Page 1 of 3
Hey guys, I'm writing an essay on Metal for college and I would really appreciate it if anyone here took the time to answer a couple questions for me so that I can use some answers as part of my research! I'm basically just trying to get an idea of what sort of people listen to Metal, and why they do. Thanks

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?:

Who are your favourite metal artists?:

Why do you listen to metal?:

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?:

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?):

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?:

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?:
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Thrash, Heavy, Death, Prog, Melodic

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Metallica, Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, Slayer, Black Sabbath

Why do you listen to metal?: Im not sure, I just like it

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Not really

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?):-

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?:No, but I don't endorse it

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: No
DO IT LIVE
Quote by irongoat666
Hey guys, I'm writing an essay on Metal for college and I would really appreciate it if anyone here took the time to answer a couple questions for me so that I can use some answers as part of my research! I'm basically just trying to get an idea of what sort of people listen to Metal, and why they do. Thanks

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: traditional, doom, thrash, death, prog, black, stoner, sludge, melodic death, folk, bizarre combinations of the above types, jazz fusion metal

Who are your favourite metal artists?: sabbath, megadeth, death, judas priest, iron maiden

Why do you listen to metal?: FEELS GOOD MAN

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: not in a very extreme way..

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): depends...angry, happy,sad,mellow,funny,horny,warm, fuzzy etc...or combinations of the mentioned emotions...

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: nah, its quite fun

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: an artists image only affects preconcieved notions on that artist, but doesnt stop me from discovering their true musical potential fully.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Last edited by vanshaya at Oct 13, 2009,

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: melodic death metal and some power metal

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Children of bodom, Kalmah, Ensiferum

Why do you listen to metal?: When learning how to play guitar i lost respect for most classic rock bands due to their lack of technical playing. And i started listening to metal purely for that reason but after a while it really just clicked with me.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: It used to until i decided it wasnt going to anymore.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Now it will only make me very excited and happy

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Yes

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: It used to but i grew out of that really quickly
__
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: traditional metal, prog metal, some deathmetal, all metal really

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Devin Townsend, Strapping Yound Lad, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater

Why do you listen to metal?: why not? It's amazing. gets me pumped.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: My mood can changed slightly sometimes, but for an example, I might be listening to some fast angery song and then after that listen to some happy slow music and be happy. The mood always ends by the end of the song.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Angery songs make feel more pumped, mellow parts make me feel relaxed.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: I could care less. Musicians do what they want with their own music. I enjoy some satanic metal abnds but i also listen to Christian metal. It's all still good music to me.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: It can slightly, but I know it's the music that counts.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Megadeth, Anthrax, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and ofcourse Iron Maiden

Why do you listen to metal?: It sounds good. Its better than the crap we have on radios today...

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: not really

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: yes...it completely wrong. I liek Iommi's quote when people called Black Sabbath the 'devil's band'...He said, "How am I a satanist? I wear a cross in every gig." People that think Metal promotes devil worship are just plain retarded....

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them? no... as long as they sound good, I could care less what they look like
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?

male

student

heavy, thrash, metalcore, black, groove, progressive, glam

Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Machine Head, Lamb of God, Bullet for My Valentine, Testament, God Forbid

I listen to it because I enjoy listening to it (duh) and hearing the technical and musical abilities of the musicians (drums and guitar in particular).

Metal definitely influences my mood: normally when I feel really depressed or angry, I can listen to some LoG or "Aesthetics of Hate" and I start screaming along and cheer up. I don't get angry or mellow listening to it, but rather happy and pumped-up, inspired to write my own stuff.

I have an extreme indifference to satanic imagery in metal. Although, it is kind of annoying that those who don't listen to metal perceive those that do as screamo devil-worshipers.

