Im interested in the Vox AC 15 cc1. Yesterday i noticed the Vox Nighttrain which is supposed to have more gain. That would be nice for me but Im wondering if the Nighttrain has still as good vintage tones as the AC 15 or is it a completely different amp?
It's a very different amp. I'd say more marshally, it doesn't have the same vintage tones as the AC15. The cleans are better on the AC15, the NT has more gain available.
Quote by Roc8995
It's a very different amp. I'd say more marshally, it doesn't have the same vintage tones as the AC15. The cleans are better on the AC15, the NT has more gain available.

Well, UGers always told me "the gain is not important because you can boost it anyway, the tone is important", knowing this the AC 15 sounds a bit nicer to me... I will definitely try both of them out.
The Night Train still has good vintage tones, but not the same as those of the AC15.
I love my Night Train - I tried a AC15 and the NT was loads better.

Just much more versitile. You will sacrifice a little bit of Vox clean but only a small amount. But you get so much more though.

And yes, it has really nice chimey cleans.

It does have more gain but it's not just stupid gain for gains sake...none of that thin, ear splitting fizz either.

It's warm or bright depending on the mode (pentode 15 watts or triode 7.5 watts) and the 'channel' (thick/bright).

Old school rock could be: bright on triode with the gain half way up on humbuckers or SCoils at about 2-3pm (dial).

Chimey with a little breakup - 11am on pentode.

Warm distorted blues thick/triode and 12am

Old school rock thick/pentode from 10am upwards

Hard rock from about 2pm thick/pentode.

And a host of other cool in between settings.

Loads of headroom for a small amp.

I love mine. I listed to alot of clips and tried out some cool amps but I am really happy with the NT.

Saying that a M13 does help as it doesn't have reverb but even by itself it rocks.

Edit: the dial amounts are for the gain dial - once the master vol gets over about 10.30am the amp really opens up (though this could be my 212 cab though)
Last edited by Axe-Man at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by PapaSchumpf
Well, UGers always told me "the gain is not important because you can boost it anyway, the tone is important", knowing this the AC 15 sounds a bit nicer to me... I will definitely try both of them out.

If your amp's a low gain amp, yes you can OD it but there's a limit to the OD you can squeeze in before the amp starts getting noisy.

If you want high gain, get a moderate to high gain amp. If you want low gain, get a low gain amp.

No amount of boost or OD will get a Blackheart Little Giant sounding like a Mesa Triple Rectifier.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Colin hit it right one the head, the NT is more Marshall-like and modern sounding, I would not call the AC15 an aggressive amp, but the NT has a rather aggressive tone. It's like a smaller version of the higher wattage Vox CC amps.
Thanks, I tried the Night Train out and really like it, the cleans, the overdrive...everything was great! but i wonder if theres a way to make the thick/bright modes footswitchable
Quote by PapaSchumpf
Thanks, I tried the Night Train out and really like it, the cleans, the overdrive...everything was great! but i wonder if theres a way to make the thick/bright modes footswitchable

Apparently not...well without alot of $$$$ (read a review by a an amp modder who had worked on the NT - it's really cramped inside and the switch is tricky apparently)

I will dial in my sounds depending on what I do...but if I need channel switching when using it I'll just my M13.

Pedals would be a pretty reasonable alternative when using the bright/pentode mode and from experience with the M13 it still sounded really dynamic and great.