So i've been contemplating a '62 reissue strat. the only thing is I may have to buy it online. I'm hoping to get the opinions of anyone else who bought a '62 reissue strat. Or, anyone else who has played a '62 reissue strat could you tell me how the QC is on those. Is is worth the risk to buy it online?
No. My rule when buying online is to assume that you won't like the guitar and will sell it for another. If you're not prepared to do that, play before you buy.

The 62 is a good guitar but like any other they vary from one to the next, and you have a lot of high quality options in that price range.
play it first...if i were you i wouldnt get it online
I buy most of my gear (both my amps was bought there) on the internet, mostly because I can find things easier there. Everything I've bought online has been good.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
It always should come down to how you prefer to buy gear.

That said, I do want to relate my experiences with the re-issue '62 strat. The "local" Guitar Center had five of them, all the same cream color for the body. There were subtle differences between them, but the minor differences in setup (pickup height and action) may well have accounted for that.

I own a real '62 strat, and the re-issue is pretty close - but not exact. And yes, I did take it when I played the re-issues. And I also took a very high end amp and headphones so I could hear the differences without a lot of room interference. Some of the differences are because I have had my '62 it since I bought it new in 1963. The magnets in the pups are likely not the same strength as they once were. I have had the neck worked on, mainly to have a few frets replaced and dressed.

One noticeable difference is that the re-issue pups are a bit brighter, and they can handle more string movement before they clip or distort. Both could well be the magnet differences.

If I had to replace my orginal, I could not afford to. I might consider buying a re-issue, but only after I played the one I might buy.
Supposedly reissues from 82-83/84 were supposed to be the best. Having that said, the reissue is a pretty solid guitar from what I've played. If you have the money to dish out over $2,000 (assuming you're buying new) there are a few small luthiers who make replicas of vintage strats and teles that I've found to be more accurate than Fender's production, even going as far as finishing it in true nitro and taking in consideration anything you want done with the guitar (I.E: flatter radius, bigger frets, etc etc).
tbh, you have nothing to lose but time.

if you can buy it first hand, and try it out, then that's the ultimate win.

if you can't for whatever reason, and want to take a chance on MF or similar company then you'll be fine.

one of two things will happen.

1. you'll get it and YAY! love it.
or
2. you'll get it, and NAY! hate it because of a fret, hardware problem, ect...
in which case,
you call them on the phone tell them the guitar is "damaged" for that reason and they will send you a free shipping return label.

i've bought more than a few guitars online, new, used, scratch and dent.

i've returned two so far, kept the rest.
just make sure the company you use has that free ship, return policy.

edit: also, i've got this 62' reissue, and it's pretty cool. though i've heard some guys got crappy ones. i've had it like 4 years now? something like that, no problems.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Limited-Edition-Deluxe-Vintage-Player-62-Stratocaster?sku=511986
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 13, 2009,
i appreciate it guys. i'm actually looking to buy from ebay, so I hope i can get a decent deal from this. that's the only reason I would get it online. Also, I've also played some '62 reissues, but only those owned by people I know and I've been craving one for a while. So if i get a deal where I can buy it for less than 1k would you suggest getting it considering it's about 1800-1900 new and I could probably resell it for equal or greater value?
i reccomend the 57 RI. that's just my preferance though. as far as buying online, most guitars (even if it is the same model from the same company from the same factory) are slightly different. you might play a 62 strat one day and love it but then go play another one later and hate it. i wouldn't suggest buying online unless you REALLY cant find one around you. also make sure you take a look at 57 strats. i highly suggest it.
Quote by Hultan
I buy most of my gear (both my amps was bought there) on the internet, mostly because I can find things easier there. Everything I've bought online has been good.

However there is BIG difference between buying online with amps compared to guitars. Every amp is built the same, two of the same amp will more or less be exactly identical. Guitars on the other hand will be different from each one.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
pretty much what jenny and gabe are saying. I've bought most of my stuff online (most of the stuff I want isn't available easily here), and you're normally fine if you do your research first (like trying out similar guitars, etc.) and buy from a reputable retailer, but there is more risk. That being said, you could easily miss a problem when buying from a shop too, buying from a shop isn't foolproof either. It is easier to return to a local shop, but you don't have the same protection under law, either- you aren't covered by distance-selling regulations (in europe, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
imo, it changes everything now that i know you're buying from Ebay.

can you return it?

i know a lot of guys like buying gear off ebay, i just worry about getting a lemon that way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

can you return it?

i know a lot of guys like buying gear off ebay, i just worry about getting a lemon that way.

you know, at this point I haven't decided exactly on which one i'll buy. I'm watching about 8-9 different auctions, including some MIJ 62 reissues.