Artists' images don't effect me at all. I'll listen to them if I like their music (e.g. the Napster thing didn't stop me from listening to Metallica, I'll still listen to Slipknot if they ever stop wearing masks, and I'll still like "Love Game" even if Lady Gaga really does have a penis)

Hope that helps
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Power, Prog, Folk, Death, Thrash, Heavy, Symphonic, (Pretty much everything except for black, but even then theres a couple)

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Opeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Nevermore, Savatage, Tyr, Devin Townsend, Ayreon, Angra, Baroness, Mastodon, GWAR, Theocracy, To-Mera, so may more

Why do you listen to metal?: Because it's pleasing to my ears

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Yes

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Depends

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Honestly couldn't care less, since I'm atheist.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: I may initiaally be deterrred by an artists image, for example an band that looks typically emo, but if their music appealed to me the image would not be a problem.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: death, melodic, cross-genre

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Cannibal Corpse, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist, Embalmer....................

Why do you listen to metal?: Its different. Its not (well some is...but most isnt) made for money...its made because te musicians love what they do

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Yes and no. Like, it wont make me go out and kill someone, but if im pissed off or something, ill throw on some CC and vent

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): ^

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Eh, it is what it is. I really dont pay attention to lyrical values.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Not really. I mean the dudes from Cannibal Corpse all look like stereotypical metal heads but the guys from August Burns Red (they have a sick live show) all dress in Hollister. So no not really.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?:Post Hardcore, Progressive Metal, Heavy Metal

Who are your favourite metal artists?:Protest the Hero, BTBAM, ADTR, Silverstein, Chiodos, Escape the fate, All that remains, The human Abstract, The devil wears prada

Why do you listen to metal?: Like the sound of both clean and unclean vocals, like complex instrument pieces, i play guitar and i listen to it to try and play like it

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: yes

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): it can do both, i can get jacked up for say sports or a party, or if its melodic metal i can just lean back and chill to it

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?:no but i dont listen to stuff that has lots of that stuff

A little bit to none , it more affects if i would go to see them live
Last edited by PirateXc at Oct 13, 2009,

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: All types but mainly black and doom

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Burzum

Why do you listen to metal?: Because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Nope. I listen to music that fits my mood, not the other way about.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: No

Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Post, Alternative, Sludge, Southern, Progressive

Who are your favourite metal artists?: ISIS, The Faceless (br00talz anomaly), Mastodon, Weedeater, Battle of Mice, Eyehategod, Down, Meshuggah, Gojira, System of a Down

Why do you listen to metal?: I like pushing my mental limits with extreme sounds

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Yes totally.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Stuff like Meshuggah, Weedeater, Faceless and Gojira gets me really pumped up before playing hockey and stuff, but usually I like to listen to really downer, depressing music like Battle of Mice or ISIS actually calms me down, and even though it's a little depressing it puts me in a better mood.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: I don't have a problem with it, but I certainly think less of people that think that they have a right to burn churches and generally disrespect other peoples faith because it 'looks cool'.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them? Honestly, yes a little bit. Not so much that it outweighs the musical aspect of the band, but I'd much rather be a proud fan of artists that I feel I can relate to, rather than say, a bunch of clowns wearing makeup wearing more chains than pants. (but I respect that that is some peoples 'fantasy' or whatnot

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: I can listen to most types depending on my mood. Melodic and symphonic styles are my favourites. I can't stand Grindcore and some death/black metal bands.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Children of Bodom, Keep of Kalesinn, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Kataklysm.

More recently I've started listening to some more metalcore style bands. I.E. Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu.

Why do you listen to metal?: It sounds good. Theres good energy and still has a enough of an organic sound to sound good to me. Unlike electronic music. Theres something about the intensity and heaviness that just clicks with me.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): It depends on the mood to begin with. If I'm angry it can calm me down, if I'm stressed it will relax me. If I'm feeling lazy it will motivate me.... ect

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: I'm not a huge fan of it. If its used for an act and fits with the style of the music its ok. I do get a little annoyed when it goes over the top and the bands are actively trying to hurt religion. (Church burnings)

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Not so much the image but if they've done something I don't agree with I'm not going to give them any money.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: All, but very little power and speed

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Whole bunch

Why do you listen to metal?: Because I like it.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Yes.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Good equalizer for emotions.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Nope.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Nope.
Philosophy > Life

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Black and doom

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Drudkh, Burzum, Walknut

Why do you listen to metal?: Sounds good.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Occasionally

