Hey all,

A while ago, I had Guitar Center block my tremolo on my Fender MIA Strat. It looks like there was extra springs put in as there are 5 there. There is no block. I have not seen a straight answer on this so I wanted some opinions -- can I just remove the 2nd and 4th spring? Would I do any potential damage to the guitar? Anything else I need to do afterwards?

Also, do I need to take off my strings first?

Thanks much!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
detune and remove the springs than tune back to your prefered tuning. Make sure the trem sits properly if it doesnt detune and adjust springs till it does and you have a tension you like
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Do you think I need to adjust the claws or anything like that? I just want to miminize damage to the guitar.
Ok, done done and done! Question though -- I seem to be in tune, everything is fine, BUT the bridge is still resting primarily against the body, any adjustments I need to make?
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Ok, done done and done! Question though -- I seem to be in tune, everything is fine, BUT the bridge is still resting primarily against the body, any adjustments I need to make?

loosen the springs more and keep tuning till the bridge is level.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
The bridge is level, but its still touching the body, its not floating like it was before -- is this an issue?
Well, do you want it floating?

That is totally up to your personal preferences. It's not going to hurt the guitar.
Thats what I wanted to know! What would having it float allow me to do, anything in particular?
Back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, blocking a Strat tremolo involved sticking a wooden clothespin behind the tremolo block. Crazy, yes. But it worked.

The way it is done these days is (usually) to put all five springs into the spaces and then tighten the screws on the termolo spring claw until the bridge plate sits flat against the body. That way, it doesn't move. You can leave all of the springs in if you like, but in order to restore the tremolo so that you can use it, you will have to loosen those two springs until the back of the bridge raises about 1/16 of an inch or so off of the body of the guitar.

Come to think of it, the clothespin was a lot easier. Good luck. It's not hard.
Wait, so you got it blocked, but it wasn't blocked?

Just stick a block of wood in between the sustain block and the body (on both sides, if you want) , and then you can remove all the springs.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Thats what I wanted to know! What would having it float allow me to do, anything in particular?

First of all, it will change the sound of the guitar just a bit. With the bridge clamped down firmly against the body, you can usually expect a bit of a meatier sound.

(Some say it loses the "strat" sound when doing that, I don't know about that, but I do think it sounds different)

With it floating, you'll be able to pull up on the bar to raise the pitch just a bit, the bar will feel a lot smoother during operation and won't clack against the body when you release it. But tuning won't be as stable, and you won't be able to detune without throwing things off.

FWIW, I keep my strat clamped down. If I want to do some whammy acrobatics, I prefer a guitar with a double locking trem.
Good to know -- I appreciate it. At this time all I have is the strat and no other electric, so I want a little more versatility (at the expense of staying in tune I suppose)

For the record, there was NO block, just the 5 springs. I took out 2 and 4 and am thinking about angling the 1 and 5th I hear it helps you stay in tune better. I did no adjustments to the trem claw, but all seems to be fine!
Having a floating trem allows you to pull back on your tremlo, which in my case, allows me to do squeelys with my guitar somewhat. I just run two springs, when I'm in drop B I have them both on the outside, and when I'm in standard, I have them centered on the claw and going out to the outside of the trem block.