Page 1 of 2
DG_Griffin
Higher Calling
681 IQ
Hey everyone, this is my first post here on the UG forums, but I have been reading them and using tabs from here for quite a while.

I was wondering if there were any fellow Christian musicians and or people whom play at church/in a christian band? I have been looking for a new electric guitar and right now im leaning towards a Fender Strat, but I was wondering what kind of guitar other people who play alot of worship oriented music use. Thanks for any help you can throw my direction.
biga29
1,157 IQ
One of the guys in my band has a strat. Another guy I know uses a Les paul. I use my Ibanez S5470 sometimes. And another guy I know plays his Yngwie Strat through his Lynch Box. It's all preference.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
Anything from Dean or BC Rich, and with EMG's...

depends on what "worship oriented" music is at your church... is there any gain used, do you want a warmer or brighter sound, are looks important, etc.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
SPBY
odin's blood fuels me
1,997 IQ
this one:

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
ugh, upper fret access is just a memory with that...
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
I prefer a Tele for church gigs, since most of my playing is clean.
Hi, I'm Peter
Charlie4
Tab Contributor
505 IQ
BC Rich Draco V - that thing screams Metal.

Ok, in all seriousness, I would recommend a Fender cause the cleans are primarily what you would use for in church music (reverb is great) and it also has a really nice but subtle overdrive.
The guy in my church uses a Tele and that works quite well - nice cleans and a twangy crunch.

Remember then, that a Fender with a Valve amp will sound A LOT better than through a purely SS Amp.

Hope this helps. =)
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
I know of one church band that actually has some gain, a few solos here or there... mny friend plays in it and has played some of the stuff.
Lurcher
Grumpy old hippy
81 IQ
I'd suggest a Tele or an ES175 as ideal but really anything can do it ('cept mine of course)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

DG_Griffin
Higher Calling
681 IQ
Well we play alot of Hillsong/Hillsong United and Desperation Band stuff. So most of it is pretty clean. And then of course we play alot of Choral/Choir oriented stuff too, so alot of "older" stuff made popular by guys like Kurt Carr/Kirk Franklin/Isreal Houghton.
jt51
Sultan of Swing
21 IQ
I misread your amp as a Vox AC15 and was wondering how you didn't have an applicable guitar already. I'd suggest a fender strat like you're already leaning towards or possibly some kind of semi-hollow bodied guitar.
My Fingertips -> Strat/Les Paul -> 1974x -> Alnico Blue + G12H30 -> Aural Sex
darkcheef
☆☆☆
114 IQ
Quote by Charlie4
BC Rich Draco V - that thing screams Metal.

Ok, in all seriousness, I would recommend a Fender cause the cleans are primarily what you would use for in church music (reverb is great) and it also has a really nice but subtle overdrive.
The guy in my church uses a Tele and that works quite well - nice cleans and a twangy crunch.

Remember then, that a Fender with a Valve amp will sound A LOT better than through a purely SS Amp.

Hope this helps. =)

Not always.
RR787
"Fastest on the Downhill"
934 IQ
I've used from Strat to Les Paul to a 7String Flying V with EMG. Use what you feel comfortable with and the sound can be all so different on what you play vs what I play.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
stratman7
123 IQ
Strat or Tele, or maybe a semi-hollow.

Especially if it's mostly clean tones, definitely a SSS Strat or Standard Tele (not a fan of the HH teles, just not my cup of tea)
CptRevell
Bassist for hire
311 IQ
The guitarists in our bands mostly use guitars with humbuckers (PRS Custom 22, Some Peaveys), but the lead normally has a Fender as a backup. He has a 80's Elite Strat and 70's Tele Deluxe. Decent tones.
minchew
UG Fanatic
560 IQ
It depends. If it's mostly clean stuff I would say go Fender. But I've seen a lot of contemporary christian bands using Les Pauls. I for.t all depends what sound you are looking
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
3,126 IQ
It definately depends on what you play and what your preferences are. Honestly I really don't think it matters all that much.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Even if the guitar is tricked out for extreme metal, you can still dial it back a notch and get a relatively tame clean sound.