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Detached

I can take a road that'll see me through.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Black, Doom, Death, Post, and Trad.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Burzum, Mortifera, and Isis

Why do you listen to metal?: for the substance

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood? now and then

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?) mellow out and more relaxed

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal? no, only bands who flaunt it as a gimmick are tools

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them? most likely not
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Pretty much anything. As long as its a good song. But Mainly Folk/Viking/Pagan/anyothernamethatfallsunderthatarea. or Prog. or thrash. or black. or more proggy death metal. or power metal.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: it changes all the time, but my top artists on last.fm and a few im into at the moment are, Dream Theater, Moonsorrow, Annwn, Blind Guardian, Opeth, Kalisia, Forefather, Ensiferum, Summoning, Bathory, Atheist, Amon Amarth, Dragonforce, Windrider, Dekapitator, Wodensthrone, Cnoc An Tursa,

Why do you listen to metal?: Because i just do. i like songs that are classifed as metal, but interestingly I probably listen to more none metal recently. Only 5 of my top 20 albums of the last 3 months i would call metal. I like to think of myself of a music fan with a huge interest in metal. but the fact its called metal is irrelevant.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Its more I chose what i listen to depending on mood. so my mood influences my listening habits.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): see above. Though when i want to relax i usually put on some electronic music, like Kitaro, jean-Michel jarre or Tangerine Dream.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: yes and no. everyone has the right to, but a lot of the time they come across as very childish imo. I suppose it depends what you mean by satanic too? do you meen lyric wise? or like inverted crosses and pentagrams all over the place? Either way, i have no objection to it.
just as i have no objection to pagan imagery.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Nope. good music influences whether or not I will listen to them.

Hope this was of some use.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Black, Doom, Drone, Post/Alt./Avant-Garde, Death and Grind

Who are your favourite metal artists?: most played metal artists on my ipod are gallhammer, burning witch, darkthrone, gorgoroth and cannibal corpse

Why do you listen to metal?: 'cos i like ittt

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: no. i listen to different music and metal depending on my mood.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): see above

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: no. it just looks dead cheesey.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them? to a degree. if their music is especially good, it wont.
but there is nothing i like more than a band with good visuals.
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

Last edited by destöroyah at Oct 13, 2009,

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Mostly Thrash and Death.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Megadeth, Nevermore, Nile, TBDM, old Slayer.

Why do you listen to metal?: Because I like it.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Yeah.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): It tends to cheer me up when I feel pissed off/depressed.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: No.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: As long as the music's good, then I don't care how the band looks like.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?:Metalcore,Melodic Death,Nu Metal

Who are your favourite metal artists?:In Flames,All that remains,Linkin Park,Paradise lost iron maiden,Demon hunter,Machine Head

Why do you listen to metal?:Its fast,the lyrics are deep and have meaning they dont always talk about love like the most of the rest genders of music,everytime i listen to a song i like it travels me and gets me absorbed

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?:Yes

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?):its the best way get out all the anger i have inside but also in slower songs it makes me mellow so both depends on the song and type

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?:no

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?:not appearance but sometimes its beahaviour and actions
Quote by irongoat666

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?:Metalcore, Progressive, Technical Death

Who are your favourite metal artists?:Lamb of God, Shadowns Fall, Protest the Hero, Job for a Cowboy

Why do you listen to metal?:I started to listen to metal because I went to a concert (at the time it was more of a punk festival) and there were only a few metal acts there (As I Lay Dying, Everytime I Die, All That Remains, The Human Abstract) and those were the only bands I really liked at the festival. I liked the energy of the music.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?h yeah.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?):Usually it just makes me wanna move. Depending on what is going on in my life it can make me more aggresive, but I wouldnt say the music is making me angry.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?:Naw, not really.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?:No. If I were to do that I would never have listened to bands like August Burns Red. I am against the stereotype that you have to look a certain way to be "metal"

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Death, Thrash, Melodeth,
In Flames, Vehemence, Metallica, Megadeth

Because it sounds epic

Only slightly

It makes me feel more pumped

No

Nope
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Thrash, alternate, progressive, death, melodeath

