Hey all,

To those who haven't seen it, I give away the end here, so don't get mad if you keep reading. Plus.....you've had like, 10 years, so seriously, get on it :P

Anyways, this might seem somewhat random, but I need your collective genuises... er, geniusi? :P haha anyways, need your help to settle a bet....

In Saving Private Ryan, when they are at that big Radio Outppost, and they spare that German guy.... He's the one who stabs the jewish guy to death in the big fight at the end, and also ends up popping tom hanks too right? And then the Uppum er whatever guy ends up killing him at the end, taking hostages, etc....

Anyways, we were havin a huge debate about this at work. Couple people are adamant that it was two different guys (germans i mean). They're thinking that its only the same guy who was spared and then goes on to kill Tom Hanks' guy at the end. They think that the german who kills the jewish dude was just some rando guy. I don't think that makes sense, cause the Uppum guy was clearly the one who saved his tail and made sure they didn't kill him right? Tell me i'm not goin nuts! :P
yep, your nuts.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Yeah, the Uppum guy saved his ass.

After they let him go he came back and capped a few of them. Remember that the guys were kickin his ass and stuff when he was captured?

Remember the guy who he stabbed in the heart? He seemed to know who he was.

He also ran right into Uppum after killing them and just ignored him because Uppum helped him get out.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
see thats what I thought, but I've honestly checked a few sites online to see if this is right, but no where specifically says its the same dude hah meh, the pit's credible enough for me!

Beer for erbody!
Quote by QOTSA40
see thats what I thought, but I've honestly checked a few sites online to see if this is right, but no where specifically says its the same dude hah meh, the pit's credible enough for me!

Beer for erbody!

There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I was pretty sure that the Nazi that stabbed the guy was a different one than the guy from the outpost.
Quote by daytripper75
I was pretty sure that the Nazi that stabbed the guy was a different one than the guy from the outpost.

Really?

O_o

Because before Uppum kills him he's like "ey, remember meh?".

I hope I'm just not imagining all this stuff.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by daytripper75

He's right. It's the same nazi at the end, but the guy who stabs the jew is different I believe. The only reason he didn't kill Uppum or whatever his name is after the jew is because he was crying like a bitch I believe.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
He's right. It's the same nazi at the end, but the guy who stabs the jew is different I believe. The only reason he didn't kill Uppum or whatever his name is after the jew is because he was crying like a bitch I believe.

I guess that makes sense...

Quote by CrossBack7
i dont think he really let him be solely because uppum showed compasion at the radio tower, but primarily because he was crying like a little bitch instead of going upstairs to help his fellow soldier out. so he decided uppum would be a waste of his time and ammo. remember when uppum had the team at gun-point, the german commmented saying that uppum wouldnt shoot.

edit: aww....beat me to it...bastard...
Last edited by jettzypher at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by daytripper75
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120815/faq#.2.1.4

That should answer your question.

Good stuff in that link.

The translation of the german when he is killing mellish makes me sad.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I don't think the soldier that killed melish was the same one Uppum (spelling) let go. I think he is the same one that shot Tom Hanks though.
daytripper75, you are indeed the awesome. good find, I'm humbled haha now to delete IMDB so people at work still think im right .... UG, you're next
i always thought it was the same guy dude but according to the ppl at imdb they are different people (the one who kills mellish or whatever his name is and the steamboat willie guy)
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
It's a different guy. The one who Uppum shoots at the end is the same guy he saved at the MG nest, when Wade dies. The one who stabs Mellish and the guy who shot Tom Hanks was the same guy.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
I have seen this a billion times and have always been sure it was the same guy, guess i'm gonna have to rewatch it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
They are different.

They guy let him pass because he was scared.

When he saw the guy from the radar thingey he got pissed and shot him because he betrayed him.
Quote by maggot9779
They are different.

They guy let him pass because he was scared.

When he saw the guy from the radar thingey he got pissed and shot him because he betrayed him.

And also shot him because when they blindfolded him made him walk 1000 paces, they were expecting him to get picked up by American patrols and become a POW.
http://www.sproe.com/s/steamboat-german.html

EDIT: If you click the numbers underneath the picture on the right you can see up close photos of the guy.

Read the very bottom

"This character is unnamed in the movie, but is referred to as "Steamboat Willie" in the credits. One very common mistake that viewers make in watching Saving Private Ryan is assuming that the German soldier set free by Miller is the same one that kills Private Mellish. The soldier that kills Mellish is from the Waffen-SS, while Steamboat Willie is a regular soldier in the Heer (Army). The two characters do bear a superficial resemblance to each other, largely due to their shaven heads and basic Germanic racial characteristics. In reality German soldiers did not have such closely-cropped hair, but for reasons unknown the production crew made sure that the German extras all received the same haircut."
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Last edited by Phazon at Oct 13, 2009,
Wow yesterday me and like 6 other people were watching that movie and we all started arguing about if that. ****ing weird