@madshatter: i've never had the chance to play a '57 reissue, I don't see much of them around. My local guitar shop stocks only normal fender american standards and on occasion they'll have some american deluxe. Guitar Center here in boston hasn't been much better either. However, I'll check around if I have a chance to play a '57 reissue.

What do you guys think of the MIJ '62 reissues? I hear lots of good things about fender japan, but sadly i haven't had the opportunity to play one. how do they compare to the '62 reissues currently in production?
MIJs are superb guitars and some people will go as far to say that they're superior to MIA. However, a lot of MIJs are made out of basswood. If you're picky about woods and everything, you need to find one that is made with alder. Those will be a little bit more expensive than the basswood, but just depends on you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
pretty much what jenny and gabe are saying. I've bought most of my stuff online (most of the stuff I want isn't available easily here), and you're normally fine if you do your research first (like trying out similar guitars, etc.) and buy from a reputable retailer, but there is more risk. That being said, you could easily miss a problem when buying from a shop too, buying from a shop isn't foolproof either. It is easier to return to a local shop, but you don't have the same protection under law, either- you aren't covered by distance-selling regulations (in europe, anyway).

Exactly. My Tele I got online without trying. However it was from Mr. Hankey here, so I could trust that it was in good hands. Plus I did a lot of research on the model and had tried many of them before. Plus my other hoice was a Squier Classic Vibe, which I would have had to get online anyway, since over here they are more than €150 more in price.

And I can vouch for thos MIJ Fenders. I love them. I actually tend to prefer them to MIA ones too. As you said you need to get one online, then I'd say it's safe. But my tip is to research it as much as you can. Read reviews, guides, everything. Try to find forums specialized in them and ask there. Japanese guitars tend to have amazing quality control and most of people who get them need to buy them online.

But rule of thumb is that if buying in a shop is a choice, it's good because you can pick one out. However it isn't 100% foolproof as Dave said. Nothing says they're less likely to have a lemon than online. Plus in many cases they might have a slim choice of a special model. But as a rule of thumb, if you plan to buy an instrument online, do research. It's also a big thing who you're buying it from. Try to get in touch with them. If it's a store, check if you can return it if you don't like it or something. Check their policy and so on.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ exactly

Regarding the japanese fenders, they're great (the ones I've tried, anyway). The "non-export" ones have alder or ash bodies; however, they don't have nitro (the very highest model might, I can't remember for sure) finishes like the US reissues, if that worries you. But they're very nice guitars. Japanese-made Tokais would be worth considering too- Tokai has been making a lot of the MIJ Fenders for the last few years, and they tend to be a bit cheaper as you're cutting out the middle man.

Quote by jj1565

can you return it?

yeah, ebay is riskier again.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the input guys. if the price is right (and i'm convinced that the guitar is authentic) then i'll take the chance.
Make sure you look into the early 80s models of the reissues, both MIA and MIJ, even though the MIA would most likely be more expensive. People say the early 80s (81-83) were some of the best reissues made, and I know on one site I had found a '62 reissue MIJ from the early 80s finished in Sonic Blue going for around $1,600 (USD I think).
Another thing i'd like to get people's opinion on.
If I bought an American Standard and just put in the '62 reissue pickups could I get a similar tone? the only reason I ask is that I've played some very good American standards and I was wondering if that would do the trick
Quote by ghiyath
i appreciate it guys. i'm actually looking to buy from ebay, so I hope i can get a decent deal from this. that's the only reason I would get it online. Also, I've also played some '62 reissues, but only those owned by people I know and I've been craving one for a while. So if i get a deal where I can buy it for less than 1k would you suggest getting it considering it's about 1800-1900 new and I could probably resell it for equal or greater value?
Those are the MIA Vintage '62s. Have you considered the MIJ '62 RIs? They do show up on CraigsList and are very affordable.

