Current guitar: Schecter Omen 6. Reason for upgrading: pickups seem muddy, I assume they just aren't good (using Blackstar HT-5) so instead of upgrading the pickups I figure I may as well get a new guitar. The frets are also pretty uneven and the intonation sucks.

What I want:
mahogany body (not set on this, but the deeper tone should work well with the HT-5 which is a bit weak on the low end)
String through (Never played with a trem, but I'm not entirely opposed to having one)
Thinner neck than my omen (it is pretty thick)
Shape, I'm open to most shapes(superstrat, V, explorer), don't care for lp though. I play 99% sitting down, so a V may not be the best choice, I tried one at guitar center and it wasn't that awkward though.
Pickups: JB/Jazz, but open to other good pups for metal

I'm a Megadeth fan, so I play a good deal of their music, that's partially why I'm looking at mahogany and JB/Jazz.

Considering both used and new. Musicians friend has 20% off right now (some exclusions eg. Ibanez, but Jackson is included, link http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=388279&t=1598397)

Jackson:
DK2T $560 (new)
KVX10 $400 (new)
DK2 2004ish used $350-450
DXMG $425 (new)
DKMGT $544 (new)
Jackson DX10 w/ SH-1 used $400 (could offer lower)
(All of these are alder I believe, but my desire for mahogany is not a deal breaker. I don't think jackson makes a mid range mahogany hard tail?)

I guess I'm mainly looking at Jacksons, the mid range Ibanez guitars all seem to come with less than desirable pups, which I would need to spend at least $130 off the bat to switch to JB/Jazz. I've been watching craigslist for a few months, but haven't found any killer deals yet.

Edit: See post 15
Last edited by ninjab at Oct 15, 2009,
I vote DK2T
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
is anyone else getting really sick of having to recommend entry level guitars for metal? **** im sick of this. i recommend the DK2t though.
Ibanez RG321 is my rec. You'll have some cash left over for better pickups, as well.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
is anyone else getting really sick of having to recommend entry level guitars for metal? **** im sick of this. i recommend the DK2t though.

What do you expect? Most of the users here are either kids still living their parents or poor college students.
I'll pry open your sphincter and brutally **** you raw.
humbuckers. that's the end of the search for "metal" guitar. the amp is more important as far as "metal" value of your sound, unless you're thinking about looks. in that case, b.c. rich will do the trick
It's all about feel
Quote by Danno13
Ibanez RG321 is my rec. You'll have some cash left over for better pickups, as well.

I think the 321 is pretty close to a sideways move from what I have now. Sure it has a thinner neck and you can get it with a mahogany body, but I'd rather just keep what I have than get a new guitar for a small upgrade.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I figured a DK2T was a pretty good step above an entry level guitar. Am incorrect to think that it would be leaps and bounds better than what I'm using now? Should I just skip upgrading and wait 2-3years to get a 1k guitar?
Quote by ninjab
I figured a DK2T was a pretty good step above an entry level guitar. Am incorrect to think that it would be leaps and bounds better than what I'm using now? Should I just skip upgrading and wait 2-3years to get a 1k guitar?

How playable is your guitar? If you like playing/find it comfortable then it might not be worthwhile, but if a new/different feeling guitar will dramatically improve the experience of playing for yourself, then go for it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
No doubt it will be better , how much better is really a personal thing .. you may find it awesome!! and someone eles may not .. I had a DK2 and it was not anywhere near as good as my ltd mh-1000 .. maybe saving your cash is a better idea .. up to you
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I wouldn't mind so much if it was prefaced with "i used the searchbar."

I recommend a quality used instrument with a humbucker.
Quote by BobDetroit
I wouldn't mind so much if it was prefaced with "i used the searchbar."

I recommend a quality used instrument with a humbucker.

this is pretty true. the "try the searchbar" thing is really annoying in threads, but for this one thing it definitely applies. i can't believe there isn't a guitars between 300 and 700 dollars thread yet. could be one of the few stickied threads that people actually looked at.

anyway, i'd recommend looking at ibanez RGA121's. they're mahogany and awesome looking. fixed bridges though. look at old used ibanez's if you want a good tremolo. the original edge is awesome. they're all basswood, but it's a great body wood for metal.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I can recommend the Ibanez S320 with the ZR tremolo, I got it and its really good
ESP LTD MH-1000 and M1000 deluxe are both on sale for $499 at sam ash (with $100 off in store coupon ends today)
Are these guitars a level above what I was looking at? And should I jump on it, or should I still opt to wait till I have 800-900 to spend?

