I have my guitar into the box, and both the outputs go to two different amps. So, what I'm guessing is that when I step on the box, it switch between amps?

If so, what's a good one to get?
Yes it does what you think it does

You can't really have a "better" A/B box since it's just a switch
Quote by Sguit

Yeah, true, but I meant like, which one has a better quality? Think like... Digitech plastic case, MXR Metal Cast case, etc.
Quote by Sguit

True, but he asked about an A/B/Y box. With A/B/Ys quality is very important to avoid ground loops, and phasing issues. That said, I don't know of any good ones.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by maverick_137
does the y mean it runs into 2 amps at once

Yes. That is for stereo, and for some reason, that I don't know because I'm not an electronics person, running amps in stereo can cause some issues without proper buffering and grounding.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Hmm... Knowledgeable answers, but no one has knowledge on which one's a good pedal
An A/B box switches between two different signals; so you can plug your guitar into it and switch between two different amps.

An A/B/Y does a similar job, but allows you to play through both at the same time. So you can switch between two amps, but the Y function allows you to play through both. You want a well-built A/B/Y box because in order to effectively split a signal, you need a good buffer stage to boost the signal without colouring it too much.
Hey I just realized I sigged you. Are you sure there isn't better and worse ones that can correct that problem. there are large price differences in price tho.
Quote by Mathamology
An A/B box switches between two different signals; so you can plug your guitar into it and switch between two different amps.

Oh, then all I'm really looking for is an A/B box then. Would you happen to know which would be a good one to get?
Quote by SMB13
Oh, then all I'm really looking for is an A/B box then. Would you happen to know which would be a good one to get?

Where A/B boxes are concerned the construction is much simpler, to the extent that you can pretty much make a perfectly functioning A/B box yourself. If you don't fancy building one there are loads out there, such as the Boss AB2.
Quote by Mathamology
Where A/B boxes are concerned the construction is much simpler, to the extent that you can pretty much make a perfectly functioning A/B box yourself. If you don't fancy building one there are loads out there, such as the Boss AB2.

It doesn't fall victim to the other BOSS pedal downfalls does it? As in, they're not really that great. They do their job, but there's better out there?
I must admit that I have never used it. Having said that, Boss still make some great stuff, and as far as something as simple as an A/B selector is concerned, it should be a safe bet.

It's a bit over-priced though in my opinion. On the other end of the spectrum, check out this thread. PM the TS, ask him how that box worked out for him. It's as basic as they come (notice there's no LED indicators, which personally I'd require) but it represents how simple the A/B box can be.

EDIT: Schematic of an A/B box. Note the lack of components; it's basically a switch, three jacks and a couple of LED's.

Linked instead of IMG posted, due to copyright.
Last edited by Mathamology at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by Mathamology
I must admit that I have never used it. Having said that, Boss still make some great stuff, and as far as something as simple as an A/B selector is concerned, it should be a safe bet.

It's a bit over-priced though in my opinion. On the other end of the spectrum, check out this thread. PM the TS, ask him how that box worked out for him. It's as basic as they come (notice there's no LED indicators, which personally I'd require) but it represents how simple the A/B box can be.

Thanks man, you've been great help
There are differences. Morley makes one for about $60, but it's really noisy.
I haven't had any experience with others, but the pricier ones should have better electronics and improved signal and tone integrity compared to the cheaper ones.

In theory anyway. You have to do some leg-work and read reviews or try them out.
Whoa Whoah Whoah here for a second. I can tell you firsthand about this. I run two amps live and switch them with a Radial Tonebone Switchbone A/B/Y. I would never use any ABY below this price range and I'll tell you why.

A simple A/B switch takes one input and simply outputs to either A OR B, or vice versa (in most cases) takes 2 inputs and switches between them to go to 1 output. It will not do them at the same time. This is what separates them from an A/B/Y.

An A/B/Y will do all of the above except it also will do them both at the same time. Understand this though: You cannot simply take 1 guitar, put it in a switching box and drive 2 amps with it. Will not work most of the time. Best case scenario: your signal sounds weak and dull, the amp is unresponsive and sounds like poop. Worst case scenario: You can create high voltage arcs that can and will destroy your amps and potentially injure someone (mostly a problem with older vintage amps). You have to have a buffer/driver, isolated grounds, and a transformer for it to work properly. Most low end A/B/Y boxes dont offer this. Make sure if you are using the ABY for amp switching that it has all of those things, including phase inversion.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Yeah all I've seen and heard shows Lehle to be one of the top.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred