Experienced bassists please help!

I have a very good understanding of sound in general and guitar equipment, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to bass gear. Could you please point me in the right direction for general info on basses, bass amps, DIs etc., or more specifically, those pieces of equipment which are best suited to deliver HUGE, thunderous, shake-the-earth kinda' low end?

I'm really looking for those hidden gems, the amazing sounding high-end stuff you rarely see anyone using because it costs too damn much. I'm not exactly in the market, but I'd like to know more about what's out there for my long-neck bros.

Links would be highly appreciated as well!

Thanks everyone!

Markbass and Warwick

Both can be very expensive, but if you can afford it, they are all you could ever need.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If price is no object, and if you can find one, try a Glockenklang Heart Rock amplifier. The tones are astonishing, and they are plenty loud and thunderous. If you just want earthshaking low end, get yourself an enormously powerful PA power amp and a good preamp to shape your tone, like a SansAmp RBI or RPM. Run it through a high-wattage 8x10 cabinet such as a Basson. That would simulate a major earthquake.
Quote by c3powil
Markbass

Oh yes, yes, yes.

I'm saving up for a MoMark. Wow ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I think I saw something about that on youtube. Where you can mix and match diffrent sections of EQ and Power right?

EDIT: It said theyd be introducing digital EQ as componets of the Momark . Now all they need is to come out with a little remote controll that you keep in your pocket so you can turn up or down certain frequencies from a distance.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Oct 13, 2009,