So for Xmas i want a new guitar but i dont know much about buying one.

i only have one guitar atm and its a sh**y starter pack one and ive been playing almost a year now so i think its time to upgrade abit.

xmas budget is around £300.....£350MAX

I play mostly stuff like bonjovi, breaking bejamin, three days grace....not shredding of anything.

I want this guitar to last reasonably long as im not a guitar maniac its more of a hobby for me rather than a lifestyle lol

Oh and im not in a position to go to a guitar shop becuase the nearest one is like 30 miles away and i dont drive. so will be buying online....but since i have no idea what makes a "good guitar" i wouldnt know if its good or not by looking at it in a shop.

ive been looking at a few ibanez but they all just seem they same to me really so i need some help guys

cheers
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
The problem about you not being able to trey them is that you might not like how they feel to you. If you can find a used S520EX i reccomend that, I love mine to deth.
tbh with you ill get used to how it feels so i want the best guitar for the money really

stop tail or two point or double locking bridge.

what bodyshape do you prefer rg, s , sv ,szr, sa,art etc....

and least importantly what colour/finish and solid colour or grained.

it`s worth dragging your parents/guardian with you to a shop just so you can play as many as you can...make it a day out.

where in the uk are you in terms of county i might be to reccommend some of the bigger ibby retailers who have more selection for you to try. £350 is limiting though as it`s going to be bottom of the intermediate range.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 13, 2009,
Well, 1 thing first.
Go to an shop anyway. And stay there for a while. Why?
Well you need to know how a guitar feels and how it plays. You really need to try that before you really can choose.
And ask one of your parents, or go by buss or train. It really helps.

And my tips are, buy a guitar with no tremelo (stupid things detune, and are worse when you put on thicker strings), if you can find something with a neck thats not bolted (it also stays nice in tune), and something that you like xD.

But you need to try guitar before you really can make a decision.

Thats all I can say.
GAK have a pretty infinite stock of ibanez guitars. What is your amp?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Go used, and get a Mexican Tele.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Tias
Well, 1 thing first.
Go to an shop anyway. And stay there for a while. Why?
Well you need to know how a guitar feels and how it plays. You really need to try that before you really can choose.
And ask one of your parents, or go by buss or train. It really helps.

And my tips are, buy a guitar with no tremelo (stupid things detune, and are worse when you put on thicker strings), if you can find something with a neck thats not bolted (it also stays nice in tune), and something that you like xD.

But you need to try guitar before you really can make a decision.

Thats all I can say.

Not to sound like a bit weird here, but if you get a decent LFR or a vintage style Strat trem, it isn't going to be that bad. Fair enough, Edge IIIs aren't that good, but I wouldn't rule out every guitar with a tremolo. Second of all, thicker strings work better with trems than thinner ones; Leo Fender made the Strat trem essentially perfect for 12 guage strings, so that it wouldn't go out of tune easy. Third of all, how in the name of Jesus does a bolt on affect the tuning?

Other than that, I agree with what you say
Cam Sampbell's my hero
ok then abit more info

its only for bedroom use and doing covers of songs. i prefer strat shapes but others arent out of the question...would like a trem bar just becuase i like them but again not conpulsary.

Got a roland cube 15x at the moment and wont be getting a new one anytime soon...

at the end of the day i know im not gunna get a awesome guitar but just something better than my starter pack one that plays and looks "ok" is good enough for me.

and ill try and go guitar shop but i just feel stupid becuase A) i suck at playing and B) ive tried my friends guitar which are pretty good ones but tbh they all feel the same to me

can you please just like list a few guitars that tick all my boxs so i can take a look at them please

From the sound of it, I think the most sensible option for you would be a Fender HSS Strat, or possibly the version with a Floyd Rose bridge if that would be more up your street. One of the standard-level MIM Fender HSS Strats anyway. Given your budget, what you're playing though and how you're playing, a normal HSS Fender sounds like the best bet to me for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by a7x dan
ok then abit more info

its only for bedroom use and doing covers of songs. i prefer strat shapes but others arent out of the question...would like a trem bar just becuase i like them but again not conpulsary.

Got a roland cube 15x at the moment and wont be getting a new one anytime soon...

at the end of the day i know im not gunna get a awesome guitar but just something better than my starter pack one that plays and looks "ok" is good enough for me.

and ill try and go guitar shop but i just feel stupid becuase A) i suck at playing and B) ive tried my friends guitar which are pretty good ones but tbh they all feel the same to me

can you please just like list a few guitars that tick all my boxs so i can take a look at them please

you`re buying a guitar not auditioning, no-one cares what you play or how you play when trying out guitars.
Yeah, do the shop thing and then buy one from this guy. www.tcellisguitars.com 'cos he really knows how to make a guitar and whatever you choose, it will last a lifetime and be a constant joy. Can you say that of a production line Ibby?
Mate of mine just got a Mantis Hollow with Seymour Duncans for £320 and that baby wails.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

3pc Wizard II neck Very nice if you like ultra slim necks. Watch out for straightness and fret buzz which the shop should correct but may charge you 50 quid or so for a setup.

� Basswood body - Not bad but Mahogany has fuller tone response.

� Jumbo frets - Okay - every guitar has them these days.

� Edge III bridge - Possible problem item. Has poor reputation for long life.

� Ibanez original V7 & V8 pickups on the RG420EG. Ibby stock pickups are not great and you'll be upgrading before long.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

thanks thats exactly the responce i want.....cant you recommend something better then??

Quote by a7x dan
thanks thats exactly the responce i want.....cant you recommend something better then??

Do you like thick or thin necks?
What is your gear?
Do you prefer some bodies over others?
Would you buy used?

You have to fill these in for us
Quote by darkcheef
Do you like thick or thin necks?
What is your gear?
Do you prefer some bodies over others?
Would you buy used?

You have to fill these in for us

I have no idea but i guess thin would be better as i have fairly small hands

i have a roland cube 15 and a zoom G2 pedal

i prefer strat or whatever shape most ibanezs are (superstrat i think)

id rather not buy used to be honest

Ibanez RG321MH. Personally I don't like the look of it, but maybe get some covers for the pickups and it's a great guitar. No crappy trem, pickups are nothing special but will do the job, mahogany body.

Ibanez RGR321EX - Also a good guitar, basswood body, EMG designed pickups (once again not great but not too bad) no crappy trem. And looks pretty cool with the binding and all.

I also second the comment about the HSS strat. Can't get much better than a Fender for that price.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by Lurcher
3pc Wizard II neck Very nice if you like ultra slim necks. Watch out for straightness and fret buzz which the shop should correct but may charge you 50 quid or so for a setup.

� Basswood body - Not bad but Mahogany has fuller tone response.

� Jumbo frets - Okay - every guitar has them these days.

� Edge III bridge - Possible problem item. Has poor reputation for long life.

� Ibanez original V7 & V8 pickups on the RG420EG. Ibby stock pickups are not great and you'll be upgrading before long.

given his price range and the fact that the rrp on a rg 420 is 100 quid more i think it`s a great guitar for the price, definatlty better than a 320/350/370. the edge 3 trems i`ve seen last at lot longer than some lfr and 5 years plus is easily manageable with proper maintenance.

there is another alternative IF you can find one but it will be 2nd hand and you`ll be stretching to £350 minimum a rg550.
you could try the better squier like the classic vibe
btw dont be scared of going to a guitar shop and playing...remember that they get beginners every day...no ones cares how you play