The MIJ versions are either Basswood or Alder:
  • ST62US - Basswood
  • ST62DMC - Alder
  • ST62TX - Alder
  • ST62M - Alder
  • ST62G - Alder
  • ST62TX/MH - Alder

Quote by ghiyath
Another thing i'd like to get people's opinion on.
If I bought an American Standard and just put in the '62 reissue pickups could I get a similar tone? the only reason I ask is that I've played some very good American standards and I was wondering if that would do the trick

probably wouldn't be a million miles away. it wouldn't sound exactly the same, because of the 22 frets, slightly different bridge, no nitro finish, etc. etc. etc. but should be in the ballpark.

That being said, i'm not convinced that fender (or gibson, for that matter) branded pickups are great value.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I never buy online for the reason that every guitar is different

I dont care if people think that you cant tell the difference, no two pieces of wood are the same
Quote by Ippon
Those are the MIA Vintage '62s. Have you considered the MIJ '62 RIs? They do show up on CraigsList and are very affordable.

The MIJ versions are either Basswood or Alder:
  • ST62US - Basswood
  • ST62DMC - Alder
  • ST62TX - Alder
  • ST62M - Alder
  • ST62G - Alder
  • ST62TX/MH - Alder

I have considered them and from what I've seen on ebay they usually sell for around $500. I've always wanted a chance to try one.

Quote by So-Cal
I never buy online for the reason that every guitar is different I dont care if people think that you cant tell the difference, no two pieces of wood are the same

I agree with you entirely, but if the price is right i'm willing to take a chance.
same here. and most of the stores here maybe only have 2 or 3 of the same model (if you're lucky), so it's not like you can go in and try 20 to pick the best, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
same here. and most of the stores here maybe only have 2 or 3 of the same model (if you're lucky), so it's not like you can go in and try 20 to pick the best, anyway.

2 or 3? i haven't even been able to try 1 in a store. none of the 3 guitar centers i visited in New Jersey have one. I haven't checked out the one here in boston yet but i'm going to look tomorrow. but damnit i've loved every '62 reissue i've played and I want one.
oh yeah, i wasn't necessarily talking about that specific model, i just meant in general. Yeah, here you'd be lucky to find more than one in a store too for a reasonably high-end model like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a MIJ squier (yes squier) JV from 1983, which plays better than any other 62 RI i've ever played.

They're supposedly one of the best reissues you can get (closest to an original 62), however, as i've never played an original 62 strat I can't really confirm this.

I'd really recommend that you look into JV's.

(or buy mine :P)

*Disclaimer* this isn't an advert for mine, I seriously would recommend JV's to anyone who is looking at a 62 reissue

Only reason I'm selling mine is that I just can't get used to vintage-style frets , otherwise, for me at least, It's the perfect strat.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
do you guys know if any of the 62 reissues had maple necks? Someone advertised a vintage '62 reissue with a maple neck.
Quote by ghiyath
do you guys know if any of the 62 reissues had maple necks? Someone advertised a vintage '62 reissue with a maple neck.

All Fenders have maple necks, however no '62 had maple fretboards.

Quote by So-Cal
I never buy online for the reason that every guitar is different

I dont care if people think that you cant tell the difference, no two pieces of wood are the same

I agree here, but sometimes, like in Dave and my case, buyign online is the only feasible sullotion. But one should never do it without doing all the research first.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Oct 16, 2009,
^ yup (about buying online).

You might have been able to order custom models in 62 with maple fretboards, but the stock reissues aren't going to have them (any I'm aware of, anyway).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565

can you return it?

Well...

It's important to consider the fact that you can buy a guitar online and if it turns out to be a dud, you can simply flip it on Ebay for the same or almost the same price you originaly paid. That, plus the usuall variations in manufacturing Q and C, is why I simply can't bring myself to purchase guitars on Ebay. If someones selling it cheap, theres a usually a good reason for it.

If I lived in the hinterlands, my attitude might be totaly different but I want to see, touch, play and examine an instrument before I buy it and the more $$$ I'm spending and the more experience I have with guitars in general, the more true that is.

Someone told me many years ago, after I showed him my expensive new pride and joy (A new Martin.), that what I really needed to do, was to go someplace and play an exceptional Martin guitar. I took his advice and shortly thereafter, started selling off my MArtins and looking for a couple of good instruments.

I say, spend the time and gas money necessary, to play several examples of the guitar youre interested in and don't buy one untill you find "The one"! As you gain experience, your ideas of what makes up a #1 will change over time.

Right now, I'm luckyenough to have made friends with my local retailer, so I usually just ask him if he has any "good ones" in stock. Hes never wrong but I still gotta ask first.
Last edited by mymindsok at Oct 18, 2009,