Is it just me, or does it generally seem that the "dodgier" brands (such as Legacy and Stagg) are the ones that advertise guitars with prices ending in 95c or 99c? This is just a random observation, but even just the sight of one of those labels puts me on alert, as the more reliable companies don't seem to bother with adding cents to their prices.

Yes, this isn't the most groundbreaking discovery, but I like to think it beats that thread where the guy claimed to have invented a new technique involving playing closer to the guitar bridge to change the tone. Yay for the Internet.
all of the companies that make guitars are in it to make money, whether they add .99 .95 or end their price in 9... it does not mean anything

fender custom shop guitars cost $3999 not $4000 ....
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
all of the companies that make guitars are in it to make money, whether they add .99 .95 or end their price in 9... it does not mean anything

fender custom shop guitars cost $3999 not $4000 ....

yeah but it's not $3999.99
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
yeah but it's not $3999.99

so $299.99 and $299.00 difference is more significant than $3999 and $4000 ?

it's still the same idea. i just don't see what significance the 99 cents has
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
so $299.99 and $299.00 difference is more significant than $3999 and $4000 ?

it's still the same idea. i just don't see what significance the 99 cents has

no significance at all. the point is that low end guitars tend to be priced with pennies at the end. the use the whole "psychological pricing" thing. whereas very high end guitars don't use that silly marketing technique because they know they don't really need to market.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Last edited by Svennz at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no significance at all. the point is that low end guitars tend to be priced with pennies at the end. the use the whole "psychological pricing" thing. whereas very high end guitars don't use that silly marketing technique because they know they don't really need to market.

+1

it's a psychological effect. Even if you are aware of it, it happens.

$3999.99 or $3999.95 is still perceived as cheaper than $4000, even though you know the saving of 5 cents will buy you nothing.

Damn it, I'm gonna start checking for this $0.99 on guitars too.

Still... like most say, it doesn't show anything.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Do you know how this nonsense came about? Its not that it is psychologically more attractive to look like a lower price. That was a handy spin-off. The real reason was to make assistants in stores have to ring up a sale and give change, which reduced the likelihood of theft by the assistant.
But I'll concur with the idea that its the **** brands that tend to do it most. We may well see some reverse psychology creeping in soon, where prices are deliberately set away from the £X99 or £X95 as a sign of quality.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Do you know how this nonsense came about? Its not that it is psychologically more attractive to look like a lower price. That was a handy spin-off. The real reason was to make assistants in stores have to ring up a sale and give change, which reduced the likelihood of theft by the assistant.
But I'll concur with the idea that its the **** brands that tend to do it most. We may well see some reverse psychology creeping in soon, where prices are deliberately set away from the £X99 or £X95 as a sign of quality.

Dude, do you have a source for that? Not to say I doubt you, but I would just like to verify that fact... it seems very plausible.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
after looking around at musiciansfriend that looks pretty true. but Fender prices almost all their stuff with $0.99 at the end.

but i think the theory about looking like a lower price is true. if it were to prevent theft a long time ago then it would have run it's course by now. if anything it would encourage theft because it's easier to steal in small amounts if you're ringing up items and giving out small change. it's a lot more obvious if all you have to steal from are large bills.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Lurcher

thank you. I've always wondered why stores started that, and never bought the whole psychology bullcrap.

I'm immune to psychology.
Quote by Lurcher

Lurcher wins...it was indeed introduced to force cashiers to use their new fangled till-devices.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com