Ok guys...I know earlier I was thinking about getting a '59 reissue Les Paul...but I am also considering a EVH Wolfgang...like I said...I play classic rock, and blues. I am also a HUGE EVH fan. Can any of you guys give me some reviews, or any advice?
those guitars are pure cash dude. they are the ****. definitely get that over the LP.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
If you have the chance to get an EVH, then do it!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The Wolfgangs are very expensive, but the quality is first-rate. EVH designed them in cooperation with the people in Fender's Custom Shop. The guitar is, if you believe the statements EVH has made in the press, exactly what he wants in a guitar. You'd have to try it in order to make certain that it is your idea of what a guitar should be.

If you like EVH, it is the exact same guitar he plays. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Enjoy whichever one you end up with.
yeah i seriously think this is the one I'm getting...the nearest Gibson dealer is in New Orleans, and thats about 4 hours away so I won't be able to try out any. There is two Fender dealers in town that have EVH Wolfgangs. Which color do yall think I should get?? I got to say...I'm really starting to like coming here because you guys have helped me out alot.
For less money, almost the same guitar (earlier versions as Ed was promoting them, his design) and I believe much better quality look into the EB/MusicMan Axis.
Here it is in tobacco burst....

2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
+1 to looking for EB/MM Axis over the Wolfgang.

Not that the Wolfgang isn't awesome, but it's a bit much ($$$)...

I would never buy any guitar without playing it first, particularly a Les Paul.
Glad we could help. As for color, that's a personal choice. The guitar body and headstock come with 5-ply white and black binding - something his Music Man and Peavey versions did not have. I think the binding looks best on the black guitar, but that's just my opinion.

You do realize, of course, that now that you are going to get an EVH guitar, you'll have to get the EVH amplifier and cabinet to go with it. And then you'll need to buy all of the MXR EVH pedals, too. Welcome to G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). There is no cure for it.
The best thing you can do as a Van Halen fan is to do what Ed did back in the day before he became an endorsement wh0re and build your own Frankenstrat or make an original Frankie or a Kramer 5150 replica like I did. That is the ultimate. I'm glad I did it, I did my research and was patient and got a kick ass guitar in the end.
Quote by DSOTM80
The best thing you can do as a Van Halen fan is to do what Ed did back in the day before he became an endorsement wh0re and build your own Frankenstrat or make an original Frankie or a Kramer 5150 replica like I did. That is the ultimate. I'm glad I did it, I did my research and was patient and got a kick ass guitar in the end.

oh i've always wanted to do that...but I'm not even sure where to start... that will be next if I can get some help from yall
Quote by chrisrab5150
oh i've always wanted to do that...but I'm not even sure where to start... that will be next if I can get some help from yall

Go to Guitar building and customizing, they will help you with anything you need.
EVH had a great deal more input into the design and development of the EVH Wolfgang guitar than he did with the Music Man Axis or the Peavey Wolfgang. The Axis has no tone control. The EVH has a painted headstock and the 5-ply binding on the body and headstock. I don't know what version of the Floyd Rose tremolo is used on the Axis, but the one on the EVH is the top of the line version (I believe it is made by Schaller in Germany). It comes equipped with his D-Tuna drop tuning device. The pickups on the EVH are specially made to EVH's specifications. According to articles in major guitar magazines, it took months and dozens of prototypes before he got what he wanted from the Fender Custom Shop people. He also sweated the details over the neck and fretboard until it was exactly what he wanted.

That having been said, both the Music Man Axis and the Peavey version (I forget what they are calling it now) are fine guitars.
if you want a fixed bridge i suggest the Peavey Wolfgang Standard. it's a whole lot cheaper, and i don't think the new EVH guitars have made a Tune-o-Matic style bridge guitar yet. could be wrong, but i haven't seen one.

or with all that money you could build yourself a custom! Warmoth makes amazing stuff, but they don't offer the wolfgang shape anymore. you can find some on Ebay or you can get a body from USACG (USA Custom Guitars). they're basically a bunch of Warmoth employees who went off and made their own company. they offer custom carved top wolfgangs, and the neck pocket will fit any fender neck so you can still get a warmoth neck if you wanted. i think warmoth is tops in necks. they're absolutely amazing.

anyway, pretty much whatever you get will be kick ass! the EVH guitars are awesome.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Everyones saying how awesome the new EVH guitars are, I wonder how many of them have actually played one or even held it
Quote by DSOTM80
Everyones saying how awesome the new EVH guitars are, I wonder how many of them have actually played one or even held it

haven't, but i would love to! i had a Peavey Wolfgang Standard a while back. and aside from smelling like awful cigarette smoke (stupid previous owner) it was a great guitar!

but mine was a TOM bridge, which i prefer to a floyd personally. and to TS: if you're between a Les Paul and an EVH guitar you probably know the difference between a TOM and a Floyd. i don't think you can get a "wrong guitar" in this situation; they're all great. but i really love the convenience in the fixed bridge.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Oh damn today I went to the local shop and got to play around on the Wolfgang...I think I'm in love...
Sounds like you are another casualty of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Welcome to the club. It's really not so bad. After all, food and rent are highly overrated.
**** both choices. get a basswood Suhr custom or modern.
That'll do EVH, and everything else.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by DSOTM80

I played the Fender Custom Shop EVH Wolfgang. It was amazing. I ordered it in new for a customer. She had never seen it, played it, but plopped down the cash and we ordered a new one straight up. Seriously amazing guitar, if you like a short scaled neck.

