I'm gonna be over in Berlin for New Years (I'm from New Zealand), and I've been searching everywhere and I just cant find a website that a) tells me what gigs are on and b) one that isn't entirely in German.

Also would appreciate advice on where to go to party the year in, what I can expect from the crazy German crowds and pill prices too please.

Would be happy to exchange advice on what NZ is like for New Years as a veteran of a few festivals myself.

Chur Bro
Yeah, XTC etc? Where to get it? What to ask? Who to ask? you know man...

But thanks Crossover- looked up the events but they are all in German. Which one is likely to be the biggest or best for Rock or DnB etc ...
innertom = lol

Come on man, I'm not ****ing 12 and need the bull**** "don't do drugs" lecture.

Just looking to have a good time in Berlin that's all.
im just sayin cos your in another country you should be a bit more carefull with thats sort of ****.
mabye find some locals to help you when your there
Haha, yeah that's more like it innertom. No **** I will be careful but it is pretty widespread over there and I'm not an idiot when it comes to these things.
Ich bin ein Berliner!

Not really, but that stuff is good!
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
iv heard germans have some nice pros,
check that **** out
can you speak german?
try

www.kartenhaus.de

it's run by ticketmaster so you should be good.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
You should learn german while you're at it, it's a pretty cool language and doesn't afraid of anything.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Cheers for the help guise.

Sprakken de Deutch (?)

I guess learning some would be a good idea but don't a good part of the population have a good understanding of English? Surely a bit of German, English and hand signs should get me around?
Quote by tooliscool

Sprakken de Deutch (?)

I guess learning some would be a good idea but don't a good part of the population have a good understanding of English? Surely a bit of German, English and hand signs should get me around?

Cash helps too.
Quote by Kensai
You should learn german while you're at it, it's a pretty cool language and doesn't afraid of anything.

Except the British >_>
Quote by Sheepdragon
Ich bin ein Berliner!

Not really, but that stuff is good!

never say that to a Berliner, they call them Pfannkuchen there
Also, they say to what us West-Germans call PfannKuchen, Eierkuchen.

I lived in Berlin for a year, and was there for New Years. tbh, I stayed at my gf's apartment instead of going out. Germans usually tend to party at home instead of going out (at least me and my friends always did). If you want a big even, go to the Brandenburger Tor, but, like most events, it's PACKED, and not that spectacular, at least for younger people. Mostly families and old people go there.

the K17 is an excellent metal/dark music club, it's down the street where I used to live (train/subway station "Frankfurter Allee". Also, there's a club called the Knaaack (in Mitte/Prenzlauer Berg), which I also often went to. hmm... and I believe those were pretty much the biggest discotheques I went to

hang on, let me check for any bands playing anywhere.

Quote by tooliscool

Sprakken de Deutch (?)

yup, Germans understand english really well. AND STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE DISTRICTS MARZAHN AND NEUKÖLLN AT NIGHT!!

I cannot stress this enough, stay the fuck out of neukölln and marzahn at night, and even avoid during the day.

Also, check out the planetarium in Prenzlauer Berg while you're there, it kicks ass.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 13, 2009,
I can't help with the Germany thing, but I'll be in Auckland, NZ for NYE
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by polyamorousXX
and you will see a restaurant selling "Döner" ran by Turkish people every few inches.

this as well
Dirk Gently - Auckland downtown will be the only real place going off at New Years, also the suburb Parnell which has a few nicer clubs.

But if you really want a good time, it would be better to head out of Auckland.

Gisbourne has the Rythym and Vines festival that lasts a few days up until new years eve. You can camp there and tons of 17 - 22 year olds go so easy to get drugs if you want. Tends to be a mixture of Rock, Drum n Bass, and New Zealand Roots/Dub/Reggae which is actually really good. Check out bands like Black Seeds and Kora.

At the top of the south island 1 hour from Nelson there is the Phat festival, camping space is there like Rythym and Vines, but tends to be more about Drum n Bass and Dubstep. Really good festival if you're into it, lots of drugs as well. It is a bit more remote and you will get more of a 'Kiwi' vibe.

The pick of them though has to be "Coro Gold" festival. A couple of hours out of Auckland in the Coromandel region. You can camp there too, and there are lots of small beaches, bays with campsites, really idyllic. Also has the Best Bands playing there, Black Seeds, Kora, Tiki, Shapeshifter etc... I think tickets may be sold out but check out www.trademe.co.nz (NZ ebay) for tickets. If you can't get a campsite there then look to other camp sites in the region, esp. Whitianga.

Hope that helps
^ Thanks for the info. Problem is, we're going to be getting to Auckland at about 3 PM on NYE, so we don't have a lot of time to go anywhere else. I would've liked to gone earlier, but we have a bunch of time constraints due to people's jobs, school schedules, etc.

Also, most of the guys in my group are around 30, so hanging out and getting drugs from the 17 year olds might be a bit weird

On the 2nd, we'll be in Christchurch.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by polyamorousXX
and you will see a restaurant selling "Döner" ran by Turkish people every few inches.

Ich liebe Doener.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Well Dirk Gently, I'm sure there will be enough things for a bunch of 30 year old to do, I guess going to town in Auckland, either Downtown, Parnell or the Viaduct is the way to go. Don't know too much about Christchurch, but there is a street called the strip I think which has tons of bars. Do a bit of checking around and see if there are any cricket games on in the cities when you are there. They are good fun for the spectators with good crowds and a chance for you to see the purer form of the game that baseball ripped off.
Why go there for new year? Come to Edinburgh son, thats the best place anywhere (except NYC) for new years.

If it was up to that douchebag from Berlin Adolf something or other, we would all be speaking bloody German.
Edinburgh is too far my friend, besides, been there before anyway and I can only fit one raincoat in my bags.