Really, as hinted at by previous posters, the only real issue is going to be whether its looks detract/distract from the observance of the ceremony.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg
4,967 IQ
Well, you can use an Ibanez, a Les Paul, a Telecaster, an SG, a Stratocaster, a semi-hollowbody, or anything else not ridiculous looking.
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
Well, is it a normal service or a youth service? But either way it dosent matter, you can basicaly use any guitar for church, I use my Custom Metal Squier, I just have to watch how much gain I use. But I would go with a HSS strat, it will have the best sound for Christian service.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
I was just thinking...

You know what would REALLY kill at a Church service? A 12-string Rickenbacker.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=rickenbacker+12+string&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Or maybe a Phantom Hollowbody Teardrop 12.
http://www.phantomguitars.com/teardrop.html

Just imagine those 12 chiming strings, amplified and bouncing off of all those hard wood, stone, glass and metal surfaces!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 14, 2009,
Brian Krashpad
168 IQ
I've played in church very regularly for the last dozen years or so.

There's no one best guitar for church music, because church music involves more than one style. So long as you don't get something with active EMG's or a a super-pointy or otherwise crazy body style or finish, you should be fine. I've played Strats, Teles, even flying V's.

Last Sunday here's what I played:

Buy whatever you like, within reason, and you'll be fine.

Good onya.
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
3,126 IQ
Actually, I saw a guy play at church one time with an Ibanez that had EMG's. That was a while back though. I don't exactly remember how it sounded to be honest.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Brian Krashpad
168 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I was just thinking...

You know what would REALLY kill at a Church service? A 12-string Rickenbacker.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=rickenbacker+12+string&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Or maybe a Phantom Hollowbody Teardrop 12.
http://www.phantomguitars.com/teardrop.html

Just imagine those 12 chiming strings, amplified and bouncing off of all those hard wood, stone, glass and metal surfaces!

Here's my cheapie I use to try for that effect:

Yep, it's a Daisy Rock. Bought from an acquaintance over on Harmony-Central for under 3 bills. He'd yanked the stock hot mini HB's in favor of single coil toasters from a Brownsville, and since I happened to already have a Brownsville with the same toasters, I knew they'd sound great on a 12 (low-output single coil alnicos).

I've also played my Ric 620 at church. Since I favor the "Vox" setting on my Super Champ XD as my distortion channel, it sounded great.

Brian Krashpad
168 IQ
Quote by Natrone
Actually, I saw a guy play at church one time with an Ibanez that had EMG's. That was a while back though. I don't exactly remember how it sounded to be honest.

Frankly the parishioners would never notice. I'm sure it wouldn't be horrible, just that there are a lot of less-hot pickups out there that'd sound better.
iamawsomeguitar
GUITAR4DAWIN
394 IQ
my guitar teacher used a peavey strat when he plays at church soo that fender should be fine
*gotzguitarskillz* Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

GUITARS

Ibanez rgr421exfm W/ Evos
Epiphone G-400
Some no name acoustic thats pretty good
Richmanofaction
UG's Man of Action
952 IQ
You should def. get a Jackson Rhoads!!!!

Hmm, but seriously, I don't think the guitar would detract from the mass... you should be able to bring any axe into the building as long as you play what you are supposed to play.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Lovecannon
The Baddest
3,851 IQ
Lol I second the devil guitar up above. I'd play that just to piss people off. I guess I'm an asshole like that.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Rattlemuse
10 IQ
What guitar do you like? Amp settings can take you anywhere! Enjoy!
distortion896
got hit by a parked car
586 IQ
Quote by Rattlemuse
What guitar do you like? Amp settings can take you anywhere! Enjoy!

so to sum up today's lesson kiddies, dont post in threads that were created 15 months ago (wink wink, nudge nudge, elbow elbow, say no more)
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Arterial
Dreamcoder
1,735 IQ
does it matter? its just church, no church goers are gonna be like "omg, too much bass on his amp, noob"
Crohny
365 IQ
obviously you need something with a lot of satanic shit on. blood of sacraficed goats and all that. stay heavy bro.

other than that, go and try a bunch of guitars and see which one the divine spirit thinks sucks less. i dont know if hell talk to you though since hes not real and all.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
AlexAngus
128 IQ
Just like there is no such thing as a "Metal Guitar" there is no such thing as a "Church Guitar" - Play whatever feels and sounds good to you.
My stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Special w/- humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Ibanez RG550 1992
Epiphone Wildkat
LTD EC50
Marshall AVT150H
Marshall 1960A reissue
Fender Pro185
A wife who thinks I have too much stuff....