I have also played a Gibson VOS '59, completely different animal.

Both are great guitars built in two of the arguably best custom shops in the US.

Try a PRS custom 24 as well...
Short scaled? The EVH Wolfgang is 25.5in scale
Quote by DSOTM80

:raises hand:

One of the new white ones. They had it a local GC. If I were a rich man, I'd have purchased it in seconds - really, for a rocker, I think it's pretty hard to beat. Excluding personal preferences unique to other players, I'd say it's one of the best guitars out there; on par with top-of-the-line Gibsons and PRS. Hella pricey though.

I didn't care for the compound radius, or the inability to pull up on the Floyd. And the D-tuna frankly just got in my way. But I'd still have been all over that. TS, if you haven't figured it out by now, I highly recommend it.
actually it's not made by fender custom shop. It's made by the Jackson custom shop, which is owned by fender. They're great guitars, just not worth three grand in my opinion. I'd rather have a jackson usa soloist or a EBMM axis. Better value for the money
Quote by DSOTM80
Short scaled? The EVH Wolfgang is 25.5in scale

yea I just read that. it really surprised me because it felt like a jaguar type scale when I played it. felt short and fast.
They have vintage size frets too i think? Did anyone miss having bigger frets when you played it?
Quote by gregs1020
yea I just read that. it really surprised me because it felt like a jaguar type scale when I played it. felt short and fast.
My MM1 feels really short too. It's actually the reason I'm selling it.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I played the EVH wolfgang, it was a ivory one. It was a blast to play. I also played it through the 5150III, and a great combination they were. I didnt really care for the amp to much. But the guitar was wicked. The tone knob is useless imo... but that goes for all guitars imo...lol But the volume pot whole crap... so smooth and quick, and cleans the guitar right up. The neck is nice too, nice and smooth no sticky lacquer just nice unfinished smoothness. I think it has a more C shaped neck rather then the asymetrical one on his Kramer, EBMM EVH (or now Axis), or Peavey Wolfgang. The floyd rose and tuners are neat to because they are signature EVH floyd rose and tuners, made just for the wolfgang... However... when ever I tapped the pickup selector it made a crackling noise...

The same store i also played a EBMM Axis, it was also a blast to play. I liked the Asymetrical neck better, and it didnt have a tone knob (which i liked because I dont use it...others may dislike this..) The neck was also smooth as butter with its gun stock oil finish. The colours you get to choose from are way better too...lol unless you like one of the 3 colours the EVH comes in... It was very sensitive much like the wolfgang, except the volume knob was a little less smooth flowing... It was like any other normal non worn-in or high friction pot...

I would go with a EBMM Axis personally because the colours and price are better, and it sounds and plays just as good for me...

But I'm probably gonna build my next guitar... so yah...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
The gunstock oil/wax finish on the neck is what makes those guitars so great to play. My Kramer 5150 has that type of finish on it and its awesome, so smooth and fast. The tone pot really depends on your pickups. My Pacer has 1 pickup and a volume and tone knob and a ton of tones between them. If you have no treble cap on your single humbucker/single volume guitar with the right pickup and roll back the volume it warms up really nice.
If I were a rich man, I too would buy the EVH Wolfgang (sight unseen even).

I have played Peavey Wolfgangs, and I own a Music Man Axis (super sport).
So I already know I love the style of the guitar.

The New EVH Wolfgang is pretty much exactly the same as the Peavey Wolfgangs.
The only real differences are cosmetic.
Everything else is just upgraded/higher quality parts.
But the Guitar is basically the same.

Yes the price is jacked, mostly because of the name.
But you do get quality.

If you take Ed at his word, he has more control over the Quality Control at the factory.

He said something like this in the Guitar Player Magazine interview. (I don't have the exact quote)..

"I can walk into an authorized dealer, take one of my Wolfgangs off the wall and take it to a show."
Something to that effect.

So that means you get exactly what Ed plays. Again, if you take Ed at his word.

Can't get much better than that.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Don't believe everything you hear and read. A lot of different factors come into play. No way is personal like one off the shelf.
+1 to what thrasher said which has been repeated many times over. EB MusicMan stuff is unreal quality wise, you can't go wrong with them, I'd be vary of the EVH Wolfgangs, Fender has already had problems with the 5150 III amps and contrary to popular belief I don't recall them being Custom Shop models. The EVH Wolfgangs are way over priced...and if you don't believe a MusicMan Axis can nail EVH tones check this video out and look at his description as to what equipment he's using on some of his other videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDJg-WjjSYI
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Oct 17, 2009,