Page 1 of 2
Looks legit to me. I checked out the serial number, and according to Fender's website your serial number corresponds with a MIM Strat made between the years of 1995-1996.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think it is fake besides the logo color?
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
the frets are vintage and when I looked inside the body cavity it was really messy. the paint job inside was pretty bad and I could see saw dust around the edges of the cavity. The truss rod hole is also colored black for some reason. Those are the only reasons I could suspect this is fake.
Quote by Scarface735
the frets are vintage and when I looked inside the body cavity it was really messy. the paint job inside was pretty bad and I could see saw dust around the edges of the cavity. The truss rod hole is also colored black for some reason. Those are the only reasons I could suspect this is fake.

You paid how much for it? MIMs aren't made to be phenomenal guitars. They're built on a budget, which is why they're made in mexico, hence MIM.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
You paid how much for it? MIMs aren't made to be phenomenal guitars. They're built on a budget, which is why they're made in mexico, hence MIM.

I doubt it's fake. It would be strange to fake a MIM guitar.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
I guess your right then. Its just the body looks oddly similar to my squier. Whatever though. It sounds ok in my tube amp.
Seems legit to me

Here is a link to a 1995 strat on ebay and it is the same.

OP, if it plays wells and sounds great, I don't think a little brand discrepancy is that bad.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
Quote by Scarface735
I guess your right then. Its just the body looks oddly similar to my squier. Whatever though. It sounds ok in my tube amp.

well considering that squier is the epiphone of fenders, itd make sense that the body types where similar.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
It seems legit to me, and apparently the serial checks out so I think you're doing alright.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Well, I've seen many of both with just a Black Logo and some with the silver outlines one.
I'm not positive but when I first bought mine the dealer who I've been friends with for a year or so now told me 90's aren't outline in silver.
I can't guaranteed this is true though.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Does it say Squier Series on the ball of the headstock?

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
it looks legit for sure. don't worry
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by Scarface735

Don't all strat's look similar once you take 'em apart though? Granted I think some strats have holes under the pickguard below the neck and middle pickup while some others essentially won't they all look the same?
Looks like the tuners were also exchanged unless vintage Klusons were used in the 90s on MIMs.

Fender just recently started putting the serial number and the Made in Mexico somewhere else on their standards. I know my MIM that I bought before that change still says Made in Mexico on the front of the headstock.

If plays and sounds nice, it shouldn't matter though.
That's how they made em in '95.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
People normally make MIM strat look like US strat. Unfortunateley, you seem to have an authentic MIM strat.
and it's the best Strat (of 4) I have ever owned. It's real - nobody would fake a Mexican Strat - not enough money in it.

Play it and enjoy it - they are very good instruments.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
Quote by DotSick
Does it say Squier Series on the ball of the headstock?

no it actually looked like it was scratched off.
the truss rod hole is supposed to be black, and the wiring in my MIM fender is messy as all hell. i wouldn't worry about it. i think they just recently (more recently) switched over to the all black logos. could be wrong about that, but everything else about it looks fine to me!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Who would bother faking up a mim strat?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
well. $260 for a squier made from MIM-fender parts isn't too bad. if you tried to buy those parts individually it would be a whole lot more.

anyway, what makes you so sure now that its a fake?

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
Quote by Scarface735
so it basically is a fake. Its a squier and for $260 I got ripped off.

Sounds like somebody put a MIM neck on a squier body...which is pretty pointless because the neck alone is going to eat up all their profit You could try taking the neck off, and running the serial number that should be in the neck pocket...but if it is fake, they likely painted over it or sanded it out. Wouldn't hurt to try...its only a few screws. Anyway to get your money back? Where did you buy it?

Then again...I mean if you like it, who cares? No one is going to know its fake but you (and everybody who reads this thread).
Quote by eyebanez333
Then again...I mean if you like it, who cares? No one is going to know its fake but you (and everybody who reads this thread).

my thought too. the only person who will know / will care would be you. if it plays and feels great, who cares?

wow. who fakes a MIM?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
My old MIM had all of that stuff, black plastic around the truss rod hole, black logo, crappiness inside the cavities. No worries man, it's real.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by jeffc313
wow. who fakes a MIM?

Exactly nobody is going to fake a cheap guitar
Quote by So-Cal
Exactly nobody is going to fake a cheap guitar

thats not true. this is exactly why people make fake epiphones and MIM fenders. because other people think nobody will. so somebody will pay $500 thinking they got the real deal when they did not.

people are going to look at a $2000 les paul a lot harder to make sure it's not a fake, rather than a $500 fender. so why not make a fake of what people won't check so thoroughly?

does anyone here know how to find the diffrence between a alder and agathis body? Besides the obviuous tone but how would the wood look?
Squiers have a different number of screws holding the pick guard on. I am told they do it for ID purposes. My Squier strat has 8 screws, MIM has 12 if I recall.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
If i give fender my serial number could they tell me what color the oringal body was? I'm thinking the original owner kept the body and gave me a cheap one.
it's worth a try. i'd send them an email and see.

Quote by sly fly
Unfortunateley, you seem to have an authentic MIM strat.

Lol Signatured.

Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Fender MIK DG-11E
Pod Xt-Live Floor
Crate GFX-20 Amp

Quotes
Quote by sly fly
Unfortunateley, you seem to have an authentic MIM strat.
Page 1 of 2