heyy i was just wondering how many people use the 3 finger bass technique?? I am starting to get used to it, but i still find myself using 2 fingers way more often, should i just stop using 2 fingers and just use 3 all the time?? thanks
No less an authority than Billy Sheehan recommends that you try three or even four fingers, and if it works, great. If it doesn't work, then go back to using two. Good advice.

If you become adept at using three or four fingers to pluck the strings, you will certainly be able to play sixteenth-note runs a lot faster. However, some of the best and fastest players in the world use only two fingers.

Good luck.
oh thanks, i think i will use 3, it will be worth it in the long run...
I'm a galloper, but I'll also use my ring finger to add an accent, either for ghost notes, or as a 'pre-strike' before my powerhouse main fingers kick in. For driving basslines, a gallopy fill (think Iron Maiden or some of Mic Todd's faster basslines) is always fun to play, and because I find the gallopy stuff so easy to do with three fingers, it fits in perfectly there.

I'm not as practiced with it as I'd like to be, and I'm not profficient enough in using three fingers for semi-quaver stuff yet, but I'm working it into my band's songs so I'll be there eventually.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I usually use 3 (have to work on it so it doesnt sound choppy) but once you have it down its nice being able to get a nice rythm down im trying 4 next but my pinky is a little slow
SlappyMcGee don't you fail.
Quote by Music18
heyy i was just wondering how many people use the 3 finger bass technique?? I am starting to get used to it, but i still find myself using 2 fingers way more often, should i just stop using 2 fingers and just use 3 all the time?? thanks

Nah, I find it much easier to play fluent basslines with two fingers, 3 finger plucking is only my Iron-Maiden-Cover technique.

Whatever floats your boat really.
Quote by Spaz91
Nah, I find it much easier to play fluent basslines with two fingers, 3 finger plucking is only my Iron-Maiden-Cover technique.

Whatever floats your boat really.

Oh crap does Steve use 3 fingers? Ive been using 2 fingers cuz I thought he did when he uses galloping?
Quote by Spaz91
He uses two fingers, us mere mortals need three usually.

Im using 2, but its really hard to keep up, I still need practice! Sounds better imo.
I use 3 pretty much exclusively. Once you get it down, it is well worth the added speed and endurance (each finger does less work individually). I still need to get it truly natural, as I sometimes need to work out or practice keeping the motion up if there is awkward string skipping at very high tempos.

Still, it will take weeks to get it close to proficient, but you will soon see how it can be beneficial.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So far I only use 2, because I haven't found a need to use any more than that. I can gallop with two fingers, and I can play faster than I need to.
When i first started and played for like a year and a half i used 3.But then thought it was odd and started only playing with 2.I tried playing with 3 now and cant do very good
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
i use 3 sometimes when i want to but normally i go with the classic 2 finger technique.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I typically use 2 for most of my playing, but 3 for galloping. There are a good deal of metal songs where you need to be able to gallop
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Zooku
Oh crap does Steve use 3 fingers? Ive been using 2 fingers cuz I thought he did when he uses galloping?

Why does it matter what he uses when plays? Play however you're comfortable, not however Steve is comfortable.
Quote by Zooku

Its whatever you are comfortable with. I manage with two and find it easier than three.
Quote by Music18
Lots. Billy Sheehan, John Myung, Alex Webster, etc. John Myung also uses 4 fingers sometimes.

And yes, Steve Harris played with ONLY two fingers.
I use three, and find it a lot more practical, as well as comfortable. It's taking pretty long to get it down though.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
It's really more of a preference. I use three because I play 16th notes a lot, but it also works well for lesser speeds. The only downside is keeping the movement consistent, like if you played an 8 note run you would have to get used to which finger hit every 4th note, and the new pattern after that (really only applies when you're skipping strings and what not, but it can still be a little difficult at first)
I use two when I can get away with it because it sounds most consistent (Haven't perfected three or four yet, but getting close)
I use three to gallop, and four for straight sixteenths.
i use three when i play 16th notes and galloping rhythms, or when i play any odd set of notes that requires me to use three fingers. its worth it.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I used three fingers for everything for about six months, but I decided that if my favorite bassist, Dan Briggs, can do what he does with two fingers, that I could, too. My three finger technique was never that great, and I only use three fingers now to do triplet rhythms or when I get extremely tired.
I've tried switching over to three fingers after playing for a year to see if it helped with speed, but I've gotten so used to two over time that that's the only way I can play.
It is definitely tricky to get into a habit of using three fingers to smoothly play groups of four notes instead of just trying to pass by with some galloping but it's worth it to me for the available speed and endurance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj5luoLV2J8

Many people have undoubtedly seen this vid, but it really does help. Even the breaking up of the three styles is likely to do some good. As an example when i saw this i couldn't play with just my index and ring fingers very well at all but by now there's got to be some finger independence stuff going on instead of just relying on a rolling pattern. Reminds me of what this guys trying to get people to work on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ).

Anyway, if you work on playing scales with a metronome, or drum machine or whatever you've got that you can use, with three fingers with 16th notes and at slower speeds remembering your best to keep with 3213 2132 1321 and repeat or 1231 2312 3123 and repeat (depending on the direction you've chosen also assuming your doing it like that instead of 32123 ... guess the accuracy thing would count there still though) after some time you'll be able to pick up tempo slowly while keeping the steady pattern. Of course, if you do count to yourself which finger is plucking the string you'll end up getting to a point where that will simply be too taxing on your concentration to keep it up. So it'll have to stop but the point is by the time your that comfortable with it you will no longer need to keep it up.

Anyway, it is different and it does take some time to develop, might be a good thing to cover though.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I personally alternate. I play hard... really, really hard, as in the pickups to all my basses have string engravings in em. So when I'm using 3 fingers and my hand needs a break, I alternate playing with my middle and index or my ring and index to regain endurance.
I can usually only play with 2. I can't seem to play as fast with 3 for some reason. It feels awkward and I do this weird 1,3,2 finger pattern for some reason. I've seemed to manage some Rush and Iron Maiden songs with 2 fingers so far, so I guess I can't really complain.

Fuck that - I want a bass amp that can suck dick! Where do you find such a thing