I'm doing a Warmoth build. I just finished doing my last coat of clear and I've had a few problems with the neck. First of all my attempt at masking and just painting the headstock failed. The Head is painted fine, and most of the neck is fine, the problem is that the line between the bare wood and paint is rough and jagged.

Also, when I was taking the masking off I dented the back of the neck with scissors.

Should I just try and fill the dent with a wood filler and try to sand back the paint on the head until its only the front that is painted? Or would that leave discoloured wood where the paint was?

I don't really like the idea of painting the rest of the back of the neck. I've been working at this for a fair bit of time, I don't want to spend another 4 weeks doing the back of the neck.

Thanks
The Dent.

Take wet flannel (facecloth). Heat up a knife or use a steam Iron.

Put the cloth on the dent then press the knife to it...this will steam the dent out so it is less noticeable..but you have damaged the wood fibres, so it won't go away.

The paint.

I wouldn't have painted the back of the headstock anyway, but that is your choice.

What exactly have you cleared?

You need plastic painters tape (blue) to mask of the neck area, paint to it, then peel the tape about 10 mins after you have sprayed the paint.

Apply clear coat.

This should be in the painting/finishing thread.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Thanks skeet.

I wasn't planning to pain the back or sides of the head in the first place, it just seemed eaiser to mask when I was preparing.

I've only put clear on the painted part.

Would it be practical to just sand the back and sides of the head, leaving paint only the the front? Or is that going to leave discolored wood?
Quote by iamthejoker
Thanks skeet.

I wasn't planning to pain the back or sides of the head in the first place, it just seemed eaiser to mask when I was preparing.

I've only put clear on the painted part.

Would it be practical to just sand the back and sides of the head, leaving paint only the the front? Or is that going to leave discolored wood?

Yeah that would work, as you get nearer to the wood, you will have black streaks which will sand out. Use a firm block with your abrasive paper so you don't get ridges.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Yeah that would work, as you get nearer to the wood, you will have black streaks which will sand out. Use a firm block with your abrasive paper so you don't get ridges.

Thanks a lot.

I did the steam trick with the dent earlier. Worked pretty much as you said it would.
Quote by iamthejoker
Thanks a lot.

I did the steam trick with the dent earlier. Worked pretty much as you said it would.

See, not just an Awesome Avatar am I?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
See, not just an Awesome Avatar am I?

Haha. Maybe not. But it was the avatar that really polished off those posts. :P
Quote by iamthejoker
Haha. Maybe not. But it was the avatar that really polished off those posts. :P

My wife on the left, her friend on the right...in our whirlpool bath
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
My wife on the left, her friend on the right...in our whirlpool bath

MORE PICS NAOOOO O_O
Quote by deftonesordie
pfft. nub. this has been covered too many times.

LOL!
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani