I am starting a band with fellow high schoolers. We are all about 15 y/o and have musical experience in the past. I will be sharing the duties of leading it with our lead vocalist.
so here is the list of members:

Me - electric/acoustic guitar, bgvs, keyboard
Other guy - Electric guitar
Other guy - Bass/bvgs
Other guy - Drums/percussion
Other guy - lead vocals, I'm teaching him guitar

We are having our first meeting this weekend to talk about the basics.

I think we are looking in the rock/surf rock (maybe a bit of U2ish stuff... or indie perhaps)

Do you guys have any tips on anything in general?
Do you need 3 guitars? Seriously think about putting much effort into learning your singer to play the guitar if it's not needed.
I'm assuming this meeting isn't a jam. Make sure that you discuss what goals you all think you should have with the band. e.g. one member might just want to jam every now and again, another might want a 3 record contract with Sony. Also discuss what musical genres you would all like to explore and whether you want to do covers, originals or both. It doesn't matter if you all have different musical genres so long as you are all open to experimenting. It's also good to find out what equipment is available and what practice space is availiable. You will need to know band members availability and it might be helpful to know each band member's previous experience i.e. previous bands, time they've been playing instrument, theory knowledge.

Try to arrange a time to jam for the first time. I would advise agreeing on a cover for members to learn so that you can start playing together straight away (even if you intend to be an originals band)
Learn your band members names?

Kidding. Definitely talk about goals and what kind of music you want to do. Talk about songwriting (unless you're a cover band) and also who has access to gigs, recording, practice spots, all the basics. Make sure you all know what you want to do. Too many bands breakup because one or two members just want to have fun for a year or something, and the others want this to be their career.
Like people have mentioned, talk about what direction you want the band to go and practice space is another big thing that needs to be figured out. Figuring out a good schedule as to when you are going to practice is another good thing to discuss. Good Luck!
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Out of interest, have you guys played together before? It seems a bit pre-emptive to talk about these things, raising members expectations, when it could all fall apart because you sound horrible together.

Figure out whether you're going to be an originals or cover band from the start.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Out of interest, have you guys played together before? It seems a bit pre-emptive to talk about these things, raising members expectations, when it could all fall apart because you sound horrible together.

Figure out whether you're going to be an originals or cover band from the start.

Myself, the bass player, and the drummer have all played together in the past. The other two, I am not sure 'bout them...
Quote by Nate.K
Myself, the bass player, and the drummer have all played together in the past. The other two, I am not sure 'bout them...

Then I wouldnt refer to it as a band. I'd avoid ever calling it a band until your ready to rock with those cats every time, every venue. Its like a relationship, jamming is like having a friend with benifits. Sure, they might get butt hurt if you jam elsewhere, but it frees you up. If you start a legit "Band", or even refer to it that way, some folks are going to get stuck inside that circle. (Which is great if you want them there). But how do you tell that guy that "Thinks" he can play that he's more harm than help?

Simple, you jam with him. Your band is elsewhere.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Then I wouldnt refer to it as a band. I'd avoid ever calling it a band until your ready to rock with those cats every time, every venue. Its like a relationship, jamming is like having a friend with benifits. Sure, they might get butt hurt if you jam elsewhere, but it frees you up. If you start a legit "Band", or even refer to it that way, some folks are going to get stuck inside that circle. (Which is great if you want them there). But how do you tell that guy that "Thinks" he can play that he's more harm than help?

Simple, you jam with him. Your band is elsewhere.

I think you understood that post wrong...
I have played with the bass player and drummer in my church band, but this is something different. We wanted more freedom than we had in the church band, so we are starting this, and adding 2 more people that we all know. So it is more than just a jam...

Or am I missing something?
Quote by Nate.K
I think you understood that post wrong...
I have played with the bass player and drummer in my church band, but this is something different. We wanted more freedom than we had in the church band, so we are starting this, and adding 2 more people that we all know. So it is more than just a jam...

Or am I missing something?

Nope. You got it right. My humble opinion is that too often we refer to jam sessions as "Band Formations". Its cool if thats what your looking for, but often times, its not. Bands require teamwork, chemsitry, craftsmanship, and dedication. These are traits that are often learned, rather than instilled. My point is that if you form a band quickly, before you understand the motives, skills, chemistry and habits of the whole group...Problems may arise. Creative differences, lack of adequete practice/rehersal/studio time, substance abuse problems arise.

Imagine one of those Guitarists has a problem, one that you think is detrimental to the band, how do you politly ask him to leave. If its just a jam session, he dosent get the invite to the band formation. I know it may look like a dick move, and it could be seen that way. But you have to ask yourself what your motives are. If you want to gig regularly, get paid, and build a following, you need to widdle first.

TL;DR - If you know the guys well enough, then skrew it, form a band. If you dont, try jammin for a while first. If these two new guys seem cool enough/good enough/dedicated enough, it dosent matter what I suggest.

My warning is simple, "Never say 'were a band' until your ready to commit to that as a group"
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204