ahead of jimi in that respect but i mean in terms of creativity,inventiveness and overall skill.
This discussion belongs in the General section or the Pit, mate.

Beware, they bite.
"When words fail, the guitar speaks."
-George Szell
wtf. Hendrix basically invented the use of overdrive. Without him, most forms of rock, all metal, all subgenres of metal, and basically anything that came out of the rock genre would not be the same. Somebody else might have started the whole overdrive thing instead, but still, buckethead and no any other modern guitarist can have that kind of influence. There is really not enough frontier.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
wtf. Hendrix basically invented the use of overdrive. Without him, most forms of rock, all metal, all subgenres of metal, and basically anything that came out of the rock genre would not be the same. Somebody else might have started the whole overdrive thing instead, but still, buckethead and no any other modern guitarist can have that kind of influence. There is really not enough frontier.

disagree, but alright

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
no, only hendrix is like hendrix, be buckethead still kicks huge ass on the guitar, and bass for that matter.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by apak

Do your history dude. You come off as an idiot.

Disagree with you.
Is bryce800 the modern-day rifferextacy517 ??
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
they are different-- hendrix did stuff no one was doing
bucket is technically amazing
they are so different-- you cant compare
/Buckethead does not play with his teeth.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
This discussion belongs in the General section or the Pit, mate.

Beware, they bite.

It was in the pit, it got locked after like 3 posts.
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by bryce800
i don't mean chops wise cause obviously he is leauges ahead of jimi in that respect but i mean in terms of creativity,inventiveness and overall skill.

I don't think Buckethead is ahead of Jimi. You have to realize, Jimi died young. He died before all these other genres came to be. Jimi was always listening to different sounds and going in many different directions music wise before his death. I'm sure if he was alive he would be more technically proficient than a lot of players.

However, I think Hendrix was more creative. I've heard a lot of the same stuff through buckethead, and I think he excels mainly in his acoustic or softer side stuff than his fast metal stuff. Hendrix definitely had a sense of rhythm that not many guitarists can replicate. You can go to youtube and find almost 20 different versions of Jimi's songs. You just don't see them released because his estate is trying to cash in on him.

Music is not about skill. It's about who you can impact with your playing. While I think Buckethead is a phenomenal player and definitely proficient on the technical side, I just don't feel him as much as Hendrix.

If anything before trying to compare two completely different genres, you have to compare things that are atleast somwhat alike. For instance, comparing SRV to Jimi would be a more ideal comparison. However, no two guitarists are alike, so you still can't compare them.

My vote would be for EJ as being the modern day Hendrix. Mainly because they're still in the same genre aspect, and EJ's Hendrix covers are nothing short of mind blowing.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I don't think Buckethead is ahead of Jimi. You have to realize, Jimi died young. He died before all these other genres came to be. Jimi was always listening to different sounds and going in many different directions music wise before his death. I'm sure if he was alive he would be more technically proficient than a lot of players.

However, I think Hendrix was more creative. I've heard a lot of the same stuff through buckethead, and I think he excels mainly in his acoustic or softer side stuff than his fast metal stuff. Hendrix definitely had a sense of rhythm that not many guitarists can replicate. You can go to youtube and find almost 20 different versions of Jimi's songs. You just don't see them released because his estate is trying to cash in on him.

Music is not about skill. It's about who you can impact with your playing. While I think Buckethead is a phenomenal player and definitely proficient on the technical side, I just don't feel him as much as Hendrix.

If anything before trying to compare two completely different genres, you have to compare things that are atleast somwhat alike. For instance, comparing SRV to Jimi would be a more ideal comparison. However, no two guitarists are alike, so you still can't compare them.

My vote would be for EJ as being the modern day Hendrix. Mainly because they're still in the same genre aspect, and EJ's Hendrix covers are nothing short of mind blowing.

Eric Johnson fan much?

jk he's good, I like him alot too.

Well........Lets see how Hendrix and Buckethead compare.
Things on their heads (Afro and Bucket)
They play guitar (duh)
They are both male (I think)
They both wore goofy outfits (yea)
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by I am wet
Eric Johnson fan much?

jk he's good, I like him alot too.

Well........Lets see how Hendrix and Buckethead compare.
Things on their heads (Afro and Bucket)
They play guitar (duh)
They are both male (I think)
They both wore goofy outfits (yea)

I'm glad you noticed . He's definitely had a big impact on my playing as Hendrix has.

Buckethead gets kinda interesting, but his stage persona sucks compared to Hendrix. I don't mean things he does without his guitar, as I find the numchucks and robot dancing to be pretty entertaining, but Hendrix just knew how to work a crowd.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I'm glad you noticed . He's definitely had a big impact on my playing as Hendrix has.

Buckethead gets kinda interesting, but his stage persona sucks compared to Hendrix. I don't mean things he does without his guitar, as I find the numchucks and robot dancing to be pretty entertaining, but Hendrix just knew how to work a crowd.

That is a huge component. Buckethead is not well-known at all. I would say that his biggest accomplishment is having the hardest song in Guitar Hero 2. That's how he got a lot of his current fans (same as Dragonforce). Buckethead isn't really a household name. He's rather unknown compared to a lot of people. Buckethead isn't inspiring people to pick up guitar like Jimi did. He's an icon. I'm not saying anything bad about him, but he's like Gilbert, Vai, Satch, and Petrucci. They're amazing guitarists but they'll never be huge because they don't have that universal appeal. Hendrix was needed at the time. You can even find his name in history books. No other guitarist will ever be at that status unless they're revolutionary.
No. There isn't going to be a modern-day Jimi, in fourty years if Mr. Carroll dies there won't be another Buckethead. Each musician is one-of-a-kind due to their ear for tone, playing style, tastes and sound. Nobody is the new or old version of anything, to me saying Buckethead is the new Jimi is an insult to both.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by apak
Not just that. Before Hendrix guitar was built on strict blues scales and progressions. Now their not, because Hendrix decided it wasn't necessary, and everyone agreed

...or something like that
Quote by dougl126
Did Jimi's creativity come from being on Acid while playing?
You got a problem with Acid?
^^He was left-handed and left-handed people have mental super powers.
no
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Honestly I'd rather say Vai instead of Buckethead but hey that's just my opinion...
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Hendrix was very influential for his time. I think that Buckethead is a more versatile guitarist though.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
both amazing players but buckethead isnt finished yet,
if he gets a bit of mainstream popularity it may happen, somehow i dont think im gonna see buckethead on mtv anytime soon.

i wonder what hendrix could have acomplished if he lived longer
Quote by apak

I hate people who say without so and so.. there would be no so and so

Influence can come from anywhere really..
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Quote by FallsDownStairs

EJ doesn't play that much blues rock on his album.
Quote by Fiire
^^He was left-handed and left-handed people have mental super powers.
agreed.

There's no such thing as a modern day hendrix.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.