Page 1 of 2
Every time I look at a thread on UG everyone talks about metal, plays metal guitars, is in metal bands, etc... Are you one of the only people you know who is interested in metal? Where I live, all the musicians play fenders or gibson hollow-bodies. Not once in my time at high school have I seen anyone bring a "metal" guitar to school. All the bands play southern indie rock type stuff (I am in Nashville). Saying I listen to metal is an overstatement but I am familiar with the genre and subgenres. Basically what I am saying is are you pretty much on your own when it comes to your musical taste?
Metal is used for everything here.

Steel, copper, Iron, etc.

Yup.

Times are a changin'.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
no, a lot of people i know in my county likes metal or some form of it. even in high school, which surprises me considering the size of the place...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
I live in southeastern America. I guess it could be worse, but it could also be a lot better. A lot of decent tours skip NC.

On the other hand, we have one of metal's finest exports: Between the Buried and Me
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Lucky you,
everyone in my town listens to Metal/Scene music (one or the other).
Again I say,
lucky you.
Everybody in the music department at my school is. Seriously, pretty much everybody is into stuff like BTBAM, BMTH, Protest, Meshuggah, Mastodon Tool, August Burns Red, Job for a Cowboy, Converge, metal like that. I'm not as big a fan of it (Tool, Mastodon and Meshuggah are exceptions). My issue is finding people who are into electronic music. It's basically me, and the friends that I've shown IDM to. A lot of people are into trip-hop and breakbeats though.
In my high school, there were 2 metal heads besides myself in my class

Metal's more popular here at college, though not by alot.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
not that popular thank god. i am pretty much the anti-metal head, so if i had a bunch of br00talz kvlt idiots around i'd go insane.
I honestly consider myself the only metalhead that's in regular school, not alternative program or less advanced classes. Granted my school's only 400 people, in a farming community.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Barely, im the only metal listener in class, in school, few others.
I live in Estonia, and I know like ~10 metalheads, total.
My gear:
Guitars:
- Ibanez VBT-700
Amplifiers:
- Marshall DSL401
The crowd I associate with does, but the vast majority around here get off on post-hardcore and gangsta rap. Although Alt has some presence here too.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
A few kids like it, but it's not really that big. I myself do not like metal, so I guess that's good for me
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
here in my part of San Diego dude finding a metal head at my school is rare, everyone is into the rap and hip hop **** and only that....
You know you're loved when someone breaks a guitar over your leg and everyone's more concerned about the guitar than you.

Quote by Fiire
^total philosopher
Quote by RU Experienced?
For the most part people around me listen to pop/mainstream hip hop.

It drives me insane.

Why does it drive you crazy?
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I live in southeastern America. I guess it could be worse, but it could also be a lot better. A lot of decent tours skip NC.

On the other hand, we have one of metal's finest exports: Between the Buried and Me

What part of NC? I'm in a major city (Greensboro) and I can't find a single metal radio station. The band in my sig is local, though they are opening for some serious acts, and have toured as far away as several hundred miles.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by speakers
Why does it drive you crazy?

Because I do not enjoy listening to hip hop and people like to play it very loudly in the dorms.
The only metal people love here is either Metallica or Korn...WTF?
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I know about 15 people in total that dont mind heavy music, and about 5 that actualy listen to it as their primary musical choice.

Further more i know 2 other guitarists who play metal. Zero bass players. Zero singers. Zero drummers.

I have never once seen a local band play metal, other than watching my own high school band's old tapes >.>

It aint easy being br00talz man
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Fairly popular I think. I don't pay attention/care.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by loudog93
Not once in my time at high school have I seen anyone bring a "metal" guitar to school.

You can play metal with any guitar, lol

Anyway... that sounds very odd
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
We had some metal heads in my school (not scene/nu metal/hardcore that **** was starting to run rampant) Here in college though we do have a good number. We have about 7-8 metal shows on our radio station.
Chicago has produced bands like Lair of the Minotaur, Macabre, Born of Osiris, and Master, yet in this specific area the only metal people seem to listen to is Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, Slipknot, and other bands that I hate.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Well, Mostly around here everyone does the Screamo type music. If you go to any small show at a local venue it will be 90% screamo kids or something similar.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Arizona is famous for the crazy amounts of deathcore bands we produce

Job For a Cowboy, A Breath Before Surfacing, The Bled (not DC), and Knights of the Abyss to name a few
I like metal, but majority of people I know don't even know what the concept behind it is.

The only reason I ended up enjoying metal was because I was learning how to play guitar. Realized the technical aspects of shredding, and thought it was the most amazing thing ever.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
The core scene in Sydney is huge and they all suck . Save for the one called Switchblade who are quite decent and big around here.

As for traditional metal? I don't hear of many Sydney acts like that, it's mostly indie and genericore.

It's incredibly difficult to find other guitarists/musicians into metal around here, I'm lucky enough to have landed myself in a band that likes metal though.
Quote by XianXiuHong
The core scene in Sydney is huge and they all suck . Save for the one called Switchblade who are quite decent and big around here.

As for traditional metal? I don't hear of many Sydney acts like that, it's mostly indie and genericore.

It's incredibly difficult to find other guitarists/musicians into metal around here, I'm lucky enough to have landed myself in a band that likes metal though.

What about Burn Athena or Thy Art is Murder?
Quote by TheReverend724
What about Burn Athena or Thy Art is Murder?

Burn Athena play a fair bit around where I live, they are really talented.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
When I went to school, I knew pretty much every metalhead there. There were probably like 20 of them in the whole school.

Since I've been in Nor Cal, though, I've met maybe two people who listen to metal frequently. And they listened to boring stuff like Atreyu and Bullet for My Valentine.
Not too popular, but not fully underground or anything.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by millerdrr
What part of NC? I'm in a major city (Greensboro) and I can't find a single metal radio station. The band in my sig is local, though they are opening for some serious acts, and have toured as far away as several hundred miles.

I'm from Hillsborough but I currently live in Raleigh since I'm attending State. I have a cousin that goes to UNCG, though. I saw BTBAM once with him at Greene Street. Ever been to that venue?

As for radio stations, I don't know about that. I don't really listen to the radio.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Metal is semi-popular here. Obviously not as much as other kinds of music, but there's a pretty good scene if you know where to look.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Dude in hawaii everyone walks around wearing corpse paint and has these brutal armbands.
everywhere i go is like a metal show.
its so badass
Page 1 of 2