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Megadeth, Devin Townsend, The Haunted, Hypocrisy, SYL, Soilwork

Why do you listen to metal?: It's just great. It can be fun, beautiful, manic, disturbing. There's metal for every mood. And metal seems like the most innovative of genres.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Metal can work as a channel for unexpressed emotions for me, and can in that way help me stay in a good mood, and help me get past things. Smaller and larger.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: It tends to get a bit cheesy, but a lot of metal seems to be made as a middlefinger to organized religion, ridiculous norms etc., and Satanic imagery seems to be a great way to give said finger.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Yes. I've stopped listening to several bands due to their opinions or image. When a band sues left and right because of copyright infringement, I tend to lose my respect.
A band that gives the impression that they're only making the music for money, kinda takes away the "soul" of their music. (not mentioning any names, that might get ugly )
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Various death metal offshoots (including melodic, tech, prog, death/doom) but rarely traditional death metal. A bit of thrash and power, and a lot of hybrid metal, ie, metalcore and deathcore. A little bit of progressive and doom as well. Sometimes black metal.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Insomnium, Megadeth, a few others

Why do you listen to metal?: To be honest, I just wanted music that could exemplify what I felt. I wanted something aggressive with lyrics I could relate to.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: in some instances, but not in others. Sometimes hearing a brilliant piece can make me feel pretty good. But mostly the music I listen to is just an augmentation to how I already feel.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): usually music can keep me focused while I do work.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: I'm not totally against it.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: No. Except for Metallica. Lars is one ugly git.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?:black, death and thrash metal, sometimes dark metal

Who are your favourite metal artists?:Kreator, Belphegor, Gorgoroth, Immortal, Marduk, Minas Morgul etc. etc. etc.

Why do you listen to metal?:Because metal is awesome.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?:Yup.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?):It calms me down when I'm angry and/or aggressive.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?:Nah.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?:Somewhat.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: All of it but mostly folk, black, heavy, doom, avant garde/progressive

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Opeth, Agalloch, Slough Feg, Nile, Blind Guardian, Summoning

Why do you listen to metal?: I like the way it sounds. The "heaviness" of it appeals to me in some way. I couldn't tell you why, though.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Yes, just like listening to any other kind of music can influence your mood.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Usually it just makes me feel good, but with some of the more ambient artists the music tends to put me in more of a primal or spiritual mood.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Not at all. Freedom of speech and all that. Nor does it bother me on a personal level.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Not particularly. It may influence my initial opinion, but if the music is good it doesn't matter to me.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Melodic Death, Folk, Thrash, Black Metal, Prog, Atmopheric/Ambient.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Agalloch, Sylosis, Sabbat, Opeth, Angelic Process, Tesseract.

Why do you listen to metal?: I enjoy it, for energy, atmosphere, how it cheers me up.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Occasionally, but it's not just metal, it's music in general.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Depends entirely on the situation and the music I'm listening to.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: No, I don't particularly like it, however.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them? No, but I take bands less seriously if they look very 'metal', for some reason.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: I'm open minded to metal, I'm a huge fan of any genre basically even core yes.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Death, Opeth, Mastodon, Candlemass, The Absence, Dark Tranquillity, Immortal, Desaster, Overkill, Sadus, Arch Enemy, Black Dahlia Murder, Black Sabbat etc etc etc too much to name.

Why do you listen to metal?: It makes me feel stronger emotionally, has helped me through my lfie and help me out with a lot of things. It just flows with me when it comes down to emtions, riffs are fun to play, I'm a vocalist though so singing or screaming the lyrics is a huge stress reliever.

Yup, it definitely can.
It can make me feel both ways depending on the flow of the music or soft, heavy, whatever it just depends, Death Metal makes me angrier blah blah.

Nope.

Not at all.
I drink your milkshake.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Death, melodic death, traditional, thrash,shred, Gojira

Who are your favourite metal artists?: cannibal corpse,nile, early metallica/slayer, megadeth, evile,gojira, immortal souls, black dahlia murder, decapitated, cattle decapitation, 3 inches of blood, and of course black sabbath, iron maiden and judas priest

Why do you listen to metal?: i was just drawn to its techinicality, aggresiveness, and my parents hate it

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: yes, but not a lot

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): some songs get me really pumped up, but never angry or depressed

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: yes, but i understand that it is and forever will be associated with metal.and it does have its purposes (it was great fun at church when my preacher asked me some of my favorite bands )

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them? i find that bands that drench themselves in blood and/or look like they stepped of a magazine cover are usually lame/take themselves to seriously/just really bad. i still listen to them before making a final judgement.
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Last edited by sound-byte at Oct 13, 2009,

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?:prog, death, sludge

Who are your favourite metal artists?:Mastodon, Dream Theater, Death, Opeth, Isis

Why do you listen to metal?: its instrumentally interesting, it packs more of a punch then anything else I've found.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?:yes

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?):it generally mellows me out because i just stop all that im doing and just listen.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?:its up to the artist, I'm Catholic so while I may like the sound of a band I may decide to not give them my patronage (i.e. buy thier album) due to thier views on my beliefs.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?:not to often, sometimes if they give me the impression of being very commercialy minded i might hold that against them, but if theyre good i'll still listen to them.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Heavy, Power, Speed, Doom for the most part. Thrash, Death, and Black occasionally.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Tyrant (US), Solstice, and Blind Guardian

Why do you listen to metal?: It's empowering. I find it to be the superior form of music...

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: No.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Not really. For the most part that's all it is, imagery. It won't change my religious outlook.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: I'm partial to this. I really don't want to be listening to a band that looks like a bunch of hipsters, but it doesn't matter too much.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: (minimal) Death & Black, Power, Prog, Speed, Traditional, Shred, some Thrash.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Iced Earth, Nocturnal Rites, Helloween, Iron Maiden (my big 4 )

Why do you listen to metal?: the feel of the metal i listen to almost empowers me, and the lyrics.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Depends on the Song, but usually Melancholic, Headbanging, Pumped.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Not for it, but not against it.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Bands trying too hard to be Br00t4l piss me off, and i wont usually listen to it, but otherwise, no
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Oct 13, 2009,

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Mostly Melodic Death Metal, Old School Death Metal (mostly scandinavian), a bunch of Black Metal and just a bit of Thrash; Funeral Doom

Who are your favourite metal artists?: At the Gates, Buried Dreams, Intestine Baalism, Aurora (DK), Mirrorthrone, Funeral (Nor), Cromlech (Swe), Eucharist, Dark Flood, Dissection, Dark Tranquillity, Dawn (Swe), Casketgarden, Vehemence, As Eden Burns, Underthreat, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Spawn Of Possession, Lothlorien (Swe), Forest Stream, Fatal Embrace (Swe), Holymarsh, Illnath, Cenotaph (Mex), Inferi (US), Behind The Scenery, Utumno (Swe), Demigod (Fin), Demilich, Darkthrone (Soulside Journey), Chthonic, Enthralled Haze, Slayer, Megadeth, Cradle Of Filth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Arch Enemy

... well I went overboard... that covers it though LOL though not completely...

Why do you listen to metal?: Well generally it's not "metal" in general or "all metal" or even whats mostly mentioned 'round here, its mostly what I'd like to hear expressed in music, and alot of it is perfectly delivered by my favorite bands, I love the images I get in my head and the feelings; also I love the vitality of the music itself (less you're talking about Funeral Doom, but then its just for a different reason :P)

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: not to a "mind control" sort of way, but I get positive vibes from it despite of lyrical content and therefore energetic and in a good place

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): well, just... rock out here and there, air drum like an idiot; sing/scream along, air guitar; makes me happy ? lol; vitalizes; I find it that I thrive from listening to depressing music as well; and it never makes me angry, just more energetic

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: eh don't personally care

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: not really; makes me feel iffy though when they look like hipsters; as powerslave mentioned
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Oct 13, 2009,

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Most, not a lot of nu/power.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: In Flames, Opeth, Insomnium, Cannibal Corpse

Why do you listen to metal?: There's something very powerful about it, sonically and/or emotionally.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Yeah.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Any different way, like any other music.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: No, but it'll certainly affect the way I think about them.

Quote by \Powerslave/

Why do you listen to metal?: It's empowering. I find it to be the superior form of music...

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: I'm partial to this. I really don't want to be listening to a band that looks like a bunch of hipsters, but it doesn't matter too much.

Sad face
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Oct 13, 2009,
Damn, I feel like I'm just another one in your plays.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Any but hardcore vocalists

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Famous - Mainstream

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Listening to someone **** can influence you mood.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): Usually energizes

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Using Satanic images is gay

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Unless they look emo, image doesn't matter

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: A little of everything, but mainly black and death.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Opeth, Agalloch, Between the Buried and Me, Ulver.

Why do you listen to metal?: Because I like how it sounds.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Sometimes.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): It tends to calm me if it's the right kind, very rarely does metal (or any music) make me angry.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Not at all.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: No, if the music's good it won't matter what they look like.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM

Snowboard/Ski - Surf Instructor (Winter - Summer) Bar Man in between seasons

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?:
Progressive, Mathcore, Death, Black, Technical Death, Deathcore, pretty much all genres

Between The Buried And Me, The Arusha Accord, Fellsilent, Decapitated, Gorod, Ion Dissonance.

Because i listen to all music, and i like music with complex timings and time signatures and the metal i listen to offers that. i also like constantly changing and suprising music, and most music doesnt offer that. its also improved my guitar playing skills rapidly by pushing myself to play my favourite bands songs. standard rock music doesnt push my techniques to the level that i want to play at.

Yes, It psyches me up when i need it, for a surf in big waves (Overhead+ and heavy barrels) or for skateboarding. or it calms me down listening to complex melodic guitar work or staggered time signatures.

Above

Meh, dont care, it doesnt affect me in any way apart from giving the music i listen to a bad name, and putting other people off getting into the genre, because of the bad stereotype

I dont even know what most of the bands i listen to look like so....
but an artists name will sometimes put me off listening to them, which is stupid, but if it sounds like it could be an emo band or a ****ty generic hardcore or metalcore band i might dismiss them later to hear them and realise i was an idiot

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Thrash, Prog, Death, Speed, Doom, Stoner, Post, Folk, Tech Death, Melodeath, Metalcore, practically all of it, just not a huge Black Metal fan

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Cynic, Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, Metallica, Lamb of God, Machine Head, Testament, Metallica, Living Colour, Meshuggah, In Flames, Baroness, Behemoth, Nile, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Cacophony, Dark Angel, Death, Dio, The Faceless, Megadeth, Pantera, Protest the Hero,

I enjoy the musicianship and passion that is present in most metal music.

Does listening to metal influence my mood? No
If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): NA

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: No, if its done intelligently. Stupid lyrics are stupid, regardless of the theme/imagery.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: It may influence my first opinion, but I very seldom judge a group based on appearance alone.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Mostly death, black, prog, avant-garde, grind, and deathcore.

Who are your favourite metal artists?: The Faceless, Meshuggah, Nile, Cynic, Job For A Cowboy, Immortal, Anata, and Decapitated.

Why do you listen to metal?: I like the guitars, and the atmosphere that it conveys, and the vocals and lyrics are pretty cool.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Not so much, but it does get me pumped when I'm working out.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: Not at all.

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: Sorta, to a degree, but I like to listen before passing judgements.

What type(s) of metal do you listen to?: Black, Avant-Garde, Progressive, Melodic Death [a small amount]...

Who are your favourite metal artists?: Arcturus, Artefact, Drudkh, Insomnium, Negura Bunget, Vintersorg

Why do you listen to metal?: For the substance. And just generally because I like it.

Do you feel that listening to metal can influence your mood?: Every now and then.

If so, in what way? (ie does it make you angry or mellow?): It can calm me down a bit.

Do you object to the use of Satanic imagery in metal?: No. I dont really endorse it, it isnt my thing, but who cares what someone else wants to do/talk about?

Does an artists image influence whether or not you will listen to them?: 98% of the time? No. But every so often a band will roll along that just looks so stupid or what have you that I cant take them seriously or listen to them.
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Oct 13, 2009,
Page 1 of 3