If I should get it, which one should I get?
MH-1000
pros: Mahogany
cons: ugly body binding, EMGs

M1000 deluxe (not really considering this one anymore)
pros: Looks better,
cons: Alder body, EMGs

H1001
pros: Neck-through, SDs
cons: ugly binding, not as cool a headstock

I'm going to stop buy later today to try them out, called and they are in-stock at my local Sam Ash.

edited
Quote by ninjab
ESP LTD MH-1000 and M1000 deluxe are both on sale for $499 at sam ash (with $100 off in store coupon ends today)
Are these guitars a level above what I was looking at? And should I jump on it, or should I still opt to wait till I have 800-900 to spend?

If I should get it, which one should I get?
MH-1000
pros: Mahogany
cons: Set-through neck, ugly body binding, EMGs

M1000 deluxe
pros: Neck-through, Looks better,
cons: Alder body, EMGs

I thought they were both set-thru (which isn't a bad thing, by the way)

I'd definitely go with the MH-1000, as it has a more substantial neck, thinner nut, mahogany body, more versatile pickup combo (81/85 as opposed to 81/81, although they're easy to switch out), and IMO looks better. But, most of those things are matters of opinion as to what's best. Look on the ESP site to find a full features list for each.

EDIT: Check out the H-1001 instead. Do it.
Last edited by I is be sexy at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by I is be sexy
I thought they were both set-thru (which isn't a bad thing, by the way)

I'd definitely go with the MH-1000, as it has a more substantial neck, thinner nut, mahogany body, more versatile pickup combo (81/85 as opposed to 81/81, although they're easy to switch out), and IMO looks better. But, most of those things are matters of opinion as to what's best. Look on the ESP site to find a full features list for each.

I guess you're right, ESP's site lists both as set-thru. Sam Ash lists the M1000 as neck-thru, guess they are wrong.

Does the binding look as gaudy in real life as it does in the pictures? It makes it look like its made for a 14 year old girl to me. But I value function or style, so if its an awesome guitar I'll overlook the tackiness.
Quote by ninjab
I guess you're right, ESP's site lists both as set-thru. Sam Ash lists the M1000 as neck-thru, guess they are wrong.

Does the binding look as gaudy in real life as it does in the pictures? It makes it look like its made for a 14 year old girl to me. But I value function or style, so if its an awesome guitar I'll overlook the tackiness.

IMO, it looks classy, though maybe a wee bit tacky. I don't actually own it, though, so I haven't seen it a whole lot. Oh, and read my edit, that thing has mahogany, seymour duncans, fixed bridge, all that jazz
I play on a Jackson WRXT Warrior. It's perfect for metal and some hard rock. It has 2 Duncan Designed Detonating Humbuckers with a Floyd Rose low-profile tremolo system. You will find the Floyd Rose a nice thing to have when playing metal. It's got the 4 pointed shape and looks really sharp in transparent red. The neck is thin and not to wide, but it's bolted on. It has a mean yet edgy, clean, and vibrant tone. You should check one out sometime.
I noticed the H-1001, definitely an option forgot to ask if they had it in stock. I don't like the headstock, but I do like the string-thru and SD pickups, although I'm warming up to having a floyd since I don't change tunings it shouldn't be an issue. How does the Seymour Duncan Custom-5 (B) compare to say a JB?
You could try to find a used Jackson SLSMG it's string thru though.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by ninjab
I noticed the H-1001, definitely an option forgot to ask if they had it in stock. I don't like the headstock, but I do like the string-thru and SD pickups, although I'm warming up to having a floyd since I don't change tunings it shouldn't be an issue. How does the Seymour Duncan Custom-5 (B) compare to say a JB?

I haven't actually used the Custom-5, so I can't comment on that. I have an edge III-equipped guitar, and I just want to warn you that there are other drawbacks of a floating trem than just not being able to change tunings. For example, even a moderate palm mute will make the note go slightly sharp, you don't need to be heavy-handed to run into that problem. Also, bending one string makes all the others go flat, which can sound pretty ugly. Oh yeah and it takes me about 2 hours to change strings, but that might just be me