Hi I want to ask your opinion about Geddy Lee Jazz Bass because maybe i will buy one or can you suggest me basses around 1000-1300 $?
Sounds good, looks sexy, has a terrible neck - it's really thin, uncomfortable thin...to me anyways.

And ever since the price jump you might as well just get an MIA Jazz.
The Geddy Lee Jazz Bass is a replica of his 1972 Fender Jazz, to which he added a Badass II bridge. It is made in Fender's Custom Shop in Japan. It is a fantastic bass. I've owned one for a few years and it plays better than any other Fender Jazz I own; some costing more than twice as much. The Geddy Lee Jazz has a very thin neck that makes playing fast runs very easy. The only drawback to it is that the price went up considerably a few months ago. It now sells for about $1200.00 because of the whole dollar/yen thing.

The neck is so good that when Geddy's Jazz bass needed a new neck at the start of the Snakes and Arrows tour, he popped the neck off of one of his signature Jazz models and put it onto his 72 Jazz. You have to figure that it's got to be good if the man himself is using it.

It is the best bass in its price range, and that's coming from a guy with way too many basses to his name. You won't regret buying one.
My main axe right now, until I finish my custom is my Geddy Lee Jazz.
It is fantastic, my first "real" upgrade in my my rig I got.
Thin neck, yes, but it plays very well. Good tone.
For the price, it's awesome.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
i haven't played a marcus miller so i cant comment on whether it i better than the geddy or not, but i own the geddy and i thnk its great. closest thing to a vintage jazz bass.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I do rather like the Geddy. I really dig the thin neck and overall, it's a nice bass. That said, you can get something better for the price. If you had one a little while back before the price jump, you have a nice little investment on your hands.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I like the regular J-basses more than the Geddy. If you are looking to spend about $1300 though you should check out a MusicMan Stingray.
Sounds great, looks great, the neck being thin is nice, BUT the finish on the neck makes me hate it. I would never buy one. Check out the 70s Jbass if you like the look but don't like the sticky neck like me.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I see it like this

Before price increase: Awesome bass, great specs, solid construction, looks really cool

After price increase: You can do much better for the price
Nope, no sig here.
the Geddy is an outstanding bass. it holds it's resale value as good as any MIA, and so far, better than the Marcus Miller models. even better than my Hwy 1 Jazz. i wouldn't trade my H1 for a Geddy but, they are one of the best models Fender has to offer. i would probably own the Geddy had they offered more color choices at the time i purchased my H1. (both priced at $649usd at the time - '04).
Quote by Mutant Corn
I see it like this

Before price increase: Awesome bass, great specs, solid construction, looks really cool

After price increase: You can do much better for the price
this. It's one of those things I'd consider buying 2nd hand, but not for full price.
Quote by Steve08
this. It's one of those things I'd consider buying 2nd hand, but not for full price.

i got mine second hand but in perfect new condition. It was previously owned by a massive rush fan who, wait for it, didnt even play bass! So it was basically brand new.

After the price increase i would probably doubt whether it worth all that cash.

I wonder what geddy will think about the price increase? he always seemed really bothered about fender charging too much for his sig model.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I played one once. Would have been so worth it back when they were $800. Remember the good old days when Fenders were only slightly overpriced, instead of now when you'd have to be a TBer to have that massive a gear boner to want to buy a Geddy?

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to get one of these new now that they have the 70's Jazz. It's basically the same thing, but with a rosewood fretboard, a slightly fatter neck, and a normal Fender bridge instead of a Badass. Just get one of those, get a Gotoh 201 bridge, and install it.

You might as well get an MIA Jazz. unless you REALLY want the slightly closer to the bridge bridge pickup or have hands the size of a midgets, get that. Its a much nicer bass for the same price.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Oct 14, 2009,
Every couple trips to Guitar Center I pull down a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, and briefly consider whether it would be worth draining my checking account and maxing out my credit card to get one. If I was looking for a bass in that price range, it would probably be that one.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
flatter than the average jazz. like it.

the Marcus Miller is just awesomer though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
for that much check out the marcus miller jazz and also try the fender roadworn 60's reissue jazz it is remarkably comfterble to play and has a very killer sound i can't ever put the raodworn jazz bass down when im at the store

the geddy lee is either you love it or you hate it if you love it then you will pay a premium for it.

it would be very easy to emulate however, you could get a highway one and change pickups to whatever suites you if that is the same SD pickups as geddy thats fine, if its something else that is fine too. try the marcus miller and the roadworn those are two basses that are perfect the way they are made already tho!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Oct 15, 2009,
i love it to death, i love the neck and it just looks sexy tbh.Also the fact theres actually a few Punk Bassists who use em Chris #2 springs to mind.

Its on my dream list right now along with a Ric and a Gibson Thunderbird (*prepares to be shot*).

But if i were to choose between the 3 i would actaully take the Geddy Lee.After trying it out in GG in Edinburgh i just knew i loved it but i couldnt afford it might look for a used one once i get a job.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.