I'm in a Grunge/Alternate/Punk band which means my band uses alot of FUZZ... The rhythm guitarists plays through a 'Little Big Muff' which creates some awesome thickness to the music.
However i need a bass distortion that will break through that fuzz rather than just adding to it.
I recently watched a sydney band named Talons where the bass player had just the right pedal, and old ibanez one that doesn't get produced anymore, which lead me to believe the Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed would do it for me, but i'm still a little unsure.
I play through an Ibanez ATK300 bass and a 100 watt fender rumble, which basically means that my rig can achieve a massive range of tones, although, i prefer a high bass and mid setting with humbuckers on.
Does anyone have any sort of recomendations for a strong, punchy distortion that doesnt cut out the low end?

Cheers
a muff circuit is a fuzzy sound- yeah, you want a distortion. I like the Phat Hed. not enough to buy it myself, being a fuzz guy, but Tone Lok pedals are great. go for it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
a muff circuit is a fuzzy sound- yeah, you want a distortion. I like the Phat Hed. not enough to buy it myself, being a fuzz guy, but Tone Lok pedals are great. go for it.

+1

I love mine. It keeps the low end very tight.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 13, 2009,
I've found that a lot of bass distortion pedals just don't sound good. They tend to be buzzy or crunchy, in an effort to imitate the sound of an overdriven Ampeg SVT. A lot of them do little more than make your speakers sound like they are going to fart and die, and this includes some expensive models.

If you really want to distort your bass, why not try a guitar distortion pedal? I've used a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal on bass with great results. Use it sparingly, though. Try a bunch of them; bass and guitar pedals, and see what you like.
^They cut the bass way too much...

The PD-7 isn't buzzy, though. A bit synth-y on the distortion setting, maybe, but not buzzy.
Very Muse-like.
Nope, no sig here.
Yeah i've tried bass through alot of guitar pedals and i think they cut the low end too much for what i play.
Oh cool, yeah thanks for that, I'm also tossing up with the Boss ODB-3, listened to it over youtube but its kinda hard to get a feel for a pedal through computer speakers...
Yeah, the ODB-3, in spite of it's name, is actually a fuzz. If you play with a pick and a lot of treble coming into the input, it can get a sort of cleanish clanky sound with a dirty coating, but if you're wanting lots of mids and bass, it'll just sound like a thick fuzz.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
If you must have a dedicated bass overdrive pedal, take a look at the MXR Blowtorch. It seems to be well received. It isn't cheap, though. I've had the MXR bass D.I. + for years. It makes a great tone shaper, a-la Tech 21 SansAmp pedal, but I don't care for the distortion it offers. The Blowtorch seems a bit more versatile.
When I think of 'punching through the fuzz' I think of a clean sound, rather than a fuzz/distortion. Maybe a touch of overdrive, but otherwise I think it's too easy to get lost in the mix.

That's just me though. If I were you I'd probably get an ODB-3 or another pedal with a blend knob so you don't lose the clean signal completely.

stratkat
I have the Boss OBD, and I have to crank the level it to make the low-end stay someone in the mix with any real distortion, but still can't completely get it to not knock out some low-end without making it too loud....maybe there's a better pedal for me, just haven't tried any others.
Warwick Corvette $$ 4-string
Ibanez GSR200
SWR Goliath II 4x10
Eden 115XL
Carvin B1500 head
hey guys, thanks for all of your advice, i ended up going with the ibanez phat-hed and i'm really happy with it, pretty much what i wanted. havent practiced it with my band yet, but i have high expectations...
Boost mids and use a pedal?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
Boost mids and use a pedal?

It can get very muddy, especially if you're using a guitar distortion pedal. For distortion on bass, I've found bi-amping works best. One clean signal and one distorted signal.
Baaaaaaazz
Russian Big Muff Pi - I got mine for about 45 bucks on eBay and I love it. It maintains low end and it can go from slightly dirty to a really over-driven sound. Also it is affected by the volume of your bass not just the settings on the pedal itself and your amp. Try that and go for it.
Quote by EuBoat
When I think of 'punching through the fuzz' I think of a clean sound, rather than a fuzz/distortion. Maybe a touch of overdrive, but otherwise I think it's too easy to get lost in the mix.

+1

Best way to be heard in a sea of fuzz is with a clean tone.
he has a pedal already guys.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I use a proco rat and I've found it to be extremely versatile. The filter knob is essential to dialing gainy high end or synthy midrange. I've never found another distortion that I can capture a lot of different distorted sounds really well on both guitar and bass.